Large Scale Central

Consecutive Rail Bending

Why, who could ever forget the golden spike moment from August 7 of last year (2016)? I’ll tell ya who could. Pete Lassen could…

And then there was that unforgetable photo of the track cleaning diesel on the big black bridge the following week. Unforgetable by everyone. Everyone, I tell ya. Everyone except Pete Lassen.

And of course, the timeless beauty of a steamer, rounding maple curve on the Iron Island Railroad. A scene marveled at by all in the large scale community. Sure it’s an obvious photoshopped forgery. But, it’s not obvious to everyone. I mean there is probably someone who missed all of this progress last year. But I’m not going to mention any names, Pete Lassen.

Yep. It’s all documented right here…

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/22149/iron-island-rr-take-two?page=1

Actually, Pete- its been raining here in Buffalo a lot this season. I wanted to get some more scenery done earlier in the season on the layout, but it was always wet back there. I was finally able to move 10 more yards of dirt to the layout yesterday. Keeps me in shape for bikini season (that reminds me, I need to shave my back). I’ve got the dirt piled up into two mountains. One with a tunnel and one for a waterfall. I’ll post some updates soon. In the meantime, the forcast calls for (you guessed it) more rain. Starting tomorrow. See, Buffalo is more than just chicken wings and snow. We have rain, too.

I actually had to start a “rainy day” project just to keep from going nuts. It’s here…

http://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/26969/bachmann-1-29-standard-gauge-bobber-caboose

-Kevin.

The double (4 screw clamp) is stronger and only needed for stainless bending. Brass track bends much easier and a 2 screw clamp is all that is needed.

dieseldude . said:

Been having fun on a bender… I mean with the bender. The rail bender, that is.

1. I found it necessary to remove all the screws from the 9’ diameter curves in order to re-bend them into 20’ diameter curves. Leaving one screw per rail caused some binding of the ties (Hey, isn’t that a Springsteen tune? No wait… that’s “The Ties That Bind”). Perhaps it is possible to leave a screw in each rail if you initially start with a larger diameter.

2. When bending curves, the type of clamp used to hold two sections together doesn’t seem to matter (for me, anyway). I use what I have on hand. So far I’ve had success with: Hillman, Split Jaw, and generic eBay clamps. I only own the two screw versions of these clamps (no 4 screw). I have had complete success with all of them. As noted earlier, I am using an Aristocraft Dual Rail Bender and I am bending/re-bending rail into some larger diameters. So, your mileage may vary.

Kevin Dude, , did you have to cut the webs between ties like others suggested? I have an 8’diameter I want to make into at least a 10’ curve and was wondering if you cut some of the webs out. Maybe THAT was # 5 since it got left out. And yes I missed all of those important events and fell badly about it, So I beat myself about the head and shoulders until I saw( seen, Sean, realized) my errors. I know first open the home page to see if the Dude has posted anything and go straight to it to avoid my past mistake

Pete Lassen said:

Kevin Dude, , did you have to cut the webs between ties like others suggested? I have an 8’diameter I want to make into at least a 10’ curve and was wondering if you cut some of the webs out. Maybe THAT was # 5 since it got left out.

Hey Pete- I didn’t have to cut any of the webs as others have. The track that I re-bent was all 9 foot diameter Aristocraft. It was all bent to 20 foot diameter. I’m not sure if other brands of track have the same types of webs, so your mileage may vary. You could always try a piece or two and see what happens.

Pete Lassen said:

And yes I missed all of those important events and fell badly about it, So I beat myself about the head and shoulders until I saw( seen, Sean, realized) my errors. I know first open the home page to see if the Dude has posted anything and go straight to it to avoid my past mistake

Remember: to err is human. To really fowl things up requires a computer.

-Kevin.

dieseldude . said:

-Kevin.

Foul

Those folks who claim they can bend spoons with telekinesis or whatever it is - any of them got the balls to take on code 332 brass rail?

332 brass is tough, but for a real challenge, they should try 332 stainless.

" Rooster " said:

dieseldude . said:

-Kevin.

Foul

Nah, Rooster, I think he got it right, the first time. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)