Large Scale Central

butt modeling

This past weekend I worked on my project, right up until I smashed my foot. Then I just sort of picked at the project a little each day until, today, I finished it.

Now, hopefully, I won’t have to even think about weed whacking along the great white wall.

After picking up the tools and debris, I trimmed them darn pine whatever things between the houses. Only on my side of course. Tomorrow, God, the weather and my foot willing, I need to trim the trees on my railroad. They are starting to get out of hand.

I know that as a butt modeler I am not getting as much done as some other people. Butt I do so enjoy just sitting on my butt and not doing anything. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Nice work David, Looks good and much more open now with all the extra space.

By the way for being a butt modeler, you’re getting a ton more than I done on your railway.

Thanks Randy

The rock really cleans it up. I want to do something similar along the edge of my layout.

David are you planning to spray this area with weed killer each season?

Sean, there is weed cloth lining the trench, so I hope I don’t have to spray anything. Actually, I won’t spray anything, I use no chemicals in my yard for fear of harming my dog or my fish.

Tonight, like I said I would, I trimmed my weeds. My biggest weed is now about 2 foot shorter then it was.

Somewhere, under that debris, is the right of way of The Pittsburgh and Castle Shannon Railroad.

Truth be told, I did get most of it cleaned up before dark. Now I just have the trim back the track-side weeds and I can play trains again.

Shawn Viggiano said:

The rock really cleans it up.

Rooster, Sean is right. And, that was the look I was going for. I saw it done on the TV show Gardening by the Yard, and I liked it.

Friday I cleaned up all of the clippings from my scale trees and the pine things that border my property between my house and the neighbor’s house. Yesterday I mowed the lawn, what a bear, and then set out to clear 2 weeks worth of weed growth from the railroad.

And then I was able to get back to the serious work of playing trains.

The tender on the Mogul started derailing regularly on one curve. Upon closer inspection, I found the that outside rail, where it derails, is no longer a smooth curve. Its bent and the track gauge has narrowed there. So I ran my C16 passenger train until dark.

" Rooster " said:

Shawn Viggiano said:

The rock really cleans it up.

What have you done with David Russell?

Joe Zullo said:

Who dat?..(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Ken Brunt said:

Joe Zullo said:

Who dat?..(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I’m not sure but I think he has replaced David Russell yet AGAIN. The blank posts are a dead give away, don’t you think?

I thought they were whispers…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Today I decided to get my last ECLSTS purchase ready for the rails. I had purchased a used Aristo EBT reefer at the last ECLSTS, and when I got it home, I discovered that 2 hinge parts were missing.

Fortunately it was the same part on both sides. I toyed with the idea of casting replacement parts. I toyed with the idea of trying to have them 3D printed. Then I noticed one night, that the USA reefer parts looked very similar. The next night I was surfing on AnaKramer’s Ebay store and saw that he had the whole set of USA reefer detail parts for sale. Well, I ordered a set.

That would give me the hinge parts, spare corner steps, grab irons, brake details and such. The parts arrived the other day, and so today I went to work on the EBT reefer. I carefully pried off the remaining hinge part, and drilled out the mounting holes with a 1/16th inch drill bit.

Then I put the USA part with the Aristo part I still had, they fit together just fine, and inserted the assembly into the holes.

While the USA part inst identical to the Aristo parts, they are close enough that at 10 feet away, I don’t think too many people would even notice. I also pried off the few original hinges that weren’t pressed all of the way in, and remounted them. Then I took the roof off of the car, and put dabs of glue on the backside of all the hinge mounting pins. Hopefully that will keep them from going AWOL on me.

That could have been it right there, but oh no! I cant do that! I took the trucks off of the car, they were Bachmann trucks, and replaced them with Bachmann Vulcan trucks. And since the car is kind of heavy, I put ball bearing inserts into the Vulcan trucks. And then, yes there is more, and then I took my Sharpie and coloured all of the brass grab-irons and brake-wheel shaft.

Brass grab irons just don’t look right to me.

So now the car has a complete set of hinges, on both doors, and I think it looks a lot better with black grab irons. The next time I run my EBT cars, this reefer will be in the consist, earning its keep.

Since, in another thread, Devon has crowned me “King of the Butt Modelers”, I think a nap is in order. Naw, maybe after dinner.

Today, after work, I actually did Butt Model. I ran some EBT cars behind my Heartland 4-4-0, including the Aristo reefer I just repaired.

While the train was running I sat on my butt. I did take some cuttings from the one Dwarf Alberta Spruce and I am trying to root them, but that only took a few minutes. Other then that, I was butt sitting. Butt it was nice to watch that car, and that train, trundle around the backyard for nearly 2 hours.

Sweet. I like the reefer glad the USA parts worked out

So am I Devon, It saved me time trying to cast, or 3D draw the part. That leaves me more time for me to just sit on my butt,

(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

After living up to my title of King Butt Modeler at the end of last week, I am back to modeling again. As I tried to explain in the thread where I was crowned, many times what we modelers do, isn’t noteworthy enough to post, and this post falls into that category. But here it is anyway.

I had received my parts from Mouser, and so I thought I would change out the lenses on a set of LGB markers for the LED lenses that I had ordered.

LGB original lenses on the left marker, the LED lenses on the right marker.

I was a little disappointed that the lenses I ordered were so small, but once I finished, I am starting to like the way it looks. Almost like a lens inside a metal housing (frame).

These markers will go onto a caboose rebuild that I have been working on, off and on, mostly off.

Next I took my 4 Heartland gondolas and sanded off the mold lines on them, then I washed them real good and set them out to dry.

Once they were dry, I gave them a good coat of primer.

Do you like my outdoor paint booth? (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Maybe tomorrow, if I am not sitting on my butt, they will get painted.