Large Scale Central

Bachmann consolidation split gear

No problem! I’m only one step ahead you Graeme. I started a battery conversion of my Connie almost 2 years ago. Got the gear/axle and installed it, tore the unit down to the chassis, test ran the RC gear and started moving the headlight and thinking about extending the smokebox. That’s where the project stalled. I really do want to finish it, Just need to get motivated.

Daktah John said:

No problem! I’m only one step ahead you Graeme. I started a battery conversion of my Connie almost 2 years ago. Got the gear/axle and installed it, tore the unit down to the chassis, test ran the RC gear and started moving the headlight and thinking about extending the smokebox. That’s where the project stalled. I really do want to finish it, Just need to get motivated.

What sort of R/C?

Why are you moving the headlight and extending the smoke box?

I am using aircraft R/C to control the motor with the direction controlled by a toggle switch activated by a servo.

Direction al lighting is simply LEDs across the motor terminals.

I’m using a Mylocosound card triggered by motor voltage.

I strip all the electronics out and connect directly to the motor for all my locos.

Simple but effective.

I used a robotics controller for my Shay. Throttle self calibrates depending o position at switch on.

Being in Australia the fancy R/C gear is just to expensive when you take into account currency conversion ($1Aust = 0.75c US) and postage something can cost up to or over twice the price hence the simple way.

Just priced the replacement from Bachmann $10 US for part $20 US for postage this is an example of what I have to pay for overseas parts.

Graeme,

Why don’t you just use Tony Walsham for your R/C needs? He is from down under and is a member and advertiser on this forum.

http://www.rcs-rc.com/

X

I use Del Taparo’s Rail Boss System. As Joe suggests, Tony Walsham’ Radio Control Systems has some very nice set ups made in Au.

I am moving the headlight to the top of the boiler and extending the smoke-box to give the loco a more American look. I also “lowered” the tender by adding some material around the bottom. I need to get back to work on this project.

EDIT to Add: There is a nice Connie Bash Thread here on LSC