Large Scale Central

For You B&O "Diseasel" Fans

That is actually worse then fitting a safety cab to a n E unit.

David Maynard said:

That is actually worse then fitting a safety cab to a n E unit.

That is a very strange Prototype. Thank you for sharing. If I had seen that as a scale model, I would consider it not complete and lacking a lot of detail parts. How plain.

There is a prototype for (almost) everything. Here in Pittsburgh they fitted an LRV front to a PCC.

There is a story to that E unit cab. Without cheating and looking, I think it said in a 1980s issue of Diesel Spotter’s Guide that it was named Crandall Cab in honor of a maintenance fellow who had a heart attack while trying to start or restart a loco in bad winter weather.

Now, off to check my memory.

I’m back.

Okay, there it is, pp 126, 127, in Kalmbach’s 1979, 1980, edition of The Second Diesel Spotter’s Guide Update.

They were ex-UP E9Bs. 11 were done first half 1973. They were to take over from F-units in suburban operations. It was M. H. Crandall who designed the cab. He was Assistant Superintendent of Motive Power and died in January 1979 of heart attack while indeed working to start a loco in a blizzard in January 1979. His name was put on 502. Which may be that plate under engineer’s window.