Large Scale Central

Bachmann 1/29 Standard Gauge Bobber Caboose

Welcome! And while we’re talking suspensions,

Right now, Yahoo-owned websites such as Yahoo itself, tumbler, and relevant here, flickr photo storage, are loading exceedingly slowly, if at all, or I’d show how I gave my Bachmann bobbers 3 point suspension by changing one axle holder strap.
Steps;
1.) change mounting screws from 2 at ends to 1 in middle.
2.) remove the strap and cut wide enough slots in floor from just outboard of center screw mount to original end slots.
3.) shape floor each side of center screw mount to allow axle holder strap to dip down a bit.
4.) reattach axle holder strap with center screw and leave just loose enough for strap to rock side to side a wee bit.

It makes a difference in tracking.

Just tried Freight shed photos first time and uploaded relevant images.

Look for folder titled Forrest’s fotos

Also include marker lights made from Christmas light LED, styrene tube, and miniature electronics plug. Crude but effective.

Also used some blocks of foam to reduce “echo chamber” sound of empty caboose body.

Thanks again, Forrest. I really appreciate the input.

Here are the photos of your modified caboose…

So, how bad do these cabeese actually track if not modified? I acquired mine in a box of train junk priceless goods and I’ve never even run it on track. I will replace the plastic wheels with metal ones to help lower the center of gravity. That should help out. Mine has also been cut down to make it the correct height in 1/29. I don’t know if that would really make any sort of a difference, though. I may also add an interior if I get real desperate for entertainment.

-Kevin.

dieseldude . said:

So, how bad do these cabeese actually track if not modified?

Welcome. And that’s one of those ‘it depends’ situations.

On Bachmann’s G train set track on the family room floor, tracks just fine.

On track out in the wild with the snow, the rain, the heat waves, the gophers, the roots, the leaves, the settling, the frost heave, well …

it can be a bit iffy at times.

Now, granted, the depth of G wheel flanges sure helps keep things on the rails and yet there was observable improvement of the caboose’s ride quality after 3-pointing the suspension.

Oh, and this one came with metal wheels - I have no experience with them with plastic wheels.

Looking back at the photos, of course no one would ever guess I have cats, right. https://youtu.be/HkItpYer-Nk

Aha! Found a 2011 photo at our then brand new model RR club where the marker lights are lit.

Tube over LED has an opening aft, outboard, and forward. LED were those with the inverted cone end with inverted cone lined with Bare Metal Foil, or Testors version of, chrome foil to reflect light out and down even more than inverted cone already does.

And I successfully got photo in here, even shrunk a bit, from the Freight Shed folder, first time ever tried, yay me! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Oh, and green wires pirated from Christmas lights stripped of LED are used for feeders to rather large Bachmann set track oval.

Was later said to me that use of standard outlet plugs could be an issue for the uninformed who dared to tinker with my trains when I wasn’t around. Oh. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)My brain was thinking that I have this wire and have no extra money at that time, use whatcha got and it will definitely carry enough current.

Looks very nice.

But, I’m a bit confused…how can DieselDude be an obviously fictitious name? All of my dreams are now shattered! I know Diesel is good…but what if we just call you “Dude”?(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Anyway…neat project.

I dunno about the Bachmann ones, but the Aristo one I had I retired, because it came back into the station on its side one too many times.