Large Scale Central

Matt Kirichok build 2017

Matt Kirichok said:… make sure I center it next time

I dunno, it kind of harmonizes with the character of this place; I’m pretty sure more than one member here is a little off center. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

And for some reason I can’t fathom, I’m hearing “There are not the smileys you are looking for” in Alec Guinness’ voice.

I like the rusting effect. Looking good.

Matt Kirichok said:

@Todd,

I can give it a try. Want the text a certain way or some image, or is the smiley what you’re looking for (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

No, I’ll have to PM you after I finalize it.

Thanks!

well, I felt I had left the logo in the vat long enough. When I took it out last night, instead of drying it off like I had, I left it wet. When I woke this morning to check on it, it turned out to what I was looking for. here is it against the type of wall i’m planning for the building…

Now, I’m finishing off the logo on the barrels. Then back to the building. Need to get those doors and some other windows done before I glue the wall together. (then it needs a roof…hmm, maybe some home made Taylor tin…)

Hey, that worked! “Homemade Taylor Tin” has a nice ring to it.

You done did good on the logo. Did you make the barrels you are using or did you buy them?

I had bought the barrels last year for this winery. I had no plans to when I was going to start this project, and when I saw what the object of the build challenge was, I decided to use this project for the build. I think I had gotten a bakers dozen.

Thanks, Matt

That sign came out great. And it does not surprise me that it rusted up after being taken out. After all rust is oxidation so it stands to reason it would react better in air. I will be trying this out.

Thanks to you, Devon, you gave me that idea. I had lots of tin plate around that I’ve been saving, just no copper/brass laying around. I had to look up how to rust tin plate, only found how to rust up metal - Hydrogen Peroxide, white vinegar, and salt. I think the Hydrogen Peroxide and vinegar solution was an 8 to 1 solution. Then I just added salt to taste - lol.

Thanks for the solution formula. It came out very nice. Now it will continue to oxidize. If you want to freeze the process you will need to clear coat it. At least that’s the story for copper.

Thinking on this a bit, you submerged the sign in solution right and then took it out and dried it and it wasn’t turning like you expected? The when you took it out and left it wet and exposed to air it turned? Well that makes sense to me and I think I might have forgot to pass on the most vital part of the copper process which would stand to reason it would be the same here. For the copper you build a gas chamber, I used a plastic container with lid and wove wire through the middle. You then wet a paper towel with the solution in the bottom. Set you metal suspended resting on the wire and spray down with the solution. and seal it. That way the metal is not soaking but instead is wet with solution and then exposed to air a the same time. you only want the metal damp. When it is submerged the oxygen can’t work on it.

Just a hint for next time.

Well that makes a lot of sense and it reflects what I experienced. I got the solution from this ‘Instructables’ entry. They sprayed the solution, so I didn’t do it right. I’m glad I ‘accidentally’ discovered the solution.

Everyone’s builds are looking GREAT! I love it. Then I look at mine and think that I started off great, but have been delayed. The workers ordered some new metal roofing and then found out that it was back ordered. They finally got some good news that they were loading up the delivery truck and would be shipping the metal plates soon so they would arrive this weekend. Wow! Just in time.

Matt,

what are you using for the tin roof?

oh, you like the homemade taylor tin?!

I’m using some thin metal sheeting that I was given by Yogi Wallace way back at one of the ECLSTS.

This has used up my supplies. 84 sheets are to be delivered this weekend, if I’m good, I might get them by tomorrow. Still working on the doors. I’m expecting them to be done by tomorrow, then I’m hoping to finish this up (at least the main building) over this weekend. That’ll give me next week and next weekend to finish up any details that I see I’ll need. Like the little workers (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Was it already corrugated or did you use a crimper

I used a Fisker paper crimper after cutting the pieces to size with scissors. Using gloves helps with keeping down the metal cuts.  Hmm, don't ask me how I know 

I wondered about that I just bought one and have been playing with soda cans. I like the results

You might need to play with how much you squeeze the crimper. I took a plastic tie wrap and tightened it on the handle to the amount I needed to squeeze to get the results that look good.

Finally, the four walls have gone up.

The glued stones are now drying on one face of the building.

I want to do more, but I don’t want to mess things up, so I’m going to take it easy at the moment. Time is running short so I’ve got to plan and see if I can do some steps at the same time vs. one at a time.