Large Scale Central

Lionel 4-4-2 Re-build Project

More work on the Tender.

We had to building the Reed bracket. Ours are very smaller so we make our own.

Then mounted it to the front tender truck with adjusting screws.

After wiring reeds up to the sound card and wiring in the back up light we did a few test and really sound good. By mounting the sound card under the coal load , It easy to access the sound card.

Tender back together and need to be lettered for Santa fe & Butthead Cove R.R.

Next is the tear down of the Eng. then instill the new plug to the Tender and Chuf Reed. Also, add more Wt. and repair the firebox flicker cir.

Thanks Sean. It is a fun project until you break the darn glass reed and have most of the Eng. back together for a test run. Good thing I have a bunch of reeds. Anyway I took it all apart again… Sniff

Just a note.

"For sum that haven’t done this, be careful on taking out the carbon brushes and the springs. I use a pointed tweezers to grab them and on the springs, stick the points inside of the springs and they will come out with tweezers holding them… Sure is a lot better that trying to fine them on the floor or where ever they go. "

Here is a photo showing the mag’s being quartered and lots of room inside the wheels.

There is a indent on the side of the motor block. This made lots of room to install the Glass Reed and is protected. " Wish other Mfg’s. did that."

Note: I made a center line mark on the motor block where the mag’s. will cross the Reed.

Then we did a test run with the tender plugged in for the sound test. "Hot Damn with a bunch of horse puppy. "

Wow…It work fine and really sounded great going in slow speed.

Gave up on the darn flicker board for the fire box. The voltage reg.is not working right and have to have it get up to 10 volts or more to make it work right… Should of took it of the sound board.

So for now just a blinking amber LED.

Now… I get to have fun getting the thing back together.

After have it back together, we are doing some small details for our R.R. specks.

Added tool box’s under the tender where I had to remove a lot of detail for the speaker hole.

Add Curtains for the back of cab and floating foot boards for the fireman.

Add brackets for the home made Shovel and Oil can.

Finished adding insulation for the Sierra sound sys.

I just printed out some lettering for what I want to used and added to clean plastic with contact cement/spray. This made it look like a hard board signs.

Will just glue them with Walters goo to the Eng. and Tender.

I still need to get some Simi Gloss Clear to spray and seal them before adding the boards to the Eng. and Tender.

I tied to get the lettering off the tender and had no luck, so going to have to cover them.

Now waiting for the rain to stop to do another test run of our Nbr 2005.

Really happy how this Little Lionel 4-4-2 Eng. came out.

Just took a little work to add more power to our Santa fe & Butthead Cove Railroad pass svc…