Large Scale Central

Axle bearing/bushings..

Dan Gilchrist said:

John Bouck said:

Dan,

Those would be fine for someone who runs a lot.

I was thinking more of a bronze bushing, or nylon. Those hollow rivets are worth looking into.

I just need an inside diameter. I don’t need all the other sizes in a mixed package.

John, those Wiseman white metal castings look like they just have a small dimple to accommodate the axle. You could probably drill them out a bit to fit the nylon or brass ones I linked to.

Dan, No they have a deep hole. It’s just a little too wide for my steel wheel axle ends. They wobble around a wee bit.

It looks like you have decided that 3 MM is the best inside diameter for “G” scale wheels. Correct?

To all bearing users out there:

Is 3MM inside diameter the norm for metal wheel sets? Or all they all different sizes, depending on the whim of the manufacturer.

I basically use any metal wheel set I can find. I have Gary Raymonds, Al Kramers, Bachmann, etc. in my steel wheel bin box.

John Bouck said:

To all bearing users out there:

Is 3MM inside diameter the norm for metal wheel sets? Or all they all different sizes, depending on the whim of the manufacturer.

I basically use any metal wheel set I can find. I have Gary Raymonds, Al Kramers, Bachmann, etc. in my steel wheel bin box.

I’ve found most axle diameters are 3mm to 3.17mm (1/8 inch). The larger can be turned down a bit by chucking in a drill and holding an emery cloth to it for 3 seconds.

John,

yes, for my eyes they are a little more than 3mm. maybe 3.1 or 3.2 mm

(i measured LGB plastic, LGB metal, Newqida, Playmobil and Bachmann plastic)

when deciding, what to install, take in mind, that the tighter the fit, the greater the chance, that a slightly out of line bushing works like a brake.

(and a little slack between axle and bushing enhances the clicke-ty-clack!)