Large Scale Central

I got dad-napped

Eric Schade said:

Cool! The engine has an English look to it!?!?

Playing in Google found this from five years ago,

Residents of Sapucai celebrated like a national holiday with traditional music and dance over the return of the steam trains once run by two former British-owned companies, Central Railway Co. Ltd. and Perry Cutbill De Lungo.

The railway carried cargo and passengers from its official opening on Oct. 21, 1861, until it finally shut down 140 years later.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765612291/Paraguay-breathes-new-life-to-its-steam-train.html

Shunted…

Ross Mansell said:

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Eric Schade said:

Cool! The engine has an English look to it!?!?

Playing in Google found this from five years ago,

Residents of Sapucai celebrated like a national holiday with traditional music and dance over the return of the steam trains once run by two former British-owned companies, Central Railway Co. Ltd. and Perry Cutbill De Lungo.

The railway carried cargo and passengers from its official opening on Oct. 21, 1861, until it finally shut down 140 years later.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/765612291/Paraguay-breathes-new-life-to-its-steam-train.html

Should that not be a BRITISH look to it.?

Don’t suppose many say a loco has a New Mexico look about it or a Montana look…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

.A 'moot 'point as a Scotsman would say .

A lot of British money went into the railway scene down in South America and a lot of the locos were British built.

(In 1906/7 financial period, British investors earned a total of £13 million (pounds) in dividends from S. America alone.

At one time investment in railways around the world by the UK was estimated at £3660 million pounds!)

They also had considerable investments in US railroad companies…

well,

pics resized - check

pics uploaded - check

pics in the right folder - doublechecked

this place must have been one of the main maintenance places.

all the tools, that are too big to be used on moto bikes are still in place.

one of the sheds must be about 100 years old. the other from the 50ies or 60ies.

That reminds me of the shop in Orbisonia on the EBT. Everything still setting where they left it as if there coming back the next day. Nice piece of history you have down there!

Gee, with a little (lot) effort, you could have a 1:1 scale railroad up and running. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

with a little effort…

my wife doesn’t even let me restaurate a green dragon (english firetruck from the fifties) that could be done with three to five thousend $$.

and i’m afraid, restoring a 1:1 rairoad would be a bigger effort than that.

i am beginning to ask myself, who took all those pics. the camera must have been at “auto” setting.

well, some pics of the buildings.

a tank. might it be out of a tender?

the former office building. note the shoestring-posts they used.

for studying how to weather corrugated sheets.

the dadnappers…

well, they used old rails as posts in buildings.

but this was the first time i saw some rail from a Bachmann starter pack in 1:1 scale!

aparently at first (1860ies) they used hollow rails. the pics did not catch it well, but the hollow is about 1" wide and a wee bit deeper.

these rails must be 4 to 4 1/2" high, including the foot. the length is a guesstimated five to six yards.

the connectors - ready for use…

hmmm, i think, i got pics for two more days.

Man, this site just keeps getting more and more fascinating.

And yes, for corrugated metal sheets, and wood, both.

Formed metal rails were used in Briton, the Bachmann knock offs you took pictures of.

Those 'connector’s as were used in Britain are known as fishplates…(fishing… term used when two parts are joined by another supporting piece or pieces as in repairing a ship’s mast temporarily.) Most modern main line rail is welded these days but some rail still exists with these plates placed either side and bolted, joining lengths of rail…

All the rail on the C&T and the D&S is stick, 30-32 foot sections.

Dave, that’s because CWR (continuous welded rail) came into regular usage long after those lines were built, and ceased operations hauling goods for revenue. Rails that were to be used on narrow gauge railroads were cut to fit on the narrow gauge flat cars, where as rail that was to be used on standard gauge railroads was cut to fit on standard gauge flat cars. So most standard gauge stick rail is about 39 feet long, to fit on a 40 foot standard (at the time) standard gauge flat car.

Yes, Dave. I know you know this. But I was posting more for those who didn’t know.

Ross, i thought about using the word “fishplate” but then i supposed, that would be inadequate, thinking it would be used for modeltrain connectors only…

today’s pics are of the kind of things, only Ray can model well.

the former office building received all the stuff, that had not evaporated before.

note: in most museums one finds some explanations and/or descriptions to explain the shown objects. here was either nothing, or pics showing the objects, when still in use.

(who says, that culture needs literacy??)

the telefones and central shown are the same models, as we used here until the mid 90ies.

on the tables are Morse senders and writers. we didn’t have those… even our military was modern enough to use short and long wave radios until the 90ies. ;-))

well, above this exhibition of a very nice asian toy train in front of a historic photo was the exception. a sign! it says “don’t touch!” in spanish.

this nice handwash basin looks, like it came out of a first class car.

note the older seats. they are built upon some kind of resort-feet. aparently they didn’t confide much in the tracklaying crews.

look at the “gauge sticks” used for spacing the rails.

pre electric times MOW lamp.

for the next and last group of pics i saved the most interesting piece of roling stock we found there.

hint: it has its own power, but is no loco…

not only the locos, but the workshop was powered by steam too.

they needed lots of water. hence a big and high watertank.

when i come that way in the future, i will take a look if it will have tumbled down. notice the bent post in the frontrow.

so, last but not least:

here it is, the crane.

old,

unkempt,

British,

and steam-powered.

many levers and wheels. must have been complicated to work with it.

so, that was it.

with a better camera and a better photographer it would have been more.

maybe, next time in the capital i find some time to make pics at the (museum) central station.

thanks to everyone for the friendly comments.

oh, nearly forgot…

i might have a clue, where our traveling rooster ran to.

The crane is very interesting.

what astonished me, there were no “outriggers”. no legs to fold out sideways.

I love that water tank. What an unusual structure

Korm, Overall, it seems to me, that it wasn’t such a bad weekend after all, Trains, rusty stuff, and quality time with the kids…

Definitely built before OSHA. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Steve that’s why railroad men of that era usually had a finger or two missing.