Large Scale Central

Looky here what I found on Ebay...unfinished HO microlayout

I am, but I ran into a big snag. The “HO” fence I bought on Ebay arrived and was found to be bigger than G yikes! I am negotiating with the seller on refund and return, but dam I really needed the fence sections so I can set the last building in place. Until I can get the right thing, I’ll have to focus on something else, probably the car repair scene.

Vic Smith said:

I am, but I ran into a big snag. The “HO” fence I bought on Ebay arrived and was found to be bigger than G yikes! I am negotiating with the seller on refund and return, but dam I really needed the fence sections so I can set the last building in place. Until I can get the right thing, I’ll have to focus on something else, probably the car repair scene.

Is it very special HO fence? I have a largish HO stash of very many fine things, insluding fances. Just let me know.

HJ I was looking for an ordinary low wood picket fence, 3-4 HO scale feet tall. I got something that could keep an HO scale Godzilla at bay.

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Vic Smith said:

Is it very special HO fence? I have a largish HO stash of very many fine things, insluding fances. Just let me know.

You getting lubricated again, HJ?

Steve Featherkile said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Vic Smith said:

You getting lubricated again, HJ?

No, I don’t have that lubricating problem, but I was hurrying like crazy, someone with … on his brains suggested it.

Vic Smith said:

HJ I was looking for an ordinary low wood picket fence, 3-4 HO scale feet tall. I got something that could keep an HO scale Godzilla at bay.

OK I’ll have a look at the shop tomorrow.

Mike Morgan said:

I can’t help but wonder where modelling skills have gone .

When I got my first LGB (when it first came out) there were no buildings or accessories , so I built my own .

Now it seems if you can’t get a kit to exactly fit your requirements , you don’t bother .

Try scratch building , especially building bridges (which is what I am doing here) , the bridge have to fit a particular spot , bending the track round to fit a bridge can look artificial .

And I have to add , Vic seems to be having a lot of fun building his mini layout , it shows . It’s very good .

Mike, yes, I wonder too. The RTR and built up market helps bring into the hobby, folks who haven’t developed those kinds of skills yet. But it seams to me that those skills aren’t being passed on, nor developed by many folks in the hobby, in all scales.

I had a fellow club member ask where I got the dual gauge track with gauge separation sections that I have on my HO module. I told him the I hand laid it. He asked again where I got it, as if I was keeping a secret from him.

I had a gentleman get kind of indignant at a train show, when I told him that I scratch-built my trestle. He said something like, yea you built it, but where did you buy the kit? I tried to explain that I took some pine boards, and made scale lumber on my miniature table saw, and built the trestle from the lumber I made. He didn’t like that answer.

But I do have to say I was a bit flattered when another club member told me he thought my scratch-built N scale trestle and bridge was a laser cut kit.

Kit-bashing and scratch-building skills are developed by trying, failing and trying again. Learning what doesn’t work can sometimes be as helpful as learning what does work.

And getting advice from experienced and talented modelers is very helpful. That is why sites like this are great for those who want to learn skills they don’t have yet.

Thanks HJ, let me know, there’s a fence coming up due on Ebay in a couple days if you dont have something, I only need about 12 inches of the stuff.

HJ If you don’t have anything let me know . There’s something on Evilbay that will work.

Progress, major scenery is complete:

Still need a few more details and autos on the street side and the overhead trolley wiring is going to be really tricky to set up, but at least the alley side is about 90%

Like any good ‘artist’ I always sign my work LOL