Large Scale Central

I need to change my web brouser

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Steve Featherkile said:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:

Been running OPERA for years, then I upgraded to the most recent version and was really Hurried right back to the last really stable version (12.14) before they started all the hoopla. And there I’ll stay until it’s time to go.

Good Grief! OPERA is now on version 20.XX. Haven’t they got those bugs fixed yet?

I have a working ver.19 on the 'puter and when I checked today it looks like they fixed a few of my “no way, Jose” items. Right now building turnouts has priority, I’ll be checking when I get the time.

PS there was a lot of push back from the install base when they changed things, I wasn’t the only one heading back to the old versions. Matter of fact there as a site that specializes in old OPERA versions.

Alan, if you have a REALLY old version of Firefox, it won’t update to the latest version.

I would guess if you have Opera version 12 you could be in a similar situation.

By the way, for people who have Firefox and have been updating the same installation over and over… after a while the accumulation of updates goes bad…

Just save your bookmarks to a file… uninstall FF, clean registry, make sure the firefox directory is gone (or delete it) and then reinstall. This is a typical situation, not just firefox, but almost anything that goes through so many updates.

Greg

OK, I’m confuser challenged. I’ve saved my bookmarks to a file, but now what do I do with them. Per HJ’s recommendations (its all your fault if this goes sour, HJ), I’ve installed V 12.14. of OPERA. In fact, I am speaking (typing) to you on OPERA V 12.14. So far so good, at least no magic smoke. How do I install the bookmarks from FF into OPERA? Can it even be done?

Steve Featherkile said:

OK, I’m confuser challenged. I’ve saved my bookmarks to a file, but now what do I do with them. Per HJ’s recommendations (its all your fault if this goes sour, HJ), I’ve installed V 12.14. of OPERA. In fact, I am speaking (typing) to you on OPERA V 12.14. So far so good, at least no magic smoke. How do I install the bookmarks from FF into OPERA? Can it even be done?

File>Import and Export> Import FireFox Bookmarks

Thanks, HJ, found it

Greg, my Firefox version is 28.0 the latest. The Opera 12.16is what I referred to when Steve gave some other version numbers. IE is version 11, rarely used. I never got on with Chrome or its Comodo Dragon variant.

Yesterday my desktop pc would not operate it either ‘froze’ or just shut down.

I disconnected it from the router, printer and monitor with a view of a trip to the recycling dump. However, I gave it one more chance. Connected it all back up gain and so far. since I returned this afternoon from the second funeral this week it has worked well. I did change Bitdefender for Comodo anti virus but I do not think that was the issue.

Alan,

Your signature is weird. I actually understand the sailing part.

Just today, I tried Opera, Chrome, FF, and IE on an internal web server in one of our new products.

I instructed the developer to concentrate on HTML5 compatibility in the web server pages, and wanted to try it out.

A frustrating exercise in using them for myself, as I found you cannot have a bookmarks sidebar in either Chrome or Opera… I have way too many bookmarks (organized in folders) to do without this feature…

Greg

In the first instance I have to apologies to Steve: there is an Opera 20 version. I was surprised as my Windows 7 is happily running, on their latest they tell me 12.16 version.

I got rid of the old XP pc and have replaced it with a Windows 8.1 op. system. I have been using pc’s for 11 years and whilst not a techy do know how to deal most of the day to day use of a pc.desktop.

W8.1 is quite different although once yo have spent a day or too it slowly becomes more familiar.

However, when I installed Opera it did give me aa version 20 programme. I had problems and put in the earlier 12.16 version. In the end I got rid of both and use IE11 and Firefox. IE11 seems OK but I do like to use Speed dial or Fast Dial as home page and IE11 does not seem to have it. I am reluctant to install a programme made for an earlier version.

Firefox presently will not store passwords, the box is greyed out. I tried their RESET but it made no difference. Luckily all bookmarks - the amounts of which is something I share with Greg - do import between browesers.

I have thought of Chrome again even if I did not like it originally.

Ric: the sig is similar in manner, but much older, than the Lewis Carrol version:

If you don;t know where you are going, then any road will take you there.

I might change the sig after all the very busy Easter period is over.

Firefox fix: 1. uninstall, 2. clean registry, 3. delete old mozilla directory if still there, 4. install fresh copy. Happens sometimes when you have updated several times.

Regards, Greg

It is a new pc desktop and first installation for all programmes Greg.

Chrome seems better than when I last encountered it and have installed Speed Dial 2, which is new to me, in favour of the other i.e. Fast Dial and Speed Dial. I can see why many have had struggles with Windows 8 and 8.1.

Hopefully, apart from a few minor tweeks, I have it all as I want it.

Famous last words? lol

Alan, if you have these issues with a fresh install on a new computer, you have a problem. You must have a very intrusive av or firewall somewhere. I’ve probably installed FF maybe about 500 times in my life… never had it fail to be able to store passwords unless there was a problem with the computer…

Maybe you have some software that stores passwords for you?

Greg

Greg:

Frefox issue resolved, it was private browsing and not remebering history boxes that caused the prolem.

Chrome working fine, so I have three browsers that are OK. No need for Opera anymore on W8.1 desktop.

Holy Week, with the run up to Easter, means lot of services and extra work, so I have not had my mind too focused on my new pc. Thanks anyway.

Ric; Hope you like the new sig. lol

I bit the bullet and upgraded to OPERA 20. Other than the crummy bookmark manager - importing all that stuff is a pain, but a bit of pruning has been long overdue - everything I need and like is there.

The bookmarks across the top will work just fine, especially since my old ones are nested and I can do the same in ver.20

So far, so good.

PS I was hoping that those empty spaces after the post content would go away in ver. 20 NOPE still there. >_<

Well, I tried Chrome on both my desktop and laptop but was not too happy with it when I accidentally clicked away my Speed Dial2 feature. Could not seem to restore it. That was two days ago.

So, I looked at Opera again - I had got rather attuned to it. Lo, and behold it is now version 21, so I installed it on the laptop. Quite happy with it once it was within my acceptance tolerances. Do miss some of the bookmark features however but most of what I use daily is on the Speed Dial tabs anyway . The H.Q. of Opera is in Norway, so I feel at home because Norwegians regard the British as Norwegians - but just mad Norwegians. lol

I then installed it on the Desktop, with matching features to the laptop.

Chrome has been removed from both computers.