Large Scale Central

Leona Timber Co. gets a Depot

The Quarry stone Dave supplied for the contest had straight edges, it was the surface that was irregular. I’d say your random sized stones convey ‘hand cut’ pretty well, now step back and try the 10’ gaze, close your mind’s eye and take a new gander; Looks dang good doesn’t it?(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

PS; many times: the bay window was originally where the Station Master would sit so he could see headlights or smoke coming. Then set signals and order hoops as necessary. Tickets were sold at a counter inside …

John

I’m not really changing the lines, just taking the sharp edge off the cut. It looks pretty good at the 10’ rule, problem is you will be about 2’ from it on the layout. It is one of those things that has bothered me from the time I did it, so I will always know it is there. So it is a good time to “fix” it.

You are right about the window. I had changed it from a ticket to station masters bay. That is why the windows look that way. I incorrectly referred to it in the previous description. That window will be one of the few interior places to have details.

Chris

Looks great so far!

I have the large end wall done. I used a small ball end on the Dremel at low RPM and ran through all of the block joints. Some blocks I took pieces out of the corners to give it a more weathered look. The whole wall was repainted, washed and drybrushed. In all, there are 8 colors in the paintwork.

I am much more satisfied with the look. Now I just have to do the rest of it.

Before:

After:

Chris

I am contemplating something I need thoughts on. Working on the porch roofs and I need to change the posts. The originals are 1/2" square and they set in too far.

Original:

So my thoughts are the following:

Simple Wood Post moved forward and reduced in size, probably 5/16":

A Stone Post, probably 3/8" square:

Or no post at all and go with typical roof brackets:

Any thoughts?

Chris

Chris I would stick with the smaller wooden posts. The stone posts look like someone had too much time on their hands and the roof brackets are nice but would they be seen without getting on one’s hands and knees?

Mick

Mick Benton said:

Chris I would stick with the smaller wooden posts.

Mick

I agree

I decided the depot needed a special feature. So I’m working on adding a clock tower. It will have two faces on it that are in the peak ends. From the mid trim board down, it will be stone that matches the rest of the depot. Where the face goes, I think I’m going with Stucco. Plan right now is to use copper on the roof of the tower itself.

Here is the former with one of the faces taped on.

Enjoy,

Chris

Looking really Good Chris I believe the Stucco is great idea

Dennis

Very nice!

With the different shapes and textures this is gong to be a fun building to look at.

Just a quick update since I have actually put some time into the depot. I have all of the windows and doors now, and have been putting shades in some of them. I have also started shingle work. The shingles I’m using are redwood shingles from Ozark Miniatures. So far, I have installed almost 1000 of them in the areas you can see.

Just drop a quick cell phone photo. Will try to get better ones later.

Thanks,

Chris

Shingles are definitely worth the time.

playing devils advocate, why not go to the hobby lobby and find an appropriate sized battery powered clock and fit it in there? I am eyeing one my wife has in the bathroom as possible clock tower on something? Awesome job on everything Chris. Probably around 90% of us would have just painted and then placed the building just as you bought it.

Edit to ask how you get cell phone pictures resized to fit here, Never been able to do that with my Samsung Galaxy X4

I considered it. But once I apply all the texture, it won’t be removable. Wasn’t sure how weather tight one of those would be so I just went with this method. I set it to 4:00 because that is quitting time at work. Seemed appropriate.

Chris

I got distracted by some shiny stuff, and haven’t give this the attention it deserves. I have the stone work on two sides of the tower done. As well as adding more shingles. I also have 2 brick chimneys to build.

Chris

Quick update. Track side shingle work is done and I’m turning it around to finish the street side; which is already half done. Lost a month due to a “shipping error” on my second batch of shingles, so I’m a bit behind. So far, I’m close to 3000 installed.

Chris

Nice look! Thanks for sharing.

Chris

Looking very good, your shingles is really adding a lot to the structure

Good Jod

Dennis

2 thumbs up on that one. (BTW, you need to change your calendar)…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)