Large Scale Central

Chicago & St Paul

Well since this morning everything got turned on its ear. My car produced a check engine light. Took it to Chevy and it is a Cam Shaft position sensor issue. Maybe a small thing maybe a big thing but the guy said if it goes out the car will just shut off or reduce power to keep from ruining itself. While I am glad to find this out before leaving it put a dent in my plans. Being Idaho rednecks every other vehicles is a gas guzzling 4X4. So we totally changed plans, we are leaving at 1:30 am and traveling Amtrak straight to St Paul. No Chicago have to skip seeing my girl the ex-CR&N loco (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif). wont visit crazy horse or rushmore either.

But (this is for Craig) it does mean three extra days in the archives at St Paul. probably will be better in the long run.

That sucks about your road trip, but I think you’ll find plenty to do in the archives instead! Hey if you have any extra time, can I convince you to look up some possible drawings for my Snow Dozer? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Now that you have a bit more time (if Amcrash gets you there on time!) you might have time to look for drawings for your locomotive. Wouldn’t that be almost as good as seeing her in person?

Craig Townsend said:

That sucks about your road trip, but I think you’ll find plenty to do in the archives instead! Hey if you have any extra time, can I convince you to look up some possible drawings for my Snow Dozer? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Now that you have a bit more time (if Amcrash gets you there on time!) you might have time to look for drawings for your locomotive. Wouldn’t that be almost as good as seeing her in person?

Craig,

If you do the leg work and track down the locations I will see what I can do about the snow dozer. As for drawings of my loco that maybe to much to ask for. It was not original NP or CR&N equipment. The only one that was an original NP loco was the #4 and I have the erection drawing for it as well as the build sheet. None of the loco rosters for NP ever show the narrow gauge locos even though they were lettered NP at the end. But you never know and I will look at what ever I can think of.

In the end it will be more relaxing than driving a car, and I am sure I will put to good use the time in the archives. Even if I get through all the CR&N and Spokane Falls and Idaho RR stuff I can find; there is the Sunset & Wallace that needs explored as well as the Kootenai RR both NP subsidiaries in my neck of the woods. So I am sure I wont be sitting there wishing I had something to do.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Sure if you want too (and have time). I have the box numbers and the file numbers!

Devon Sinsley said:

Well since this morning everything got turned on its ear. My car produced a check engine light. Took it to Chevy and it is a Cam Shaft position sensor issue. Maybe a small thing maybe a big thing but the guy said if it goes out the car will just shut off or reduce power to keep from ruining itself. While I am glad to find this out before leaving it put a dent in my plans. Being Idaho rednecks every other vehicles is a gas guzzling 4X4. So we totally changed plans, we are leaving at 1:30 am and traveling Amtrak straight to St Paul. No Chicago have to skip seeing my girl the ex-CR&N loco (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif). wont visit crazy horse or rushmore either.

But (this is for Craig) it does mean three extra days in the archives at St Paul. probably will be better in the long run.

Devon, I drove my Jeep to York, from Pittsburgh, with a flaky camshaft sensor. In my case, the Jeep would run fine until I shut it off. Then it would play maybe I will start, maybe I won’t. When I got back to Pittsburgh it started shutting off while I was driving it. I am so glad it didn’t play that on the highway. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)So you are safest not driving the thing until its fixed.

Hopefully you will find what you are looking for, before your eyes glaze over.

Craig Townsend said:

Sure if you want too (and have time). I have the box numbers and the file numbers!

Send the info in a pm or email and I will see what I can do

Ya David I don’t want to get out in the middle of nowhere and have it puke on me. There is a lot of nothing between Idaho and Minnesota. Not to mention the expense in trying to deal with it. Not worth it.

Why not fly out to St. Paul? Wouldn’t that be cheaper than taking the train? I’ll send you a PM & email! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Whitefish Mt.

