Large Scale Central

Aristo sound question.

Original QSI, has chuff input but no triggers for sounds. You can trigger the bell and whistle remotely when running it on DC with the direction switch on your power pack.

Greg

David,

Is it a similar listing to this one?

http://www.trainworld.com/manufacturers/aristo-craft/parts-and-maintenance/electrical-parts-motors-drive-systems/

(Upper left corner for the U-25 sound board listing)

If so, $119 for a QSI Quantum is a good deal. You can load new sound files very easily if you don’t want what they’ve pre-programmed. (You would need to buy the programming interface, but I highly recommend that for anyone getting QSI decoders anyway, even if you don’t plan on changing the sounds. It makes setting them up so much easier!)

Note that this board can only use the older “Q2” files from QSI’s library. They sound great in their own right, so no worries there. The new Q3 files work with the new Titan boards.

Later,

K

Kevin, similar to that one I guess. The one I bought is no longer listed, so I got the last, or one of the last ones.

It seams a waste to buy the programming interface for one board. If I were to jump on the QSI boards for the rest of my fleet, then a programmer would be on the “need to have” list. I will fiddle with the thing in a month or so and see how frustrated I get trying to set it up without the programmer.

If you need it programmed, you can send it to me, pay the postage both ways, $5 by usps small box flat rate.

Greg

I finally bit the bullet and installed the QSI sound board in my E8 today. It is truly plug and play, it couldn’t have been easier. The prime mover, air brakes, air pump, brake sequel and other sounds sound really good. But I cannot blow the horn nor ring the bell.

Greg Elmassian said:

Original QSI, has chuff input but no triggers for sounds. You can trigger the bell and whistle remotely when running it on DC with the direction switch on your power pack.

Greg

I use an Aristo trackside train engineer, and when I reverse direction with the remote, the TE slows the train to a stop, reverses power, and accelerates back to the original speed, in the other direction. In order to blow the horn on the QSI, the reversal of power has to be quick enough, so the QSI doesn’t power off. With the TE, its not quick at all. I knew there was a reason I took QSI off my list of choices back when I was shopping for sound boards.

Since the E8 pulls my dinner train, and the idea is that someday (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)I will redo the lighting in those cars and add interiors, and then run that train after dark. So not having a horn is not really a bad thing. I do not need to disturb my neighbors with a horn blowing randomly and too often, as happens with my F3 Sierra board as the track gets dirty. So I am leaving the QSI in my E8, but I doubt that I will be purchasing another one.

David Maynard said:

I use an Aristo trackside train engineer, and when I reverse direction with the remote, the TE slows the train to a stop, reverses power, and accelerates back to the original speed, in the other direction. In order to blow the horn on the QSI, the reversal of power has to be quick enough, so the QSI doesn’t power off. With the TE, its not quick at all. I knew there was a reason I took QSI off my list of choices back when I was shopping for sound boards.

Have you tried to use “Emergency Stop” then switch directions and see if that works? It’s still not a “dead stop”

Todd, there is still some “momentum” In there. I do not know how fast the power has to be switched for the QSI.

I like running with RC, so I am not adding a toggle switch to my panel. I hardly ever am at the panel when I run trains anyway.

Yep, TE does not reverse immediately, like a toggle switch. Have to have a real reversing switch.

You can hook up a reversing switch as a relay to the TE and run it from function buttons. I have done this already with the original trackside TE.

I hooked the relay to both momentary and toggled outputs. Hit the momentary and you start/stop the bell. Hit the toggle and you start/stop the horn/whistle.

Just takes a DPDT relay.

Greg