Large Scale Central

Is acetone best?

The smaller scales have been using graphite recently for enhanced electrical contact. I’m not sure how graphite would work outdoors, but for an indoor layout it might be worth a shot.

Greg, have you used graphite in your Z scale modules?

I use graphite in my switch machines because it does not attract dirt. It does lube plastic nicely.

John

Graphite reduces traction too much on Z scale. We wipe the rails with 99% pure isopropanol alcohol.

I often try a bit of DeOxit, on the rails, which leaves just enough film to retard oxidation, but not affect traction. (DeOxit is some magic stuff, see my site).

Greg

I agree, Greg. I’ve used it to clean wheels and contacts. It’s expensive (to me at least), but seems to last a while. A light squirt on the wheels, followed by a few drops of ATF on the rail, and I’m good to go! I’ve noticed after a rain, we had a pretty good one (nearly .25 inch – about 6 mm ) rail needed to be scrubbed in a few places. Couldn’t tell if it was just mud, sap from trees, or the ATF, or some combination, that caused the problem.

I’m wondering how well ATF and water play with each other. A quick application of my scotch brite pad and I was running trains!