Large Scale Central

Hello, new here

Shawn Viggiano said:

Welcome Bart. You came to the right place for help and ideas. Starting out small is a good idea until you figure out what you want to do. I only have about 150ft and have no plans on expanding. I think 150ft is a good size for what I run and the time I have. You can do a lot with a garden layout from just watching your trains, to operations or get into live steam, something more hands on and allows you to interact with your train more. Whatever you choose, You will find it a great way to relax after work.

Hello Bart and I have to agree with most of what was said here. I too have a small railroad. Mine is about 150 feet or so, 2 reverse loops with a meandering and twisting single track mainline. It was planned out to be stage one. 15 years later and stage 2 has yet to be built. I have fun with mine, even though it would probably bore the heck out of others. So, rule one is, or should be, have fun. Despite what someone else may say about what you are doing.

Hey Bart,

Glad you introduced yourself. Welcome Aboard!

Welcome Aboard Bart!! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)Lots of great guys and stuff on here. Don’t hesitate to ask questions here, everyone here is willing to help out or answer questions… Travis

hello,

when i thought about what good advices i could give you, i remembered so many mistakes of mine, that i’ll settle for a simple: welcome!

Welcome, Bart.

Welcome aboard Bart.

Welcome aboard Bart

Wow, gone for a couple days and come back to all of this! Thanks for making me feel welcome. I will be digesting all of the info in this thread the next little bit. Hopefully soon I can put down here some more of my initial thoughts, wants and questions about what might be possible. Maybe by end of summer a diagram of the yard with some ideas sketched out for opinions and review.

For now, is there anyone here near Swift Current who would consider touring me through their railway? I could so a day trip on a weekend maybe 3 hours out one way give or take if we can make a day work.

Thanks again!

Bart

Bart B. ;

Welcome to our hobby and THIS forum (there are 6 others that i’m aware of and skim thru) !

Glad to hear you’ve decided to no longer be strictly a lurker (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

You mention visiting AKP on the westcoast … were you able to make it to SUPERTRAIN’17 ? AKP actually made it across the rockies again this yr (after a 3-4 yr hiatus) so if you had been able to take it in, made some purchase from them or even from at least couple other g-gauge vendors ---- none of those official shpg costs ! That said reading your intro’ you may not be ready to make purchases yet.

Decisions like, scale 1:20.3—22—29----32 ?

Just went thru Swift’ on the 5th, on the way back to the HQ of the RBR/PSR (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)Stopping (1220) at your regional ‘PeaveyMart’ (clean washrooms) plus is a decent vendor during timeline after (our)Thanksgiving to beyond Christmas for 1:32 farm/construction vehicles. Sadly only a couple 1:24 pcs. (for a couple yrs i spent time trying to convince their corp. buyer to stock more 1:24…but no joy).

Actually stopped again at THE road allowance overpass east of ya (35min ?) on the TCH to catch a west bound mixed cp manifest. In top 5, personal fave railfan spots along the TCH btwn here and hometown (neighbourhood of “CNWestTower”) of CentralCanada. Shoot video of the uppers on the locomotives and rolling stock. This stop also had a couple modelrailroaders (ho)/railfans pull in the same timeline to catch the train heard chattering on their scanner. These 2 (also from YYC) were on their way to the Regina train show occurring within 40hrs. Their club modular layout was somewhere behind them in a trailer, cruising along the TCH. They shot stills and I shot vid’ !

My go-to G-gauge flavoured tech’ website back in late '98 and even now at times,

http://web.archive.org/web/20140810061542/http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips.html

Also sent you a PM !

Doug C

p.s. maybe you know ---- what is the story on that pedestal-mounted helicopter on the acreage east of Swift ‘, north of the TCH ? Has me thinkin’ either european import or a retired regional first-responder … a very unique lawn ornament ! No really safe place to pullover, otherwise I would have a pic’ by now (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

p.p.s. “…looked Swift Current up…it looks to me like you are in heaven on earth! Tiny town out in the middle of nowhere except stretches of awesome beautiful landscape, TWO golf courses (Chinook and Elmwood) and you have a railroad running right through the middle of town….”

The railway is CP mainline !

Welcome Bart

Isn’t the Saskatoon model engineers society up there ?

OK, so to address some of what I’ve read in this thread.

I do live in the middle of nowhere and the CP Rail line does run through the middle of town and there is a big yard and I hear and see it daily, but I do NOT have a big yard to make this work. I wish. It will require some serious planning and changes. That is one of the big mental blocks to address. Maybe I will walk up the bridge some evening and shoot the yard for you all to see.

The helicopter on the stick east of town is owned by my sister-in-laws boss so if you want some info I’m sure I can get you the contact information and maybe even permission to photograph it. It is a weather vane.

Saskatoon is about 3 hours north of me. Swift Current is only 16.5K people so very hard to find like minded anything to keep things interesting. I always seem to be interested in the off stuff not the mainline things others like. All these guys in other cities have been great to talk to at train shows however that is never the same as being closer.

