Large Scale Central

For those who operate

Dennis,

Yours is the old “Model the common or model the out of the ordinary?” question.

Of course there are railways that run Loop to Loop, but certainly not as many as point to point.

As for magnets between the rails, did you miss how many mentioned the “uncoupling by hand”?

I got a kick out of Jon’s kicking the cars and finding out that the small bumpers behave just like the big bumpers at that velocity and mass.

Dennise,

Yes there are operations just like the ones you describe. We have one train in our operation, that while it doesn’t use a loop of any kind; is described as an "Ore Drag. It just pulls loads from a mine to an interchange; returning with empties to the mine.
There are times when we can hardly find a crew to bid on that job. They consider it too boring.

Most people start off enjoying the simple and wonderful opportunity to just see a train run. There is something about a locomotive with a string of cars winding through the garden scene. A long drag behind a giant Dash nine appeals to many.

Our experience around here; is that, that sort of “Running of trains” is nice for a while, but soon brings the question from observers or people new to the hobby;
“What else does it do ?”

In order to keep the operations enjoyable to the majority of our gang; we have to provide interesting and changing “Senerios”. Running in circles, can be enjoyable once in a while, to show off new equipment, or equipment not used in our operations.
For that we have “Run what you brung” days. Usually once every second month or so.
Our pike was first designed for "Point - to - point operation, and then a connecting track was introduced to provide a continuous run, when needed.

I get the feeling from some; that to suggest such a thing as “Operations”, is a crime, and many get all uptight about the whole idea, that someone might find the “Roundy Roundy” , also called “Lionel mentality”; boring.

A few of us are only making suggestions on how we all can find more ways to enjoy the hobby of Model Railroading.
None of our suggestions are meant to tell anyone that their way of finding enjoyment, is wrong for them.

A number of years ago; I suggested point to point operations, and even just “Operations”…and caught bloody hell over on another web page…as if I was threatening their whole way of existance…egads
Needless to say I don’t visit there very often…too many closed minds.

Funny how these days; “Operations” is a whole section of a forum, here and on other web pages. Garden Railways magazine even has articles on the subject, and there are computer programmes to help.

Just for the record…The IPP&W was first designed way back in the early 80’s, with operations in mind. (I came from an HO background where operations were a must, in order to attract any intrest at all)

Fred and All,

I always like the statement “You can find a prototype for anything”. And yes, this is where I bring up the amusement park ride, which is “operations”, but also many times just a circle of track. And then, of course, we have the point to point with minimal or no sidings as many commuter lines are.

I’ve been reading about the “Murphy Branch” of the Southern Railway, which much of it now is the Great Smokey Mountain Railroad. The grades in some areas are so steep on this standard guage railroad that they sometimes have had 3 GP9’s pulling 5 freight cars.

Fred Mills said:

Just for the record…The IPP&W was first designed way back in the early 80’s, with operations in mind. (I came from an HO background where operations were a must, in order to attract any intrest at all)

Fred,

What’s missing in garden railways is an easy fool proof way to build a spaghetti bowl layout with umpteen tunnels and everyone standing there guessing which tunnel that train will pop out of.

Like watching a freshly mowed field with a lot of gopher holes. :wink: :slight_smile:

Fred Mills said:
....with some people using a mish-mash of couplers together; I have to ask what some of you consider as "Operation" ?
Well, I admit to having a few other than Kadee couplers, but the majority are Kadee, primarily because, as Warren said, our club has standardized on Kadees. I, too, get frustrated by the non-standard heights. I own 3 height guages, because they seem to walk away...

On my RR, since I have many priorities to satisfy, I sometimes accept non-Kadees for a time, until I find the time (usually winter) or the dollars to change them out (do I buy a bunch of couplers or that slick new boxcar that just came in?). It takes a bit of fiddling, but most knuckle style couplers can be encouraged to work together. It is not perfect, but then, neither am I, just listen to my ex. :smiley: I use Bachmann couplers on my logging train, pulled by a Bachmann Shay. I use Bachmanns on a set of Bachmann 1:22.5 passenger cars pulled by a 1:20.3 Bachmann 4-4-0 wearing South Pacific Coast colors. Why change them out since this is basically a unit train? I use USA couplers on the USA wooden billboard reefers that I have a small collection of. I’ve found that if you are careful, you can whittle the coupler shank of the USA coupler to size and slip it through the box that USA modeled as the coupler box. This fits the Kadee height guage perfectly. You have to have wide curves to make this work, but then my minimum is 10 ft radius. It looks great, too.

I suspect that a lot of us are in the same spot that I am in, primarily Kadee of various ilk, body mount exclusively as we find early on that truck mount doesn’t work if you are serious about operations. A few other couplers are still hanging around, with plans to change them “someday,” but for now, they seem to work fine where they are used.

madwolf

I looked at all the great photos of the IPP&W at the web site , wish I could operate there during the invasion sometime , now I see why Ric makes the trip every year .
The IPP&W looks so large , it reminded me of the operations in this area of a HO layout that was so large that my son and I worked the South end of one yard that aslo had a crew on the North end of the same yard , …it has been featured in a couple of magazines , and it really is a operation .
All this operations posting , I went out to my layout and at the Inglenook type yard and did some operating , and performed the local operation as per the ICC requirements .
run em if ya got em

Dennis…you and your family would be most welcome…

Of the members of the club that I belong to, Steve is the only other member that’s shown any interest in operations. Most of the rest of the club are “shake and bake” amusement park modelers. There are a couple that make some very nice models, but they seem content to make shelf queens. They have little interest in running them.

The problem with Steve is that about every 3 to 4 months he gets a new job and moves :frowning: …only to return a couple months later. :smiley: Must be that Navy blood…can’t sit in one place very long. :confused:

Warren

Dennis Paulson said:
I looked at all the great photos of the IPP&W at the web site , wish I could operate there during the invasion sometime , now I see why Ric makes the trip every year . The IPP&W looks so large , it reminded me of the operations in this area of a HO layout that was so large that my son and I worked the South end of one yard that also had a crew on the North end of the same yard , .........it has been featured in a couple of magazines , and it really is a operation . All this operations posting , I went out to my layout and at the Inglenook type yard and did some operating , and performed the local operation as per the ICC requirements . run em if ya got em
Dennis, now that you are amongst the "Was Employed", you should have time for such indulgences of traveling north to get out of the heat in the summer time. However, last couple of years our Canadian friends have been having record heat every time we go up there. Its a great kick with lots of trains, friends and food.

Thanks for the invite Fred .
Yes Ric , now I have the time …but the money is really way different .

Dennis Paulson said:
Thanks for the invite Fred . Yes Ric , now I have the time .............but the money is really way different .
Dennis,

Now that you’re retired, you need some consultancy work. :wink: :open_mouth: :slight_smile:

Which couplers are you using?

Mostly Ozark link & pin

How do you uncouple?

I reach my grimy finder in and pull the fixing cord the pin is tied too, the more pertenent Q should how to you couple? which is a bit tougher.

Is your layout at ground level or elevated?

Indoor will be 42" high, outdoor 18" high

What scale are your trains?

Oh…roundabout’s 1/22.5, for the most part.

What minimum radius do you use?

R1