Large Scale Central

My First Build

Very cool!

OK so I am detailing the rest of the chassis on this build but I am thinking ahead to the cab and specifically the interior. Now I have seen all sorts of details on backheads and what not. But is there anything else in the back of these littler locos. The Prototype cab is small and there are no back doors just windows,they would exit through the center cut out. I get that. The floor is “sunken” so I assume the engineer and fireman sit on the ledge under the windows? Is there any sort of seat?

There wasn’t much, the box seat probably contained Cotton Waste (a by product of weaving). This is from Argent#6 a small 2-6-0 Be sure to remember the cup holders… :wink:

How come I can’t see the picture John?

Hmmmm not sure, it shows for me. A hot link…

I guess we’ll have to wait until black Fri when I buy more pic space, my present shed has .02 bytes left.

Let me try a trick…

#3 a 2-8-0

Sorry to say I can’t find the source of that cab shot.

I glean photos from museum and Universities’ archives, I open a lot of back doors and peek inside… Kinda hard to remember the occasional inspiration…

I posted it as an attachment ‘over there’ opened it and copied the link for here… It did notta work.

John

It worked fine. Otherwise I was going to have you email it to me and I was going to put it on my Freight Shed. I have lots of room.

That’s a different loco.

Either we wait until Fri or I can send it to ya. The unseen is a better pic, answers Devons question better. Has seats.

Was funny, my wallet is out to re-up my shed space, then Benevolent Bob offers a deal… I’m back to sitting on a lump.

John Caughey said:

That’s a different loco.

Either we wait until Fri or I can send it to ya. The unseen is a better pic, answers Devons question better. Has seats.

Was funny, my wallet is out to re-up my shed space, then Benevolent Bob offers a deal… I’m back to sitting on a lump.

I was able to see both. They both offer inspiration but I do love the “seats” in the first one. Bt both offer some good ideas. I like the angle iron at the base of the fire box attaching it to the floor and I also like the rivets on the “seat”. It is a good way to get some detail inside the cab.

Here it is John…

OK so here is the steam and sand domes I made today. These are made with PVC parts. 1" for the Steam dome and 3/4" for the sand dome. Each one take two plugs, two couplings, and a piece of pipe. I cut almost all of the insert portion of the one plug off leaving only enough to glue it into the coupling. Then the coupling/plug is cut a little longer than the length of the top of the dome. a piece of pipe is cut 1/2" inch longer than the length of the body of the dome. that is glued 1/4" into the top coupling/plug and the other in the other coupling. The other plug is then glued into the bottom coupling. That made the blank. This is the steam dome the other is made the same way.

Next it is chucked into my lathe. Now I have a dead center in my tail stock and had trouble with melting. I worked through it with various attempts to remedy it all were temporary. I had to finish by hand with a file. I have a shop smith so this lets me switch components and I replaced the lathe thing and used my drill chuck for the sand dome. I put a bolt though the plug and chucked it up and used no tail stock. it didn’t work to hot with chisels but I could rough it out and finish with files and sand paper while rotating. It worked. All in all both methods worked but the lathe is best and would need a live center with ball bearing in the tail stock to prevent heating up.

After words I added a small bead to the top of the sand dome and added the pipe attachment points made from styrene tube, styrene sheet, and styrene hex rod for bolts. I added a piece of PEX and 1/2 round rod to the steam dome top and filled it with putty. Here is the end result.

Here is the picture I was after.

Very nice Devon.Looks like you nailed it.

Great job!

MIK would have liked the bead!

John

So, did anybody else notice the label on the glue? I don’t think it can be extreme power if it’s medium

Tom
I am offended. I turned some pretty cool domes on my lathe and all you notice is my glue…:slight_smile:

Yeah, we can be like that… :wink:

hehe

Starting to look like a locomotive. In this picture most everything I had built to date is installed and most of it painted black. I glued on the domes, the smoke stack base, headlight base, the other cylinder and steam chest, added the cross head and support bar, the side rods are done, add the nut thing that attaches the pilot truck, the pilot supports are on, the bell is on. Not in the picture but done are the oil lines to the steam chest, and the nuts on the pilot support brackets.

I had a little snafu when I went to install the cross heads. they hit the front wheel crank. I used the picture for cylinder placement but ended up being to narrow for the bachmann wheels. So I had to separate them and move them out about a 1/8 to 1/4 inch each. All n all the whole thing is coming together nicely. Still need equalizing springs and bar for the second and third diver, I didn’t like the first ones the new ones are much better but not installed yet. The first drivers also need springs. Then I will tackle the pilot truck. After that I will have to take on the cab before all the controls and pluming an be located.

Still a long way to go.

Interesting how the photo came out. The stack and light do not actually lean forward like that. they are straight promise.

This is really turning out great!