Scale will be 1:29 because USA Trains makes a GP38-2 CP Rail engine. I do not know what to do about a steam engine yet. The area I want one to run can only accommodate a diameter of 5.5 feet which I know works for the 4-6-0 from Bachmann, but I do not know what scale they are or if one can ever be found to buy. I’ll be looking for advice/suggestions on this one.

I am not going with a particular era or setting to model. So freelance. That said, I won’t be mixing and matching just anything.

I will want new engines, but will look at new and used options for rolling stock.

I think I want Kadee couplers. Seems I hear a lot about those.

I am looking at Revolution for control and Phoenix P8 as the sound. I am debating adding that later on and just using a simple power back for the initial loop. Phoenix recommended the P8 module based on using a Revolution for control.

I am looking at steady DC powered track. Revolution had a recommend on that power pack, but I do not have that information handy at the moment. I believe it was 300 amp 24 volt non-variable DC supply.

I am looking at TrainLI for the Nickel Brass track and would like to hear thoughts on that as well as their rail bender. Seems like a lot of money to bend, but perhaps it is money well spent. I haven’t read anything negative about the NpB track and I like the idea of less cleaning.

I want at least two trains to be able to run at once in both hands on and automatic for when I just want to sit and watch.

I am looking at sidings and spurs to add interest. I still consider this to be a train going around in circles which is the second mental block, but I also know that without some switches and sidings it would not have enough visual appeal at all for me.

I think buildings will be kept to a minimum as will roadside things such as signals, etc., but this could change. I can see a couple stations for example and some signals even if they only have a steady light for effect and not really do anything.

I am hoping to have at least on over/under area of track, but this will require considerable planning in a mostly flat yard. I have some ideas though.

Planning will be very important to me so all the pieces of the puzzle will fit together. Research is also big on my list and I am making my way through all the links mentioned here. By the looks of it, I will be busy for a while.

I think this covers most of what was asked/mentioned. Still lots of learning to do. I won’t rush in to be sure. Not spending money twice as someone mentioned.

Bart

The Bachmann 4-6-0 is supposed to be 1:22.

I think you made a typo, 300 amp supply is overkill to the extreme. Unless you plan on doing some serious arc welding.

Just because you don’t know of any model railroaders in your area, doesn’t mean they don’t exist. Some of us prefer to keep a low profile in our neighborhoods.

Sounds like you are trying to think this through first, and that is a good thing.

As for the railbender, I recommend one. Yes its an expense, but it makes making curves so flipping easy. I tired curving track without one, and while I got curves, I also got kinks. Kinks aren’t good for track reliability.

I guess 1:22 may have to do the job unless there are other options when the time comes.

Yes the 300 amp version would be for my very realistic lightening strikes! I think it should have been 300 watt perhaps.

I get that there may be “lone wolf” garden railway guys here, but I really could use some around that aren’t. That has been an ongoing problem with hobbies I have tried. Just me doing them. There are less expensive hobbies if I want another one to do by myself. I’m still looking. It is a concern though for me.

Lot’s of thinking for sure. Got a bit of an overload last night again so had to scale back. So much to try and learn!

Bart

Bart keep at it. Through online sites like this one, I have connected with several garden railroaders that I didn’t know were out there. As long as your are posting here, there is always the chance that local garden railroader will find you.

Welcome aboard!

Good plan so far Bart. For scale have you thought about 1:24 scale. Hartland locomotives has a few nice engines and rolling stock all 1:24 scale. Especially their 4-4-0 and the Big John. Its closer to the 1:29 scale you want and should work together depending on what you get. Even bachmann 1:22 scale should look ok with Hartland. Just another option and it allows you to mix things and make it work as long as you aare not a rivet counter lol…

Shawn Viggiano said:

Good plan so far Bart. For scale have you thought about 1:24 scale. Hartland locomotives has a few nice engines and rolling stock all 1:24 scale. Especially their 4-4-0 and the Big John. Its closer to the 1:29 scale you want and should work together depending on what you get. Even bachmann 1:22 scale should look ok with Hartland. Just another option and it allows you to mix things and make it work as long as you aare not a rivet counter lol…

I did look at them, but not really what I had in mind. I like the basic black and unlettered so I can make it into whatever I want for my freestyle type ideas. I found they have way too much colour that reminds me of a toy instead of “real”.

Also looked at Piko but do not like what appears to be slding pick-up pads underneath. Not very realistic to look at. I probably will have problems with any kind of steam engine. I don’t see a lot of options and don’t fully understand how any of them can have all the various third party electronics installed. There is also the scale issue so they look like they belong. It’s a frustration on my OCD mind. Haven’t come to terms with mix and match of scales even though anything outside is not really going to be in scale for the surroundings. Still so much to understand for a nn-builder/non-tinker kind of guy like me. I really just need a crew to execute my ideas and leave me out of the planning on how!

Bart

Welcome aboard!

Edit: Oops! I already welcomed you once. Well, I guess you’re just doubly welcome!

Ray,

I’ll take this “Welcome Aboard” off your hands and offer it to Bart! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)