Large Scale Central

I got scammed today :(

any call i get, i just say: “diga?” (say?) - if they say anything else, than their name, i go on with: “con quien quiere hablar y quien sos?” (with whom do you want to speak and who are you?) if they don’t comply, i just tell them, that they missdialed and hang up.

until now (knocking on wood) only one scammer passed this first screen.

said, he was our local police comisioner, the name of my business and that he needed my help as local merchant. long story short, his son had an accident, and he needed money for an emergency surgery via cellphone payment.

i told him, i needed to buy some telefone cards to be able to transfer.

i called my friend, the real comisioner, who aplied for screening of incoming calls for my phone, and went to our local policestation, we hooked my phone to a speaker and recorder, just in time before the scammer called again.

we “caught” him, but he couldn’t be arrested. the caller was an inmate of the federal jail. but they confiscated his cellphone…

Korm Kormsen said:

…the caller was an inmate of the federal jail…

You sorta kinda gotta at least give him credit for making use of his time–you know, Mayor Curley, the mayor of Boston, ran the city from his prison cell for a while!

Well this is certainly turning into an eventful week…

Today I was bringing Cris home from her hair appointment, and just around the corner from our house, we spotted wisps of white smoke coming out from under the eaves of a neighbor’s house. I realized that there must be a fire inside, so I pulled over, called 911, and banged on the front door to see if anyone was home. Already the smoke was much thicker and brownish, and getting worse by the second.

When the firefighters arrived, the cut holes in the roof that release billows of this smoke, followed by huge flames. Here’s some video I shot:

https://youtu.be/IVq931xyb3Q

And tomorrow I’m being interviewed by a local TV station for a report on Monday’s scam.

Nice pro type video there Ray . I just kept wondering when the fire boys were going to pour the water…!

I had almost the same thing happen here about 40 years ago, only much closer. I was sitting on the back porch drinking a cup of coffee one morning and noticed smoke drifting across my back yard. Walked down to the driveway and the house next door was billowing smoke out the eves. Called 911 and gave them the wrong address, 16 instead of 14 Pennview, then moved my cars out into the back yard since the house was on the driveway side. Fortunately the house was for sale at the time and empty. Turns out the realtor had showed the house the day before and someone had played with the thermostat and the fire had broke out around the heater.

Sorry, I didn’t get a video…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ray Dunakin said:

Well this is certainly turning into an eventful week…

Today I was bringing Cris home from her hair appointment, and just around the corner from our house, we spotted wisps of white smoke coming out from under the eaves of a neighbor’s house. I realized that there must be a fire inside, so I pulled over, called 911, and banged on the front door to see if anyone was home. Already the smoke was much thicker and brownish, and getting worse by the second.

When the firefighters arrived, the cut holes in the roof that release billows of this smoke, followed by huge flames. Here’s some video I shot:

https://youtu.be/IVq931xyb3Q

And tomorrow I’m being interviewed by a local TV station for a report on Monday’s scam.

Geez Ray, sorry to hear that.

He also had a jet land in a house less than a block away as I remember…

Greg

I once heard that most fatal accidents occur within 25 miles of home.

So I moved.

Greg Elmassian said:

He also had a jet land in a house less than a block away as I remember…

Greg

Three blocks away, but still…

BTW the channel 10 interview got canceled, the reporter was given a different assignment and we couldn’t work out another time for it.

Ross Mansell said:

Nice pro type video there Ray . I just kept wondering when the fire boys were going to pour the water…!

The holes are cut to vent the structure, let the heat and smoke escape so an interior attack can be made. If water is sprayed (for lack of a better term) through the vent holes, it forces the heat and smoke back into the structure creating backdraft conditions and also forcing the heat and smoke down onto the firefighters and preventing an interior attack.

Thanks for explaining that method of firefighting, Pat. Very interesting. I could see sprays of water shooting up out of the opening from time to time, but not much of that made it onto the video.

Steve Featherkile said:

I once heard that most fatal accidents occur within 25 miles of home.

So I moved.

That’s the funniest thing you ever said!!! Yogi Berra would have been proud of you!!

edit: wait a minute, did Yogi say that?

Sorry they cancelled the interview. Back in the day – way back in the day – I was woken up early in the morning for an interview by a reporter from one of the LA news stations. It was to be the first time I had ever been on radio or TV and when I got to work I sat in my car all morning waiting for them to run the interview. Unfortunately, Karen Carpenter died that same morning and they ran that story all day long and I never got to hear the interview. An aunt told me she finally heard it three or four days later. I’m still mad at Karen …

Pat McCarty said:

Ross Mansell said:

The holes are cut to vent the structure, let the heat and smoke escape so an interior attack can be made. If water is sprayed (for lack of a better term) through the vent holes, it forces the heat and smoke back into the structure creating backdraft conditions and also forcing the heat and smoke down onto the firefighters and preventing an interior attack.

Thanks for the explanation…

Wow, Ray… So sorry to hear of both incidences. Bad news on the scam and the fire…

Great reporting video.

We have a couple retired firefighters in our little rural model train club and they often express distressed amazement at how much time current fire crews spend after arriving before they are getting water on the fire.

I think they have to wait to get electric power off before flooding a residence with water.

https://www.firerescue1.com/firefighter-safety/articles/282267018-Electric-power-safety-for-firefighters/