Large Scale Central

Leona Timber Company Build, Part 1

I can’t take credit for the module design, like all good people I stole it! (In this case from Al Pomeroy) To connect the modules you place a piece of 4" pvc between them and screw the module to the pipe. Then slide the pvc over a trimmed 4x4 on a deck block. Slide the PVC up the leg to set elevation and fasten to the leg with a lag screw. Below is a picture of this setup on Al’s railroad. I will not be building deck style roadbed like Al, instead making a ladder that will fasten to the top of my modules.

Sean said:

Track power will be snap with that pole right there…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Track Power?..We don’t run on no stinking Track Power, we use batteries!

I may tap into it for building light power, if I can get the right resistor…lol

Thanx for the explanation Chris

Ron

Hey Chris, looking very nice, this is going to be a great follow along.

Dennis

FINALLY I’m starting to put up my initial bench work. This was just the first section, in total I have 3 put up today. Need to modify my construction procedures for a one man operation. Now, only 59 more modules to go.

Great start, Chris!

Really looking forward to seeing your modules add up!

Chris is needing another hand your biggest Problem?

Question

Is the pvc pipe cheaper that the 4X4 ?

Chris Kieffer said:

Need to modify my construction procedures for a one man operation.

I know how that goes…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Love it! I wish I would have built mine like that 15 years ago. When you are done with that one, I have a job for you. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Dennis Rayon said:

No, I just need to set up temporary supports and make the connection first, then set the legs. Hopefully I will be back to it this weekend once it stops raining.

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Question

Is the pvc pipe cheaper that the 4X4 ?

It’s about $7 a post for the PVC, which is a 12" (roughly) piece. What it allows me to do, is make corners easier than using a straight 4x4, and I can slide the PVC up or down the 4x4 to fine tune elevation at each post. Once I have it where I want, I will lag the PVC to the 4x4.

I know it’s way to late to comment on materials, but for future reference: They make 4x4 square PVC posts for fencing. It is designed with an inner dimension slightly bigger than a 4x4 wood post at about 3.75" ID. We use them for signs with a 4x4 inside. Using a square post would eliminate the need to trim the upper end of the wood post. It would require things be lined up nearly perfect where the round PVC pipe doesn’t much care.

EDIT: Looking at your set up and track plan again…

The square post sleeve wouldn’t really work with the angles at the connection point. It was a good thought though.

Carry on!

Hastily put together video as I was trying to get it done and the stuff down before the rain came (which showed up 24 hours later)

It will give you a rough idea of what and how the first part will be done. Sorry about the wind noise.

Chris,

That was really helpful for my understanding of the method. Almost like an erector set for grownups, I love it!

Such a fine “backbone” structure. Will you bulge it out for towns or industries and such?

If the ground settles under your piers, there’s opportunity to adjust heights, right?

I’ll bet you’re having a lot of fun!

Cliff

Cliffy,

Yes I will be adding to the structure where needed for sidings, towns, industries and the such. In the end, it won’t be just a spine with track on it.

If the ground shifts, yes I can compensate for that.

I will have more fun when it quits raining and I can work on putting it back up.

Chris