Large Scale Central

Blending scales of railways

Greg Elmassian said:

OK unnecessary thread drift has occurred, so that usually signals that everyone has said all they want on the topic. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

So Graeme, what do you think? When will you mock something up?

Greg

Graeme Price said:

I have acquired some new real estate for my new layout.

Inside a 6x4.5 Mtr shed for my G scale and HO scale trains.

My grand plan is to have the G scale in the front about 1 Mtr or so off the floor and the HO at about eye level approx. 1.5 Mtrs off the floor toward the back.

I envisage a mountainous type area to give some sort of forced perspective into the layout.

The G scale will also run out a roller door and run along a 20 Metre length of fence and then run and back in a loop (most likely double track).

The plan is to have an indoor layout for rainy days with the outdoor section running in fine weather.

I have done a bit of searching for “blended scale model railways” but have not had much success.

Has anybody seen something like what I am planning?

PS. This is going out to 3 fora so if you see it on multiples just reply to one

Marking out of the track plan on shed floor started yesterday, nothing much to show just some chalk lines that keep changing in alignment with my thinking.

As for the G scale discussion from now on I will use big trains because I have a mix of scales 1:20.3, 1:29 and 1:24 and I can use them to force a sort of perspective ie 1:20.3 at the front and 1:24 further away.

Once I start mocking up I will post pictures but that may be some time off as I am not actually living in the house permanently just staying here while builders do some renovations.

Once I move in, in mid July, the lady of the house has a few jobs for me to do (list written on a roll of paper towel) before construction can begin in earnest plus I have to acquire 30m of track which is being saved for.

The longest run is just under 4m long and I have to put points along the length to create the yard so a bit of fiddling with curve radii will have to be done.

This is a long term project to keep me occupied in retirement.

Greg Elmassian said:

OK unnecessary thread drift has occurred, so that usually signals that everyone has said all they want on the topic. (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

Not really ? I thought we were about to discuss proper blending of prototypical grades? 5.5 % my ass.

Don’t know about your ass Rooster (and I’m sure no one wants to) but that is a 5.5% grade in the back, measured in rise over run. The far end is about 45 feet away as I remember.