Large Scale Central

LGB Toy-train Crane

Finally figured out why I couldn’t insert a picture. Don’t have my mouse configured for right click. Now need to find out how to rotate.

Dan, i added the crane to the Timesaver and use it to off load Tootsie pops.

So that’s the crane you were telling me about! Nice work as always Jim!

Dan, awesome job! I have wanted to build a working log loader to run in my log trains and to use on modular displays, but wasn’t sure how to do this. But this gives me some ideas :wink: which motors did you use, are they the ones from Phil’s narrow gauge?

Aaron Loyet said:

Dan, awesome job! I have wanted to build a working log loader to run in my log trains and to use on modular displays, but wasn’t sure how to do this. But this gives me some ideas :wink: which motors did you use, are they the ones from Phil’s narrow gauge?

Aaron, are you speaking of the Playmobil crane in Jim’s post ? If so, they are gear motors either from All Electronics or I may have purchased them from Ebay. They’re quite powerful for their size, about 1" in diameter and maybe 2 1/2" in length. I believe they have 6mm shafts which is close to 1/4" in diameter. Then I had to find toothed pulleys and timing belts which I found here;

https://shop.sdp-si.com/catalog/

Not being a mechanical engineer I experimented and with a bit of trial and error figured out the best combination of belts and pulleys and got it to work.

Jim Agnew said:

Finally figured out why I couldn’t insert a picture. Don’t have my mouse configured for right click. Now need to find out how to rotate.

Dan, i added the crane to the Timesaver and use it to off load Tootsie pops.

Jim, that’s great. I tried saving the photo figuring I could use the rotate option if I moved it to my photos, but I too couldn’t figure it out.