Large Scale Central

East Broad Top Pgh. Build Challenge 2016

Very Nice work…

Thanks Guys, I’m going to try and pull this off by the dead line but I still have some work ahead. Finally starting in on the roof. Lots of little glue dots. I’m just worried that one I get it all glued to together and pull it off for paint, it won’t fit back on. All those little trusses sit in their own pockets. You can also see the batten boards that I have glued down on the walls now. It was this plastic that we mount print plates to at work. It was just the right thickness and seamed to glue well to the PVC. I still need to do the ends. I’ll get those once I pull the roof framing off.

Tedium

Ok, the glue has probably set on the first two purlins, so back to work!

Well considering the current temps now is probably the best time to use the wifes clothes pins!

Looking great!

That’s going to be a nice structure, Randy. I like the use of clothes pins for clamps and the bolts for weights. The wood framing looks very good too.

Very good I approve.

I hear ya about your fit concerns. I built my roof upside down in a jig and was happily surprised when it fit to the roof frame. Looking good!

Your roof structure looks great! Well done.

I have had the roof on and off my section house… It could fit better, I’ll have to make a study of what is going on. I had it glued down-accidently-when I did the shingles. I managed to cut and pry it free. Still had a bit to do inside.

Randy, the wifey and I were scrolling through the channels and came across a “How Its Made” segment on wooden clothes pins, Her first loud comment was Who uses them any more, I now have photographic evidence of where the 5 million a week they make go, Thanks, I love to answer all her questions with a hobby reference. Cant wait to see the results.

Sorry RoosterDavid, Pete got it right. Those are my clothes pins, and they have never seen any clothes. They certainly make them cheaper now than they used to. The ones I always stole from my mom for making tents were bigger, made of nicer wood and had twice the clamping force.

Thanks for the nice compliments guys. I liked how the roof turned out so much that I figured I post another picture before I cover it with tin. The surprising bonus to it all is that it comes off and goes back on just fine. Phew. I got only one end left that needs batons and I can start paining and assembling everything.

Finished roof

Looking really good. It is sorta a shame to cover up the nice woodwork. At least when the top is off and laying around, all those in sight will ohhhh and ahhhh.

That is one great looking roof and building. It looks like the real deal. I think it is a good idea you made the roof removable. You can use the building to store items that only come out when you are running trains.

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

Sorry RoosterDavid, Pete got it right. Those are my clothes pins, and they have never seen any clothes. They certainly make them cheaper now than they used to. The ones I always stole from my mom for making tents were bigger, made of nicer wood and had twice the clamping force.

Thanks for the nice compliments guys. I liked how the roof turned out so much that I figured I post another picture before I cover it with tin. The surprising bonus to it all is that it comes off and goes back on just fine. Phew. I got only one end left that needs batons and I can start paining and assembling everything.

Finished roof

NICE!

I don’t understand why you would not like to hang you’re clothes out on the line during seasonable conditions. If the crew needed to air out some soiled or washed clothes they would have certainly done so inside your almost finished structure using SCALE clothes pins?

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

@Randy, That looks a bit longer then the supplied tin will cover. Are you going to need a bit more to get it finished?

Dave Taylor said:

Looking really good. It is sorta a shame to cover up the nice woodwork. At least when the top is off and laying around, all those in sight will ohhhh and ahhhh.

I agree with that 100%. I wouldn’t cover up those rafters if that were my work, no way.

Maybe you could somehow have it both ways…mount the tin roof to some thin cardstock and set it on top of all that beautiful woodwork, then take it off whenever you want to show off your work, the story being that the roof is under construction.

Aaahhh yes I agree guys! He should make the tin removable for showing interior detail.

You know, In this day and age you think Amazon would carry 1;20.3 wood screws but there isn’t one to be found on their site. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

So, I’m just going to have to put the tin down permanently. It will be fine since you can either peer through the freight dors and see it or just pull the roof off and lay it beside to see things.

Keen eye Dave, I will have one sheet of tin left over, and I will need to keep the overlap very minimal to make it. Glad the thing wasn’t 1 foot longer!

Well moving right along, Paint is on, the long dock attached and pilings are going in. Really starting to look like something besides a hodge podge of plastic and wood.

Piling attachment

Randy Lehrian Jr. said:

You know, In this day and age you think Amazon would carry 1;20.3 wood screws but there isn’t one to be found on their site. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

So, I’m just going to have to put the tin down permanently. It will be fine since you can either peer through the freight dors and see it or just pull the roof off and lay it beside to see things.

Nope you aren’t getting off that easy…forget about Amazon and get the screws at micro fasteners as they have the scale screws you are after…http://www.microfasteners.com/self-tapping-sheet-metal-and-wood-screws.html

David Russell, I doubt that they have 1:20.5 wood screws. They do have size 0 lag bolts, but that’s not the same thing.

Randy, if you need a piece of tin or two, I have a few left over.

David R, It’s ok, I’m just going to publicly admit that I am lazy and therefore will just (or have) silicone down the tin.

David M, Thanks, but It’s game over for me, and I came out ok.

Well I am done! Just before the bell rang I finished things up for my first ever Mik’s Build Challenge. What a ride. Now I have some idea just what goes into making a semi detailed building. (it’s no Dunakin) I’m really happy with it over all I still want to add a few little details, but it’s as done as it’s going to be for the challenge. The freight doors all slide open. They just need the little guide wheel at the bottom. I have some little black beads for that but not the proper flat head pin from those dress shirts you buy, so that will have to wait. I would also like to add hinges and door knobs to the man doors. After that just the usual freight every where and a desk and chair.

I am pleased to present my finished product:

Finished Freight House

Finished Freight House

Finished Freight House

Finished Freight House

Finished Freight House

Finished Freight House

Finished Freight House

Finished Freight House