Large Scale Central

Bob were is Bob ???

There is a probable reason why you might find some of us G Scale “Centalistas” over here too as quite a few of us in the U of K have a liking for US of A themed Railroads. As there are more of you over here with first hand experience of the stuff so you are more likely to have the answers to our questions. And you are just as nice a bunch of people as over our side of the pond. And most of you get “Monty Python” stuff, which can’t be bad.

A lot of the track powered product in the shops over here has been of Bachmann, Aristocraft, HLW and USAT make in the past as well as the more Eurocentric LGB, Piko, Kiss and Berlyn, that include US prototypes in their range. Then there is our own home grown 16 mm scale, a lot running on 45 mm gauge now as well as 32 mm. Mainly a live steam scene where we relive the bucolic wonders of our own and past Empire based narrow gauge wonders.

It’s also quite fun to check in to this and the UK site first thing in the morning as there has always been a fair bit of activity “overnight” from over here (North America) and from our Antipodean friends, former British subjects. Come to think of it you are all our former subjects, aren’t you ? Time zones, a wonderful thing. Thanks Bob for this fine site.

G Scale Central is a UK-based forum similar to LSC, but with a more Europeanized flair. Very friendly people and they seem to tolerate those of us from this side of the pond even though we write kind of funny.

I may be the oddball here but I belong to several large scale and modeling forums, including several on Facebook. Some I only check into occasionally, others on a fairly regular basis, and still others I visit several times a day. Because of my strong interest in fine scale modeling, many of these forums are useful and interesting to me but not necessarily large scale train focused. Just for kicks, I made a list (in no particular order):

• Large Scale Central
  • MyLargeScale
  • G Scale Central
  • Model Railroad Hobbyist
  • Fine Scale Modeler
  • Westlake Modelers Forum
  • AnyRail
  • Early Rail Modeling Group
  • Weathered Models
  • The Grumpy Old Scale Modelers Group
  • G Scale Swap and Shop
  • G Scale Garden Railways
  • G Scale Model Trains
  • Modeling with the Cricut Explore
  • Modeling pre 1895 Steam Locomotives

Note that Weathered Models has 26,457 members, Grumpy has 24,310, and most of the other FB groups also measure their numbers in the thousands, but I always find my way back to LSC.

Wow, this didn’t take long to get ‘off-topic’.

in the U of K have a liking for US of A

Max, where is the United of Kingdom ?

David Maynard said:

What? Bob’s about?

Max Winter said:

And most of you get “Monty Python” stuff, which can’t be bad.

My wife does not get Monty Python stuff at all. I sit there and laugh uncontrollably with tears in my eyes and she looks at me like I am. . .well . . . stupid.

Pete Thornton said:

Don’t know about that but the U of K is in Lexington …

Devon Sinsley said:

Max Winter said:

My wife does not get Monty Python stuff at all. I sit there and laugh uncontrollably with tears in my eyes and she looks at me like I am. . .well . . . stupid.

And you doubt her? (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-innocent.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

Max Winter said:

That is most of us Devon! :slight_smile:

I will also throw in Benny Hill, Fawlty Towers and Red Dwarf. And so our neighbors to the North don’t feel left out: The Red Green Show and Second City Television.

Aww If only the US had something like those programs… you know something with variety sketches and a musical guest and a different host every week…it could air late on Saturday’s when nothing else is on…ohh and be broadcast live…

Pete Thornton said:

The U of K ? It’s an affectation that came into use sometime in the '60’s/'70’s that alluded to the influence that US culture (US of A, geddit ?)had on the UK. It’s an example of our, already mentioned in another post, “dry” sense of humour (as in our correct spelling of colour). (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

Aww If only the US had something like those programs… you know something with variety sketches and a musical guest and a different host every week…it could air late on Saturday’s when nothing else is on…ohh and be broadcast live…

It would never last …

I did like the Red Green Show, as wells as the others mentioned. I find that I use several phases from Red Green, like “If the women don’t find you handsome, they should at lest find you handy”, and “Spring hopes eternal.”

I’ve heard so many people mention or quote the Red Green Show, I had to find out what all the fuss was about. So a few months ago I finally looked for some clips on YouTube. Loved what I saw, so I bought the complete series on DVD. Loved it even more!

Loved watching the Red Green show. It used to come on late Saturday nights around here just as Benny Hill had before that.

Steve

Devon Sinsley said:

Max Winter said:

I saw the Pythons at the Hollywood Bowl, still have the T shirt!

My wife always thought the Monty Python boys were a bunch of overgrown schoolboys who never grew up… They are NOT everyone’s cup of tea (as we say…)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Well…yea. Growing up is over rated.

Gregory Hile said:

• Large Scale Central
  • MyLargeScale
  • G Scale Central
  • Model Railroad Hobbyist
  • Fine Scale Modeler
  • Westlake Modelers Forum
  • AnyRail
  • Early Rail Modeling Group
  • Weathered Models
  • The Grumpy Old Scale Modelers Group
  • G Scale Swap and Shop
  • G Scale Garden Railways
  • G Scale Model Trains
  • Modeling with the Cricut Explore
  • Modeling pre 1895 Steam Locomotives

uff!

if you visit all these for an average half hour a day, you are working a full shift, just to stay informed…

BoB is a frequently used abbreviation for the Battle of Britain for those interested in WWII aviation history.

Gary Buchanan, FOG, DRS, DSS, DCS said:

BoB is a frequently used abbreviation for the Battle of Britain for those interested in WWII aviation history.

Thanks, Gary…now that’s the way to get this discussion back on topic!!!

(I’m always willing to learn something new!)

It can also mean, in railroading terms, a class of Southern Railway (UK) locomotives.

http://www.bulleidsociety.org/OVS_Bulleid/OVSB_Light_Pacifics.html

http://www.southern-locomotives.co.uk/Class_Details/Bulleid_Light_Pacifics.html