Large Scale Central

New Aristo throw bar

Yes, the stuff to the right. The square that would hold a marker, and the arm that you would lift up and put in place 180 degrees.

In real life the real heavy part you would lift, and drop into place.

Lou … That is the new Bachmann switch throw … nice unit!

Sean, do the 2 little “extensions” come with it?

By any chance did you measure the max throw of the unit? I know a number of people that use other manual throws that don’t seem to throw “enough”

Greg

Greg, there are two settings on the throw mechanism - 6mm and 9mm. The 9mm is the factory setting. That works well for the LGB, Piko, Aristo, and Sunset Valley switches I have here. Each throw comes with three different lengths of throw bar, and also the little extensions you see in Sean’s photo. Two lengths of those. Switching out the throw bar is a simple matter of opening up the bottom and inserting the new throw bar into the mechanism. With the 1:20 stuff, I had to use the medium-sized throw bar so the machine would be far enough away from the tracks to not get struck by the trains.

After the convention last year, I put these throws on all my switches except for the two at the ends of my reverse loops. (See the April '16 GR for photos.) So far, I’m very happy with them. They hold the points very firmly against the stock rail, and blend into the railroad nicely once installed.

Later,

K

Sorry, the double post was not intended

Greg Elmassian said:

Sean, do the 2 little “extensions” come with it?

By any chance did you measure the max throw of the unit? I know a number of people that use other manual throws that don’t seem to throw “enough”

Greg

Greg

I did not measure anything.

You do get three diff length metal rods , with matching tie extensions .

OK, Sean, I suppose I should look at stuff I have bought instead of just putting it in the parts box! I think I have a half dozen of them.

Sheesh!

Kevin, is there any internal “give” in the mechanism, so that, for example, if you only have 8mm of movement, the throw does not “force” the extra mm of travel? Not a big deal, because putting a little flex in the throw rod would probably take care of it.

First time I have actually seen the product, just heard about it. Looks like a lot of thought went into it.

Greg

Yes, there’s enough give for situations like that. And–as you suggest–it’s easy enough to replace their throw rods with brass or spring wire with a “V” or loop bent into it for those situations where you need a little more flex. In retrospect, I’d probably change my rods to brass anyway so they would weather. I don’t know off the top of my head if Bachmann’s rods are stainless or plated, but after 8 months outside, mine are still bright and shiny! I may have to break out the paint. We’ll see how things go this summer.

Later,

K

Good, I am planning on using one on my railroad. I am glad to read that they aren’t cheap garbage.

i like them a lot. I’m thinking of changing out my tennmille throws for them.

Terry

Terry Burr said:

i like them a lot. I’m thinking of changing out my tennmille throws for them.

Terry

Told ya’ to buy more

Dumb question. Where are you guys buying them? I have a number of LGB switches I’d like to use them on. And unless I missed it, who makes them? Aristo (Steve), Bachmann (Sean)? Thanks.

Rich, click on CLICK in the first post!!

Thanks Dan.

I bought them at the ECLSTS from Starr Hobby and RLD.

Sean, Dumb question time, did you just repalce the electric machine that comes with USA #6? I like that set up, and I just saw a video on replacing the target on the Bachmann throw with a lighted lantern that turns when the switch is thrown. 2 Cool ideas.

Pete

Simple answer : Yes

I did replace or just installed the Bachmann switch .

I bought several from Ro’s store stripped …No switch machines period.

They had been used as test pieces.

I do have a powered unit (originally), but I just cut out the power stuff and I’m just using it manually.

For the frogs, I have hooked up a switch to power it depending on positioning of switch… again manual …

BTW; as this thread has drifted from its original subject. Just to clarify the fact that the “New” REPLACEMENT throw bars, are not made by Aristo, but are a completely new design, which overcomes the weak points of the original throw bar. They can be used to replace throw bars on all Aristo switches, and also LGB and USTrains switches.

The other part of the thread which has been added, is directed towards the NEW Bachmann switch stand, or switch throw. It is separate from the replacement “Throw Bars”. It appears that the B’mann switch throw can be used on most switches on the market, and comes with a few parts to adjust its position, when attached to the switch, and throw bar.

Fred Mills

Fred,Steve

The new replacement throw bars work great.

When I looked at some of my switches I noticed the old throw was a mess.

I ordered the replacement throw from http://glxscalemodels.com/featured/new-product/

They were easy to install.

They made it real easy to mount the new Bachmann switch mechanism. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)