Large Scale Central

MLS Forums offline

Fixed

Can’t say completely Greg, at least on my confuser. The home page loads fine ,everything else is still a mess.

You might have to clear the specific cookies for the site, but before that, do a forced refresh on your browser, control shift r on firefox

just hitting refresh is NOT the same

Greg

Meh, lately I have been calling the site My Live Steam because most of the activities are on the live steam forums. I haven’t posted there in years now, I still haven’t forgiven the technochimps for the great Thanksgiving photo massacre.

There are also newbies that “landed” there first in need of help, but I agree mostly the LS group is the attraction.

Also, something new is screwed up, you can’t post youtube videos any more, you get a blank box… and you cannot post embed code either…

circling the drain…

Greg

That’s why a site needs someone who cares, in charge. That is why we should all thank Bob. He cares, and addresses issues and glitches, instead of letting them fester until the whole site becomes a train wreck.

David,

I agree with your observation. Haven’t been on MLS in years. It served its purpose, but out lived its usefulness to me. Lots of good documentation over there and its sad that its lost. Life goes on.

LargeScaleCentral is the place to be. Well managed and great people on the site.

THANKS BOB

I’m surprised that most of the LS forum haven’t switched over to LSC. Its much more user-friendly.

Shawn Viggiano said:

I’m surprised that most of the LS forum haven’t switched over to LSC. Its much more user-friendly.

My guess is that we have a couple members of whom LSC I’d their last resort, having worn out their welcome elsewhere, and who are >< this close to getting the boot here as well.

Well, before you put a size (whatever your boot is) up someone’s behind, I hope you would give them a warning first. I know that I get goofy at times, and I would like the opportunity to do better before being on the outside looking in. If I were to make the “Boot List”.

Hi Folks;

I have been lurking for a short time and this is just a personal observation - not intended to ruffle feathers or kindle ire. I came back recently during the latest SNAFU over at MLS. I too think that that site has diminished considerably since Shad had to sell it. I have stayed mainly because the live steam forum is active and beneficial. I now have four of the smaller live steamers, so I enjoy all the tips and insights on that forum. HOWEVER, after the recent unpleasantness it is very obvious to me that the days appear to be numbered for MLS.

I will probably be considered a “nut case” by the more serious among those modeling because I love the writings of J. R. R. Tolkien and trains. SO, in recent years I have begun to “model” equipment for the Brandywine & Gondor Railroad, set in the relatively peaceful and prosperous Fourth Age of Middle Earth. It may be goofy, but it sure is fun. A plus is that without any prototypes, rivet counting becomes moot.

There will be photos once I learn how to post them. Currently I have files on my computer, but nothing with an online photo hosting site.

Anyway, I already know lots of the names I see here, so the site seems “homey” enough.

Regards,

David Meashey

P.S. Thanks for all the nice comments and the instructions on posting photos. Christmas music & concerts have us a bit busy right now (My wife and I are in a church choir, a handbell choir, and a steel drum band.), but I will get a start on my Freight Shed options once all those concerts are over.

Welcome David.

Hope you stick around, there are a couple of tutorials on posting pictures available on the site.

Welcome David,

We’ve talked ‘over there’ in the past.

When you joined you were given space in the Freight Shed, see header > manage my folders > upload pics here and then transfer to post using pic location of opened pic.

It is suggested we use 800 pixels wide. If you size before uploading it will save your space, but the pic editor can resize when posting.

I bought a Ruby kit last year and I intend to build her this year, you are not alone.

This is a good tribe to join.

Hi David!

Tommy

Rio Gracie

Welcome. Another familiar face and name.

Hi Dave! Fantasy railroads are OK by me!

Welcome aboard Dave. Tolkien had a great mind. I recall some of your post on your RR(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Dave Meashey said:

There will be photos once I learn how to post them. Currently I have files on my computer, but nothing with an online photo hosting site.

Regards,

David Meashey

Dave,

Welcome to LSC.

Here is my guide to posting photos and videos that works for LSC. Use your free Freight Shed to put them on the server and post away!

Video Embedding

This topic has to be re-mastered every time the site owner makes an upgrade to the software. For this incarnation the procedure is…

1. Grab the embed code from the YouTube video (directly on the video) right click in OPERA (copy embed code); right click in FireFox (Copy embed code); right click in Chrome (get embed code);right click in IE (get embed code).

2. In the reply window click on “insert/edit video” button in the top row (looks like a movie frame), and select “Embed”.

3. Paste the embed code (copied from YouTube) in the box and click “OK”.

That’s what we all found works now. Some day down the road we will have to find a new way for new software, but for now this works. Have fun!

Photo inserting

1. Start by uploading your photos to a server. You have storage space in the Freight Shed on this web site.
  2. After they are uploaded, click on the file you want to open.
  3. Once it is opened, RIGHT click on the picture and select copy image location. DO NOT use the url in the address bar of your browser.
  4. Next click on the insert photo button in your post and paste the image location in the source line.
  5. Look at the dimensions. You will see them if you click on the first box (height). Make it 800 then click on the second box and it will automatically be correctly scaled.
  6. Then hit OK and your photo will be in your post.

Hi David, it’s been a while, great to see you!

Welcome aboard, David. Fantasy/whimsical is perfectly fine over here. We love all RR modeling. If you have any video/audio of your choir and band, we’d love to see that too