Large Scale Central

Launching my web site

Joe Rusz said:

Pete, Once again, great advice, so thanks. I had heard the “pages too long” song before. But I don’t know what long means relative to short, as to me they look like they look, which is how they did when I made 'em. So how do I shorten them? BTW, maybe I’m too close to my creation (Ya think?), but I love how my site looks when you open it, especially when it opens on the home page with my smiley puss and the red Turbo photo. I was at the mailbox store inquiring about scanning some of my Porsche Sport annual stories onto a thumb drive so I could reprint them on my site (a normal home scanner won’t cut it because the pages are 10 x 10 inches), and when the guy opened my site, “Bam,” up she comes and just looks so cool. To me, at least.

BTW, take 2: my wife was on the Crystal Cruises site checking out a future cruise, and that is one great looking thing. Looks to be self-adjusting too, as it fills the screen. Her complaint is it takes forever to load (we are on crappy dsl at 0.74 Mbps), but I suspect that’s because it is so heavily content laden. And yes, we do love cruising on Crystal. They are tops.

Joe,

I was messing with MTPA and I confirmed that the “page settings” is where you set the length [right click on a page in the blank space and click the gear wheel for page settings.] You can make the length 100, and it will adjust to the length of your content, I think. It always grows to fit, but never shrinks!!

I often make ‘scans’ of big pages by putting them on the floor and taking a photo. Scanners tend to produce the dots of the old printing press, whereas a photo won’t - it blurs them so you don’t see them. See the two below - the loco is a photo taken of a page in a book, the other is a scan of a 300 dpi photo in a book. (Well, on my computer you can see the dots - I guess shrinking it when attached made them go away!)

Joe - I like what you’ve done with the place! My brother and son (the car guys in our family) will love it - sending them the link. That brings me to my only critique: JoeRusz.Com leads to the 2017 Turbo page, not the home page. That might just be a page naming issue. By default, a URL leads to the page named index.html - I see your home page is Index2.html - don’t know if that’s the problem or not.

Jon,

Well first, thanks! Ya made my evening. Of course, I already had my vino, so your post just tops off my evening. And yes, I do know that the new Turbo is “home.” I did that temporarily in order to get some clicks from search engines looking for “Porsche.” I am a shameless self promoter because I am an only child spoiled rotten by a lifetime of attention. It ain’t about the money–anymore. I will revert to “Home” being the home page prolly this week, as everybody and his bro had the new Turbo up on their sites. I have some new stuff, though, actually, new/old, as I plan to run excerpts from my best-selling, Porsche annuals, once we get the scanning thing sorted out. At the Porsche Club today I chatted with a guy who has this travel photo site (travelswithstephen.com) and he said he has that self-adjusting software that fills in the screen of pretty much whatever device you’re viewing on. His site looked good on my Samsung tablet. He said he’d get back to me and tell me what the name was.

Know what, though? Trying to have a site that stays topical is a bee itch. Ya gotta keep feeding the beast, which is why my trains are in various stages of completion all over the house. No time. And who said retirement is boring?