Large Scale Central

Bluestone Southern 17-18 Oct 2015 Operations

Day 2 was better, less wind, warmer day…

26 folks and 20 trains run…

Pics?? what are those???

David Russell said:

Didn’t happen without pics!

David Russell said:

David Russell said:

What Rooster crowed!

Steve Featherkile said:

David Russell said:

David Russell said:

What Rooster crowed!

He didn’t crow, he pecked… (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

For some great pictures, go to:

Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Bluestone Southern Photos 01 thru 18

Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Bluestone southern Photos 19 thru 30

Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - Bluestone Southern Photos 31 thru 35

Maybe next year if Andy provides golf carts to get around. That place looks huge!

Nice pics by Bob H. glad all had a good weekend. One day I’ll get there

Just fantastic Bob and thank you !

I see Ric upgraded his knee pads to the “Darth Vader” model!

Now we all know what really happened to my college fund!

Bringing this thread back up for Bob’s pics because they will get lost in the “General Discussion” area

Notes from the BS Construction Team. In the Oct 2015 Ops Session we added trackage to the Evansville Yard. In the pic below from the Sep Ops you see Denny Karner and Buddy Lawrence entering the southern end of the yard.

In Sep 2015 below Andy is bringing around the EVWR Engine set to the Northern end of the yard and there are two trains and 8 track lines including the main.

In this final pic, see Mark Godwin and ‘Teacher’ Mark Haun working the yard. Jim Agnew is terminating his Bluefield-Memphis run and will disconnect his SD-70s (UP Heritage with a MOPAC), and set up for an Evansville-Bluefield run. See observer, Austin checking things out from an ideal spot. Adding that this last pic is from the Oct Ops session, and shows the additional tracks on the left, west side. Andy is NOT done with adding everything, but this made for interesting work in the yard this time.

Thanks Mom!

You are welcome dear.

Awesome pics!!

Nice caboose !

Well, we certainly had a great weekend!

We arrived a bit early on Friday and got a chance to look around. It seems a lot greener than last year. There’s a lot of plants out there.

We were just in time to watch Jane finish some work - adding more track in between Memphis and Evansville. Ken looks on.

It’s a big area. Memphis at the far end, and Evansville at the near end…and over 100 feet between them.

Overlook has a bunch of new buildings…

“Y” bridge in the distant center…

The new factory in the industrial park…

And a surprise! This drove up while we were walking around…

Brand new, but Jan has already mastered backing it up!

And time to relax a bit and enjoy the company.

L-R: Ken, Jane, Jean, Andy, Dot, Jan, Ric.

Next up: Saturday!

Saturday is the “Official” start of operations. Jean and I first went birdwatching at Washington County Lake just a few miles from Andy & Jane. Not a lot of birds, but very pretty.

Then we went over to join the group.

Bob and Dan take a gander at Overlook.

Ken was busy running the set out trains. Here he puts some cars into Overlook.

I took my boxcab and ran my odometer car around the layout between various locations so Andy would have some measurements of his track length.

Ken and Bob discuss a little bit of everything down by Memphis.

Mark and Mark were running the yard between Evansville and Memphis.

Jean and I decided to run the Evansville Local. This is a great train to run, but takes the longest. There’s over 5 scale miles of track between Evansville and Addieville. Then you run around the train and take the trip back in reverse order. You DO get to see most of the layout!

Jean’s the engineer as our train leaves Evansville.

We’re passing the light house and headed up the grade.

Our train waits for Dan’s train to pass before we can cross the bridge. In the background: Ken, Ben, Dan, and Ric (I think).

After switching Addieville, we run around the train and head back the way we came.

Next up is a fairly easy run: Bluefield to Memphis, with just a bit of switching in Woodlawn.

Jean drives the train out of Bluefield.

Here’s Blu-Mem snaking across the “Y” bridge.

The train heads down the grade toward Woodlawn.

Then it was the coal train. A unit train that goes from Bluefield down to Memphis. There, the coal is unloaded and we return. On this trip, we’re hauling 24 hoppers.

Once we reached Memphis, we ran around the train and then headed back to Bluefield.

After that, I decided that since Rooster wasn’t around, I’d have to run the Amtrak. Train 301 departs Bluefield Yard.

Headed down the grade to pass through Woodlawn.

The train is departing Evansville station.

Ben and Ric take a train out of Bluefield.

At the end of Sunday, all of the cars have to be brought back to the basement. Robbie and Ken are bringing in a couple of trains.

Every car is stored on racks of tracks in the basement. The shelves continue way off to the right. That’s Andy trying to make sure it’s all put away correctly.

An overview of the Bluestone Southern. Each operator is also given a clipboard with a track plan schematic to help keep your train on the right track.

Jean and I had a lot of fun this weekend. Thanks to Andy and Jane for making suck a fun event possible.

Thanks for posting, Bruce…

Glad to see you all got back home OK…

We appreciated your company this past weekend…

Nice pics. Thanks for posting them(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Fantastic!

Nice to see you run a real train Bruce but the crew that assembled#301 must have been smoking crack as Amtrak would never run a material handling car in the middle of the consist. I’m also hoping you secretly grabbed them roadrailers. If so you will be fully compensated for this!

LOVE IT!

This is why you don’t see Aunt Jan wearing knee pads unlike Uncle Ric!