Large Scale Central

Cleaning rail clamps

A report back on vinegar use to clean split-jaw rail clamps. Some have been in vinegar for a couple of days now. They are definitely cleaner, but the brass is taking on a copper hue and the vinegar has changed to a blue color. Odd I think. No doubt they will still work correctly. I found my muratic acid, so I think I’ll try the next batch in the acid and see how they compare. Will post results.

Rich,

The muriatic acid will also bring out the copper color to some extent. This has no effect on their conductivity. I found that using one of those small metal brushes to lightly buff the clamps brings back most of the brass color.

Doc Watson

Thanks Don. It must be the copper in the brass that surfaces after chemical cleaning. The vinegar worked well. Some of the clamps still need a little brushing, but overall a great deal of work has been avoided.

Actually leaching away the zinc on the surface, leaving mostly copper on the surface.

Greg

That probably accounts for the coloration of the vinegar. They do polish up brassy again. Made for an easy task.