Large Scale Central

Information Needed

Yes but why are they there? They seem to be rare in Armspear lanterns. Maybe they were made with the extra venting for a certain climate or maybe a specific railroad. Thought it might be a clue to aid in identification.

Quick search on eBay and I see the ones with extra vents are L&N B&O and Penn

Are they all the short globe variety? If so, it might help the lamp from being so hot, since they don’t have the taller glass, which moves the flame further away from the person holding the handle.

Just guessing…

Greg

Can’t help in identifying what “RHP” stands for but, for those of you who do Facebook there is a group called Kern River Junction. There’s a guy on there that is real knowledgeable about railroad lanterns. He may know or he may have been one of the other bidders!

Steve

Hmmm. whadya think?

Thanks for the info Steve and Dan.

I am one of those Luddites that don’t do FB. You know “They” are watching us.

Great. Now I gotta look up Luddite.

Lud·dite
ˈlədˌīt/
noun
noun: Luddite; plural noun: Luddites

a member of any of the bands of English workers who destroyed machinery, especially in cotton and woolen mills, that they believed was threatening their jobs (1811–16).
a person opposed to increased industrialization or new technology.
“a small-minded Luddite resisting progress”

Sorry you didn’t get it Lou. Seems like it was a rare one. Thanks for prompting me to learn more about lanterns. I have quite a few “barn” type that we use to define the area cleared for skating on the pond or when the power goes out. I’d been replacing some of the cheaper ones with the high quality Feuerhand and now I’ll be looking for these old RR types too!

I have made some into bird feeders. Maybe I’ll bring some to the Drag & Brag.

Very Cool!!

If it was RFP —Richmond Fredericksburg and Potomac.

Also, I like the feeders, now, how do they get the seed?

Look at the bottom row of small holes. You will see one larger hole per section. They get the seed out through there.

I will bring some for sale to York. They are also available with the Special LSC Discount! They cost a little over $10 to ship. I believe I currently have red, yellow, and green available. Birds like the brighter colors - I asked them.

And back to Dan: the Armspear that takes the higher globe does not have those extra holes, so I would agree that they may be for extra air circulation with a shorter globe.

Dan Gilchrist said:

Sorry you didn’t get it Lou. Seems like it was a rare one. Thanks for prompting me to learn more about lanterns. I have quite a few “barn” type that we use to define the area cleared for skating on the pond or when the power goes out. I’d been replacing some of the cheaper ones with the high quality Feuerhand and now I’ll be looking for these old RR types too!

Well, I like my barn type lanterns, and they are inexpensive at Wal-Mart or yard sales. And they come in real handy sometimes.

When I hang up my Adlake SP RR brakeman’s lantern, the red light attracts some strange folks(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif).

I don’t put it out much …(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)