What is the Sanfalippo Museum in Barrington and is this in Barrington Ill? I lived there for many years never heard or saw it. Later RJD

Devon,

While in St. Paul, I hope you can find time to visit Bandana Square:

http://www.tcmrm.org/

Very nice (2 rail) O-Scale layout.

Joe Satnik

R.J. DeBerg said:

What is the Sanfalippo Museum in Barrington and is this in Barrington Ill? I lived there for many years never heard or saw it. Later RJD

The Sanfalippo Museum is a privately held collection of all sorts of cool stuff. It is not open to the general public. I schedules organized tours and what not. Mainly to raise funds for the the Sanfalippo foundation which funds research and treatment for a rare disease called Sanfalippo Syndrome. Don’t know much else about that aspect. One of the items they have is an 1881 Grant mogul. They can be found online. Yes it is in Barrington Il or Barrington Hills

Well day one is in the bag. Made it to St Paul immediately headed to the archives with luggage in tow. Already mined some gold with tons more to look at.

Devon Sinsley said:

Well day one is in the bag. Made it to St Paul immediately headed to the archives with luggage in tow. Already mined some gold with tons more to look at.

What did I tell you? (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)I sent you an email with the list of boxes. It’s only 4 different boxes, and I’m not sure how many drawings are actually in the box.

For those following along at home, when I went to the archives of a week a few years back, I ended up with about 1000 pictures of different documents during a week’s worth of time. That was simply opening a box, finding what I was looking for, snapping a picture or two, and moving on. Devon has help, so I’m expecting him to beat my number! With 10,000’+ linear feet of archival records it’s a lot of information to go through.

I have been here two days now and we have over 400 pictures of documents. Thanks Craig for that advice. We would never get through it if we had to read everything. It will take a long time to sortbit out. But the information is second to none. I am also glad plans got changed. We will need all six days.

Craig I got your email and if I get time I will sew what I van do. I am sure I can squeeze it in.

The single best find so far is the track profile book. It shows the exact location of the line all spurs culverts bridges ect what and how they were constructed ect. This is great info especially to the modeler. They used howe truss and pony truss bridges. Guess what I am going to make?

Devon Sinsley said:
I have been here two days now and we have over 400 pictures of documents. Thanks Craig for that advice. We would never get through it if we had to read everything. It will take a long time to sortbit out. But the information is second to none. I am also glad plans got changed. We will need all six days. Craig I got your email and if I get time I will sew what I van do. I am sure I can squeeze it in.

Quite amazing what you can find in the archives. I’m sure you’ve already found more stuff that you weren’t even planning. I’m not sure what you’ve looked at so far, but I’m sure the Presidential letter press books will have some useful information as well. Did you get a chance to meet Jim Dick?

I hope your keeping good records of where you’re finding all of this information, so you can cite it, and reference back to it in the future.

Don’t worry about me too much, do your stuff first!

Devon Sinsley said:
The single best find so far is the track profile book. It shows the exact location of the line all spurs culverts bridges ect what and how they were constructed ect. This is great info especially to the modeler. They used howe truss and pony truss bridges. Guess what I am going to make?

Not to go to far down the rabbit trail, but I bet you could find the standard plans for construction for the Howe & Pony Truss bridges as well…

Ya those plans would help us in building the bridges. Can’t wait to hear and see all that information on our little railroad (haha). And to think we only live about 50 miles from where this railroad operated.

Craig Townsend said:

Quite amazing what you can find in the archives. I’m sure you’ve already found more stuff that you weren’t even planning. I’m not sure what you’ve looked at so far, but I’m sure the Presidential letter press books will have some useful information as well. Did you get a chance to meet Jim Dick?

I hope your keeping good records of where you’re finding all of this information, so you can cite it, and reference back to it in the future.

Don’t worry about me too much, do your stuff first!

Yes we have found more than expected. Articles of incorporation, that profile book, the actual presidents letter of resignation. cool stuff.

No Dick didn’t show. We kept asking.

Everything is being cataloged by box and folder.