Large Scale Central

Charging batteries.

Jeeze Steve, I know you are a guy, but you CAN read the manual without cellular damage. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

I would imagine that Michael is called upon very often to give the “quick answer” from many people, I surely am on computers, trains, electronics, etc.

Learning is a great thing, and by going through the manual, you might find other information on your device. Often I read a manual twice and learn things the second time I missed the first time.

Greg

I charge mine at 1 1/2 Amps, just 'cause that’s what my cheap Tenergy Lithium chargers do.

Gentlemen,

Over the past thirty plus years our engineers have always used a set charge rate of 1 amp for every smart charger we manufacture, whether that was for 3M, W&W, Empire, Battery-Tech or Cordless Renovations. We have found the less complicated it is for the end user to set the charge rate, the easier it will be for them to charge their battery, whether that is in our 6, 3 or single station smart chargers and/or analyzer that we built for over 5000 fire departments nationwide.

Because it is a lithium and 50% of all end users are not accustom to charging a lithium battery. I have made the decision to keep it as simple as possible for our customers to charge their CR battery-packs. That is why the end user will never be able set their charge rate with any of my PCB Lithium Battery-Packs. In the future we will manufacture a smart charger with a cell balancing feature for our upcoming line of Lithium-Polymer packs.

But, it has been my experience that just because someone tells you there’s a standard charge rating for ??? cells, list all kinds of facts and figures; that really doesn’t hold water until they can perform those tests that we have on over 15 different manufacturers cells, and then back that up with a 2 Million dollar product liability policy. Once you can do that and then understand how the Chinese work, then I may listen?

It has always been my companies policy to take the danger out of having fun. Charging your lithium battery at 1 amp has always been safe. Charging a lithium battery at 1amp or less will extend the lifetime of your pack. It’s like over heating food in the microwave, you over-cook-it, it makes your food crispy!

Be safe, charge at 1 amp!

I’ll bet you I can take one of your packs and 1 amp and make it catch on fire. It’s not safe just because you went to 1 amp.

And if you have 15 manufacturers of batteries, you will have 15 data sheets. If they all make a 2.6 amp hour battery, I’ll bet you their charge rates are pretty much exactly the same.

Understand I am not trying to give you a hard time, but 1 amp does not make it safe. It might make it take longer to damage a cell, but it’s not safe, i.e. nothing can go wrong.

I do understand you standardizing on one charge rate. If your customers are all fine with the slower charging rate, that’s great for you. Personally if I buy a Ferrari, I do want to go 200mph.

I must have close to 50 devices at home that have li-ion and li-poly batteries, and no fires. They definitely charge between 0.5 and 1.0 C… the technology is available.

Greg

Rick,

I clearly noted that the info I provided was garnered directly from the industry’s leading OEM’s of 18650 Lithium Ion cells. This data is available online to anyone interested.

If you find the OEM cell manufacturer’s data and or published recommendations to be whimsical folly as you suggest you may well need your liability insurance. In my case I’m very comfortable following the manufacturers recommendations as I’m confident the OEM’s have derived said data based on extensive testing, evaluation and empirical testing.

FWIW: And I believe you aware of same based on previous interactions, I personally have been involved in extensive battery evaluation and real world use and abuse since the mid 90’s. I’ve literally tested, cycled and intentionally abused well over one thousand Lithium Ion batteries from their introduction to the RC world around 12-13 years ago. To that end my assertions hold plenty of water and are backed by the OEM’s publish data and liability insurance to boot.

We also performed in-depth beta charger evaluation when truly SMART chargers were introduced to the industry 2004ish. Automatic chargers that simply terminate charge are not SMART chargers… They simply work within specific charge algorithms and shut down accordingly, they have little to no integral safety features or intrinsic intelligence.

It’s irresponsible IMO to suggest that a 1A charge rate is the magic number. There are simply too many variables in play whether it be battery chemistry, battery configuration and or battery capacity.

Do you have any data to suggest that your 1A cure-all extends the life of Lithium batteries? Far as I know and I have researched same for many years no other such claims, assertions or OEM’s have acknowledged or published same in any format. Obviously if the battery under charge falls into the OEM’s recommendation at a 1A charge rate that data is of little use for this discussion.

Unfortunately even you bare bones 1A smart charger requires user interaction to flip the appropriate dip switches to choose the proper charge algorithm of the battery chemistry under charge. Since we all know stuff happens almost anything can and will be realized. Furthermore 1A could easily cook many a lower capacity battery too.

Respectfully,

Michael