Large Scale Central

Aristocraft Dash 9

Yea, like Francois mentioned, I simply line up and drill the holes in the bottom cover and currently put a piece of electrical tape over the cover hole. I have run indoors and outdoors in all kinds of weather with the electrical tape, for years without it coming off. I am currently searching for plugs as of this week and I’ll post information, as mentioned above, when I locate the correct ones. For others who may take on this kind of project, I guess it will depend on the size of hole you drill in the bottom plate on the size of plug to use. Thanks for all your expertise and help Greg, appreciate you being there for all of us.

Francois; didn’t mean to clutter up your post with too much info. but hopefully it’ll help you (and maybe others) out some. Hope you get your locomotive repaired ok. If we can help in any way in the future, feel free to ask.

Ken

Here are a couple photos of the first attempt at this. You can see the electrical tape bulge. This is not grease underneath as I have never had grease on the inside of the electrical tape on any locomotive. I just stretched the tape too much when I pulled it off the roll, causing this bulge when applied. If you try not to stretch it, you will get a nice even piece that’s almost invisible. I replaced that piece!

Oh well, like I say, it was my first unit I worked on.

Never thought about making smaller holes but it makes sense. Like I say I’ve never gotten dirt into the gearboxes yet but a smaller hole is probably better. Just made it larger to fit standard grease tube ends into, especially the small Super Lube tubes, if you already have them or have seen them.

I have run outdoors as much as indoors and knock on wood, to date no dirt, damage or problems. I just need to find that plug which I am searching companies for the best one.

Ken

Thank you for all the info. It is very helpful. For the dash 9, i guest is gonna be a shelf ornament for now. Can’t find a motor to repair it. I look here in Canada and no luck. If you know some one that have one and want to sell it, let me know.

Francois

Ken, you are going to have trouble finding the plug I think, because it will protrude too far inside.

I say stick with the tape.

go here and look at the smallest diameter: https://www.heyco.com/Hole_Plugs/product.cfm?product=Sheet-Metal-Plugs-Flush§ion=Hole_Plugs

Greg

Francois,

No guarantees but I’ll look and ask around for you. Worst case senerio, keep your eyes on Ebay. They come up once in a while. Let you know if I find one or someone else with one.

Greg,

Thanks, and your probably right. I looked at the list and I think they will pertrud inward to far but I’ll call and ask since there’s an 800 number, eh, never know, someone may have another idea.

I know the gearboxes need some flexibility also, which a plug may interfere with.

Thanks!

Ken

Hi,

I need some advice.

I have a motor block SS WHEELS TRUNCK WITH MOTOR BLOCK (ART29139) from Aristocraft that was sitting at home and doing noting with it. Can you tell me if it is the same kind of motor that Aristocraft used in the dash 9.

If it is the same motor, I could change the shaft fitting to meet the gear box from the dash 9. What do you think?

Francois,

NO!

That motor is bigger and won’t apply to the Aristo “Prime Mover” trucks like in the Dash-9.

-Ted

There seems to be a big difference in the power “curves” between the “prime mover” motor blocks (modular gearboxes) and the original 2 axle motors, don’t mix them.

Francois, you said last communication Navin instructed you on things to try and he was “not sure” about a replacement motor… have you checked back with him now you are sure you have a bad motor?

Greg

Francois,

As Ted mentioned, I wouldn’t try using that motor.

The only thing I am able to see on Ebay is a full drive that ends in 20 hours as of now.

I will be speaking to Navin on Monday for parts I need and I will see what he has or can get.

I also have 2 G scale parts suppliers searching also. It might take some time though and of course, no guarantees. I do think that eventually something will show up.

Ken

Greg, Ted, anyone else that could look at this and tell me what kind of motors these are on Ebay.

The seller claims they are for Aristocraft SD 45 and Dash 9’s. They don’t match anything I’ve seen and with a long shaft on one side and a short on the other, this doesn’t make sense that it would fit these drives without replacing the shaft and the windings. I don’t know, maybe I’m wrong here but in my search for a motor for Francois, I ran into these and need someone’s opinion.

I tried pasting Ebay’s link here but it won’t work for some obscure reason, so here is the item number for the next 5 days, roughly.

Has anyone seen these? Do they actually work on these drives? Just have my doubts.

Here are the Ebay photos of these motors. (2 more photos on the Ebay page) Photos are the property of their prospective owner.

Ken

diesels yes, sd45, dash 9, no of course not, they would have hex drive on each end, these have no hex drive.

I would have to check the part number, they look very similar, and might be out of the 2 axle, older style diesels…

Greg

Thank you Greg!

It just looked like the shafts were to long on one end.

Ken

Hi, i saw those motor on ebay. Send a message to the seller ant he told me that he make a error, those one are for RS-3. He put the dash 9 for sale (4 motor) with the right photos. I bit on them.

Francois

RE: ebay item: ARISTO-CRAFT-G-SCALE-4-BRAND-NEW-MOTORS-FOR-DASH-9-DIESEL-LOCOMOTIVES

The following pictures posted that I see on ebay appear to be applicable to the Aristo 3 axle prime mover motor blocks. To be sure, ask what their dimensions are.

(But beware, some of the motor leads seem to have been cut short when they were removed!)

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Aristo 3 axle Motors

Caveat emptor!

-Ted

Does the dollar and a quarter come with them?

Francois,

Spoke to Navin and Josh and Dash 9 motors are a bit hard to come by, even for him. Not that it’s impossible, just hard and time consuming. He says he doesn’t have any presently but will keep his eyes open if you aren’t able to obtain the ones on Ebay.

As will I.

Don’t worry too much about the shorter motor leads because the block contact forks are long & movable/bendable and you always can extend the leads also. Just make sure they run well.

I sincerely hope you are able to become the winning bidder on this auction. I am just surprised that this seller didn’t want to sell you a single motor or put one for you on a buy it now. If it’s the same seller.

I guess, however, if it stays at a decent price it will nice to have exras, if you win. Let me know here if you get them and if not I’ll keep on searching for you and so will Navin. He does run into these items occasionally, through his suppliers.

Glad you found out that the other motors were RS 3’s and that he had these Dash 9 motors. Hope you get them at a decent price. Let me know.

David, maybe it’s a discount for the shorter leads.

Ken

Francois,

The gentleman’s name selling these motors is Clay and he said (after my original inquiry) that he’s willing to let the 4 go for $100.00 as he’s been selling lots of 4 at a time for $125.00. He said because he made the mistake, he would be willing to let them go for that price or if you need less he’ll sell you less motors. i did ask him, in a message, if he would be willing to part with a lower number and he said he would. Contact him on Ebay and let him know that I was the one he made the offer to and the one that originally inquired about the motors being for a dash 9. Also let him know I was the one that was searching for a motor for you and he should help you out. Let me know if he doesn’t and we’ll try something different with him.

I’ll try to get you two together, if this doesn’t work.

Good luck, let me know! Ken

I wonder how he is coming by so many used motors.

Greg

Not sure, don’t know him personally but it sounds to me like he has a business in electric motor supply. He seems to have quite a few types in several scales. Oh well, I just hope Francois will get what he needs.

Ken

Greg Elmassian said:

I wonder how he is coming by so many used motors.

Greg

Maybe because the motors are stamped “12.0V”, seemingly rated at 12 volts? If the motors are in series they would be 24 volts, conforming more to what the max voltage would be for “G” scale, but I know the motors are in parallel! Could it be that Aristo’s factory had replaced them with 24 volt rated ones and these ebay motors are those 12 V ones?

Aristo Dash 9 Motor 12V

-Ted