Large Scale Central

Motivated to Complete the Outer Loop

Great looking track work! Looks like some high speed running is called for.

Bob Hyman said:

Chris,

The fake rocks are made from acrylic. Same stuff as used in spas and pools. They’re only about a quarter of an inch thick and are fairly lightweight. I got three of them (all identical) at Home Depot a few years ago when they were on close-out for $25 each. I seem to remember the original price was around $80 each.

I don’t know if it’s a nationwide sale, or local for the Chicagoland area, but Menards has fake rocks on sale this weekend, saw it in their Memorial Day weekend flier this evening. $20 for small, $25 medium, $30 large.

“What was it the Engines said,
Pilots touching,–head to head
Facing on the single track,
Half a world behind each back?”

You may recognize this as the opening stanza from Francis Bret Harte’s poem commemorating the opening of the Pacific Railroad in 1869. Well, I have borrowed it to commemorate the completion of the 365 foot long outer loop on my Choctaw Coal and Railway Company’s line. Sure, it may have taken me a bit longer than it took the UP and the CP to build the Pacific Railroad, but they had a few more workers than I did.

CC&R engines #5 and #6 brought company VIPs from both ends of the line to witness the completion. They met at the highest point on the line at a spot that will someday become the boomtown of Aurora. Since funds were limited, they decided to forgo the traditional golden spike for a solid aluminum “Split-Jaw” to join the final rails.

After I get the track properly ballasted, I will post a video tour of the loop. Thanks all for your encouragement and motivation to get this loop completed.

Bob

Your Welcome…:wink:

Job well done Bob.

Chris

Looking good Bob. Hope to see you again in Massachusetts. I think you proved at Ken’s that you have a good mind for solving swithcing puzzles and don’t let the juidges get you nervous.