Large Scale Central

Aristo Dash-9 disaster......

Good thought, Max. One of our club members replaced all of his Aristo motor blocks with USAT blocks. He said it was a simple change. He simply liked Charley’s blocks better, said they held up better.

TAC, there is more than one way to skin this Cat. Like Drill Instructor Sgt Breen said often,“Can’t means won’t.”

Quainton? Where dat?

Anyhow, I’ve bit the bullet, not withstanding all the great advice I’ve had here, for which I are v. grateful. Since I have a surplus of SD45s. I’ve switched out two of those trucks for the Dash9’s. I finished the job about an hour syne, and so far all seems to be working as normal. All the sounds are there, too, and lights, just as though nothing had happened. The original motors look good, but all four are totally dead to DC from 0 - 20V.

I don’t have any kind of DCC, BTW, and although our big track over at Mereside CAN be switched to MTS, only Broos and I have any MTS-equipped locos, and we usually arrange down-time to swap out from DC to MTS so that the misfortunate incident that happened to my Dash9 should not have happened without both of us being aware of what was going on.

Yet another reason to leave other folks’ trains alone, especially without asking, right?

Thanks to all.

tac

OVGRS

PS - for my fellow IPPWR’ists, the loco I swapped out was NOT CPR, but one of them fancy Santa Fe locos. :wink:

Yet another reason to leave other folks’ trains alone, especially without asking, right?

Yea, if only…

TAC, did you ever check to see what is REALLY inside that loco?

If it was a QSI as you stated (possiblye), this should not have happened.

I think you have a DC loco with a sound board inside, not a DCC motor controller.

Greg

tac Foley said:

Quainton? Where dat?

Anyhow, I’ve bit the bullet, not withstanding all the great advice I’ve had here, for which I are v. grateful. Since I have a surplus of SD45s. I’ve switched out two of those trucks for the Dash9’s. I finished the job about an hour syne, and so far all seems to be working as normal. All the sounds are there, too, and lights, just as though nothing had happened. The original motors look good, but all four are totally dead to DC from 0 - 20V.

I don’t have any kind of DCC, BTW, and although our big track over at Mereside CAN be switched to MTS, only Broos and I have any MTS-equipped locos, and we usually arrange down-time to swap out from DC to MTS so that the misfortunate incident that happened to my Dash9 should not have happened without both of us being aware of what was going on.

Thanks to all.

tac

OVGRS

PS - for my fellow IPPWR’ists, the loco I swapped out was NOT CPR, but one of them fancy Santa Fe locos. :wink:

tac Foley said:

Quainton? Where dat?

Vale of Aylesbury Model Engineering Society (VAMES), in the grounds of the Buckinghamshire Railway Centre. 6 miles NW of Aylesbury on what was the London end of the Great Central/Metropolitan Railways. They have 7 1/4" and 5" 1.2 km track + a very large 45 mm (G & G1)/32 mm oval circuit. Must be a few around the UK that fit the bill. Max