Large Scale Central

LO&S #10

David Russell said:
Asking for map date as the town of Quarryville I believe quarried brownstone that built some of Middletown PA (TMI 1979 Dick Thronburgh). Discovered this on house research years ago not RR research. Ashamed to say ...didn't even know the LO&S once existed! :(
That could be, Dave. Quarryville was known as Barr's Quarry before they changed the name. As for a date on the map............I have no Idea, but the LO&S only lasted about 50 years, from 1862 to around 1920.

Don’t feel bad, I never knew it existed either till I got curious about the ROW I could still see outside of Oxford.

(I’m lovin this…you guys are awakening my brain cells…anything else anybody want’s to know about?..:wink: )

Ric Golding said:
Randy,

I just know of them in New Jersey. Also found out last year with 3 under 5 grandchildren, they don’t have public bathrooms.
Wife succeeded at begging the use of the one in back. Lady behind the counter was a Grandma, also?

The older Wawa’s don’t have bathrooms, the newer ones with the gas pumps do! There’s a Wawa in Middletown DE on 301, that I use a lot when running from FL into Philly in the truck. I’ll park in the back and spend the nite there.

The one we ended up at was near Tuckerton on Route 9. Maybe north of there. I was surprized, but Jan and daughter, Andi, succeeded in taking care of all the kids’ needs. :wink: I do think chocolate milk also got involved in the final resolution.

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/chat/emoticons/good.gif)

Ken Brunt said:
SNIP

anything else anybody want’s to know about?..:wink: )

can you explain the life cycle of a honey bee???

Sure, and you probably wouldn’t know if I was BS or not…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
Sure, and you probably wouldn’t know if I was BS or not…:wink:

It can get pretty complicated…

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/thejoat/_forumfiles/BelushiBee.jpg)

What loco type in that pen & ink drawing of Glen Mills ?

Dave Marconi said:
What loco type in that pen & ink drawing of Glen Mills ?
Hollywood..... it's a steam engine.... :)

I think that was an old Fairbanks-Morse that the West Chester Tourist line was using at one time. It used to be parked on a siding next to the Lenape Forge.

— In [email protected], “kenbrunt” <rgseng@…> wrote:

Does anyone know if or where there are any plans or scale drawings of #10? I know a few people who would like to make a model of it and could use any help available.

Ken

Ken, if you use the search engine for this group site, you’ll find that it has been discussed here before. Kline’s article and a drawing appeared in the Nov/Dec, 1980 Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette. A much nicer drawing of the car appeared in the same magazine’s Jan.,1977 issue.

Actually Ken, if you use the search engine for this site, you’ll find that nearly everything LO&S-wise has been covered on this list at one time or another. Misters White and Cole, with help from the rest of us, see to that.

Hope all had a wonderful Christmas, 2010.

MBuckelew

Thanks Ken, I’d say that should answer most anyone’s questions.

I’ll keep on the lookout for anything more if it’s out there…:wink:

To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2010 7:53 AM
Subject: Re: [LOandS] Re: LO&S #10

Andrew “Andy” Holzopfel, of MD had been working on a corrected drawing of the LO&S #1 motor car, including the correct lettering. I need to give him a call, so will ask him if he has any files he’d be willing to share…

Bc

To: [email protected]
Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2010 9:23 AM
Subject: [LOandS] Re: LO&S #10

Joe,
The only evidence of the car being Motor No. 1 on the LO&S is a picture of the car being boarded at Fairmount, (Kline page 73). Maybe the great folks at Strasburg missed that one, or didn’t look closely. Or, and this is likely, they already had a No. 1 at Strasburg and didn’t want to confuse people.
Stan

— In [email protected], jay hueber <lv4142003@…> wrote:

You know, that brings up an interesting question. Since Ben Kline was an active guy at the Strasburg RR, and was around when the motorcar was brought back, and certainly knew it was #1 on the LO&S, why did he let it stay numbered #10?
That number was given to it by the Wolfeboro RR in New Hampshire. It was numbered 12 on the Grasse River when the Strasburg bought it.

Cool video and pics, very neat stuff! That old stone house is beautiful.

Ray Dunakin said:
Cool video and pics, very neat stuff! That old stone house is beautiful.
There's a lot of that style of architecture around here, Ray. A lot of the time you'll see a smaller wooden or log cabin style structure attached to it, that at one time was the original house and as the owners became more prosperous, the larger stone structure was added on. As was mentioned previously, the stone was probably quarried from the Quarryville area. I don't know if that style has a Quaker influence or just a use of the local resources.

I should mention also, that a lot of those style houses were built with hidden doors and rooms in them. They were used as station stops on the Underground railroad of Pre-Civil War days to hide the runaway slaves as they made their way north. Another Quaker influence in this area…:wink:

Ken Brunt said:
Big Snip--- I should mention also, that a lot of those style houses were built with hidden doors and rooms in them. They were used as station stops on the Underground railroad of Pre-Civil War days to hide the runaway slaves as they made their way north. Another Quaker influence in this area..............;)
Ken, after the Underground Railroad was merged with the Union Pacific (wasn't everything?) what were those rooms used to hide? :P

Corn squezzin’s :slight_smile: :wink:

They were probably just used as a closet or for storage. Some were forgotten about and after the home was sold and renovations being done on them, like the house up the street from me, the rooms were discovered.