Large Scale Central

Converting 10 wheeler to battery

…and don’t forget a bunch of “0” scale telegraph poles.(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Tony,

So you are saying that the set I have in my garage would date to about 1991? Apparently that’s what happens as old age sets in (73) :). I could have sworn it was the early eighties. Oh well, the set was still a piece of c**p even with the “O” gauge telephone poles :slight_smile: .

Gary,

I do believe you when you say it is a piece of excrement. I get mine I think today. Like I said for $30 bucks its worth the amusement. I am sure I can use the cars as just run of the mill rolling stock to make up trains. I am actually quite fond of the tender shells, I made my 2-6-0 tender from a 10 wheeler shell cut down in length and narrowed.

So the that will get used. Then I will use the track (how many feet of straight sections are there if any) if there is enough straight section for a shelf to display my CR&N stuff when not outside. Then I will use the loco for what ever tickles my fancy if anything. If I get to play with it for awhile before hand as is then its a bonus. I will even use the O scale telegraph poles maybe on the indoor.

If all else fails, you can always weather the thing out rusty, and use it as the wreck on Ol’ Number 99 at the bottom of your trestle.

Or stuff and mount it in a park for your scale kids to climb on.

A belated touche to Gary!

Greg

Gary Armitstead said:

Tony,

So you are saying that the set I have in my garage would date to about 1991? Apparently that’s what happens as old age sets in (73) :). I could have sworn it was the early eighties. Oh well, the set was still a piece of c**p even with the “O” gauge telephone poles :slight_smile: .

I recall buying my two sets in the 1980s at Toys’R’Us. I think it was before 1988, but I’d have to look through my really old photos (the paper ones, you know,) which are in MD.

This one was bought in 1988 at Nicholas Smith Trains.

Came as a Prairie Flyer set. tank car, boxcar and caboose.

It was Battery and R/C’d when this picture was taken at Fred’s in the 90’s. .

Greg Elmassian said:

A belated touche to Gary!

Greg

Huh? :slight_smile:

These purchase dates are really starting to “bug me” now. I’m working on 1/8th scale locomotives today and I keep looking up into the garage rafters at that damn Bachmann Big Hauler box and I keep wondering…Is it or ISN’T it 1982 or 1983…

I’ll drag the ladder out and pull that box down and see if I can find a receipt in the box or some other significant date to verify in my mind when I bought this!

EDIT: With my 1/8th scale “stuff”. NOW I have to get back to my “serious” work and get to the BIG models! :slight_smile:

Well, I got the set down and it looks pretty clean for 25 or 30 years old or there abouts…EVERYTHING’S there including the “O” telephone poles! Apparemtly when I put it away those many years ago, I put it back in the box 180 degrees from original. :slight_smile:

I have a complete set of GR magazines.

I just went through them until I found the issue they were first advertised.

I first heard about them in Model Railroader. In 1987 I read an article in Model Railroader Magazine about a garden railroad that Russ Larson had built in his backyard with Bachmann Big Hauler trains. That’s what got me started.

If you believe Wikipedia…

In 1988 Bachmann started to produce large scale (also known as G Scale or garden scale) train sets called the Big Haulers. They were first introduced in sets consisting of a locomotive, one or two freight cars and a caboose, Set 90100 was the first set. The locomotives were battery powered and were radio controlled.[12] In 1989 They began making train sets using track powered electric locomotives.[13] In 1989 Bachmann also began selling locomotives, freight Cars, and passenger cars as separate items. Since the early years Bachamnn introduced a high quality line of prototype 1:20.3 locomotives and rolling stock in their Spectrum Line.

90-0100…I guess Wikipedia is correct for once.

The real reason I bought that Bachmann Big Hauler set. :slight_smile:

This picture looks to me like a Cumberland Valley RR 1/8th scale combination car is in the process !

David Russell said:

This picture looks to me like a Cumberland Valley RR 1/8th scale combination car is in the process !

Sorry no…it’s the freshly restored and repainted caboose. The towel is on the roof to prevent the wood shop dust accumulation. That caboose just turned 35 years old…needed some TLC. My son should have it finished in a month or so.

My new purchase is the 90-0100 as well.

Believe it or not I wouldn’t mind having about 6-8 more sections of the straight track. Once I detail the track with brown paint on the ties rust brown on the rails end ballast the track I think it will work great for a shelf display I want.

Devon, you need help.

Are you taking your meds?

I am perfectly fine. No meds, tons of vitamins. Seriously I do think the track will work very well to display my CR&N stuff on a long shelf near the ceiling

Devon Sinsley said:
Believe it or not I wouldn’t mind having about 6-8 more sections of the straight track. Once I detail the track with brown paint on the ties rust brown on the rails end ballast the track I think it will work great for a shelf display I want.

I have some of the track on my shelves over the workbench - use it for parking items while working on them. I think they sold extra track in packs, and there was a plastic switch at one time. Some of my track is New Bright, I think, which works equally well for storage.