Large Scale Central

More Fun With Coroplast

Bart, why did you double up the thickness of the coroplast on the freight shed?

Jon Radder said:

Bruce Chandler said:

Your cans sure look better than my cans.

Corner Rooster

Thank you Jon!

:wink:

EDIT :…You guys are the BEST!

Bart,

That tank came out really nice. I gotta try working with that material someday.

Chuck Inlow said:

From the EBT Shade Gap thread…

Bart Salmons said:

Since it finally decided to stop raining…I haven’t really worked much on this …at the last ECLTS I went to (musta been the last one Yogi atteneded) he showed Bob and I how to make clapboard siding outta coroplast…so I gave it a shot…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bart_salmons/_forumfiles/shadegapcon02.jpg)

Basically ya just cut through one side of the corrugation and roll it causeing the top to tuck under the one above…this does weakend the strength of the wall, so a subwall was necessary…Another trick Yogi taught me was to use the corner trim for bathroom paneling for corner trim…imagine that …I found it at Lowes in the bathroom Dept…it actually is tight enough that the walls are held together without being glued…(yes they will get glued anyways…)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/bart_salmons/_forumfiles/shadegapcon03.jpg)

Its a shame Yogis site is gone…there was so much good info there…Guess I’ll try to redo and share some of what I’ve learned…

OK two good tricks - the clapboard idea and the tincan shingles. I like 'em both. Thanks, Bart!

Chuck Inlow said:

Like Steve said…adds strength to the walls… I actually found its better to glue the two wallssections together, weight them down so they lay flat, and then cut the coro for the clapboards afterwards, ends up much neater looking…

Bart, do you run the plies at 90 degrees to each other?

No…the ‘grain’ goes the same way…what weakens the outer wall is slicing through one side of the corrugation to get the individual board effect. if it wasn;t for that the coro would be plenty strong on its own…

This looks like a project I can do (or at least attempt). I’ve got some campaign signs and can cut them up.

So you doubled the thickness of the sides, and reinforced the corners with what? half inch square wood? What did you glue the panes together with? Some sort of contact cement?

So many questions, so little time!

Well the trim corner moldings do a fair job og holding the walls in place. but I did put 1/2 square timbers in the corners to provide additional glues surfaces… i used Lawn And Garden GOOP…The Official Adhesive of The Bartwerks…

Hey Bart, can you post a finished photo, or more on building with coroplast, there seemed to be a lot of forgotten signs this year, a day after the election!if there are any more threads anyone knows about let me know, I would love to learn more on this rolling technique for making siding

Pete Lassen said:

Hey Bart, can you post a finished photo, or more on building with coroplast, there seemed to be a lot of forgotten signs this year, a day after the election!if there are any more threads anyone knows about let me know, I would love to learn more on this rolling technique for making siding

Ken has done a lot with the stuff. Check in modeling. He is currently building with coroplast.

Coroplast rules! I’ve been using it for false fronts. I got mine from political and other advertising left by the side of the road. Here’s the latest one.

Nice work!!! Love the tin roof and the siding… I need to try this stuff out…