Large Scale Central

Finding new people with an interest in LS

Alan;

As most of us, who have been in this part of the Model Railroading hobby for more than 5-10 years; admitting to our “Mistakes” is often overlooked, or ignored by many of the new people coming into the hobby. I continue to make new mistakes, every year, and will continue to do so, in spite of myself…!! The trick is, to be open about them, and hope others, even just one, will avoid the ones we have made.

It never ceases to amaze me, every year, to see “Loners”, or paranoid/secretive people, come out of the woodwork, having lost interest, grown old (Often only in their own minds), wanting to sell off their collections. For them, the hobby has died.

Often these people give up, and decline more rapidly, than those who hang on until the end. Too often they worry themselves to death, worrying what will happen to their empires if and when they “Kick the bucket”. So, the stuff goes into a dumpster…so what…the most important thing is, SHARING, and HAVING FUN with it while you are still alive. So the family you raised have no interest in your stuff…that’s their loss…you paid good hours of work, and went without to educate them, and try to prepare them for a good life…you paid your dues… Just leave the stuff, in your will to those you know will possibly enjoy it…give it away…unless of course you haven’t got enough money for your last rent payment, or last meal.

Fred Mills

A doctor friend of mine, suggested that having a good, hobby, that grows with you over the years, is “An affordable, intelligent, life-long, INVESTMENT, in enjoying a healthy mind and body, over your lifetime”. He followed up with a short note, that a “Good Hobby” should include moderate physical, mental, and social activities, exercising your whole self.

I may be challenged by suggesting, that our diverse hobby of Large Scale, indoor/outdoor Model Railroading, can fit that description, rather well.

Why don’t we all stop debating, or defending our own little chosen part of this hobby, and start promoting its diversity, and great, available range of interests …

Fred Mills

What are you doing up so early?

Mistakes:  everything I ever learned I learned by making mistakes....

Morning Fred, John and All.

Oh Fred “5 to 10 Years”? We are going back 20 plus in our friendship. This hobby keeps many people together with a common denominator. Wishing you a great weekend as you close down ops for another year. All the best. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Fred Mills. said:

A doctor friend of mine, suggested that having a good, hobby, that grows with you over the years, is “An affordable, intelligent, life-long, INVESTMENT, in enjoying a healthy mind and body, over your lifetime”. He followed up with a short note, that a “Good Hobby” should include moderate physical, mental, and social activities, exercising your whole self.

I may be challenged by suggesting, that our diverse hobby of Large Scale, indoor/outdoor Model Railroading, can fit that description, rather well.

Why don’t we all stop debating, or defending our own little chosen part of this hobby, and start promoting its diversity, and great, available range of interests …

Fred Mills

• Last »

AMEN FRED!

By the way, when I explain to new friends/acquaintances I have trains, I can always see the “oh he plays with toys” in their eyes at first.

Then I mention that the hobby has many facets:

• being outdoors in the fresh air
  • a modicum of exercise
  • gardening, small plants
  • making scale models
  • electronics, computers
  • relaxing running on their own, like a stream or fountain
  • social, get a few friends to run a couple of trains
  • social, get more people to run operations (explain schedules, timetables, switching puzzles)
  • kids and grandkids love it, gets them off the computer games

Often, watching their eyes, they will light up on one of those facets. Then I focus on explaining that one in more detail, and many people change their mind from “playing with trains” to a fun pastime and hobby.

It just needs explanation and a little demonstration. Yes it can be expensive, but it can also be not so expensive… focus on the fun, and people will find a way to get what they need.

Pontificating on one area, or showing off how much money you spent is the wrong way to present the hobby, but I’ve seen this attitude in shows so often it makes me sad.

Greg

p.s. watch the wife’s expression… getting their couch potato out in the garden doing something connects!

Bingo.