Large Scale Central

Axioms of Building a Garden Railway

Nicolas Teeuwen said:

Is it possible small animals and birds have use for ballast? Perhaps they use it as the large rocks for their model railways.

That’s the funniest thing I ever heard!!! Thanks for the laugh!

I use to use lime fines for ballast, problem with using lime is it continually decomposes, so about every 2-3 years I had to add more to keep the track in place.

John, you laughed at this?

Well, Nicolas is right: http://blogs.thatpetplace.com/thatbirdblog/2008/06/28/grit-and-gizzards-how-birds-digest-seeds/

Greg

Nicolas Teeuwen said:

Is it possible small animals and birds have use for ballast? Perhaps they use it as the large rocks for their model railways.

The one guy in your state (though still not in driving distance) who advertises he is sitting on a pile of what is effectively parts is convinced, because they are large scale, they are valuable “collector’s items.”

Corollary. There is one guy in your state who is willing to pay “collector’s prices,” perpetuating the cycle of stupidity.

My tortoises will eat my ballast if I let them walk around the railroad. Due to the high iron content, I discourage this. I imagine that the lizards may also do this with the smaller pieces.

You search high and low for that piece of rolling stock you want. You finally find it, but it costs more then you wanted to spend. But since you really want (need) it, you justify spending the money. Then next week, you see that item for sale at several places, for a lot less then you paid for the one you bought.

No matter how many times a year or gallons of Total Ground Killer you put on the ROW it will be the one place where weeds sprout in a bumper crop. Often creating a green belt of vegetation through the layout that is otherwise bereft of plants. Sort of like Mother Natures own perverse Mohawk haircut.

On a side note: TGK has successfully killed a couple of trees along the ROW. Thank God (and Monsanto) those green, leafy, cool shade producing SOBs are gone. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

Dogs and ground level railways do not play well together.

A hot live steamer and his calling card will ruin the mood to run trains.

If you want to enjoy live steam as you age, go with a raised line or a pit that puts the track at atleast waist height right from the begining.

An absolute in the hobby: The track can be the only access to the plants - so you walk on it to weed and clean it. If the roadbed is not rigid (concrete, blocks, other structural stability) won’t the track bend to accommodate the foot traffic ?

Before laying ANY track make a decision on the plants and how you intend to get to them-- and what process for cleaning. I didn’t and wish I had.

Wendell

For snow removal , make sure you have clearance for the shovel if you need to use it , also have switch stands marked!

Sean McGillicuddy said:

For snow removal , make sure you have clearance for the shovel if you need to use it , also have switch stands marked!

Snow plow pictures look so awesome, but when you try to take them you’re reminded why you stay inside during the winter…

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

No matter how many times a year or gallons of Total Ground Killer you put on the ROW it will be the one place where weeds sprout in a bumper crop. Often creating a green belt of vegetation through the layout that is otherwise bereft of plants. Sort of like Mother Natures own perverse Mohawk haircut.

On a side note: TGK has successfully killed a couple of trees along the ROW. Thank God (and Monsanto) those green, leafy, cool shade producing SOBs are gone. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

“Creeping Jenny” is misnamed. It does NOT creep…it gallops and will cover your ROW in no time.

Putting in the last screw takes longer than the first 99 all together.