Large Scale Central

Are you wary of Li-Po batteries?

I decided to video the birdies today and took my Gear-Pro with an Li-Po cell off charge (charges off USB from computer) that I started yesterday. When I unplugged it, the front cover popped open. I found I couldn’t get it to close so opened it up and lo and behold, the battery was all puffed out of shape.

Certainly I didn’t use the wrong charger. And while the camera powers up, I’m a bit leary about using this (my only) pack now. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Ok this may be a totally ignorant question, but why would we want a Li-PO and even assume the risk when LI-Ion works and is stable (ish). I realize they are smaller but not enough so to concern the Large scale enthusiasts are they? I talked to RC car guys about this and they (at my local hobby shop) all use and carry Li-Po but they are afraid of them and use special bags to store and charge them in. When asked why they use them the answer was weight and size for racing. Well unless we are racing our trains seems to me to not even be worth the risk. Am I off base?

EDIT: to remove incriminating evidence

Devon Sinsley said:

Ok this may be a totally ignorant question, but why would we want a Li-PO and even assume the risk when LI-Ion works and is stable (ish). I realize they are smaller but not enough so to concern the Large scale enthusiasts are they? I talked to RC car guys about this and they (at my local hobby shop) all use and carry Li-Po but they are afraid of them and use special bags to store and charge them in. When asked why they use them the answer was weight and size for racing. Well unless we are racing our trains seems to me to not even be worth the risk. Am I off base?

A LiPo might be my only route, if I want to power my USAT S4, unless I want to drag a power car, which I don’t want to do.

Are Li-Pos that much smaller? I could see if it is that much smaller and it is the only option. Then I would say use them but do what the car guys do and remove the battery and charge it in a safe place. I will say that the car guys said that even though they are leery they have never seen one blow up if properly stored and charged.

I wanted to do this for the little indoor micro idea I have in mind and he cautioned to make a fire proof explosion proof charging box. But he also said it was just a precaution so I don’t run any risk of burning my house down.

Hi Steve, good news I have been offering a battery pack for the USA S4 since it came out and also the NW-2. For the S4 we have the Cordless Renovation CR2105, 14.8V 2200 Lithium that fits under the hood right behind the grill before the speaker. You can see the install at this link. http://www.rcsofne.com/galleries/installs-scales/

Don

RCS of New England

Todd Brody said:

I decided to video the birdies today and took my Gear-Pro with an Li-Po cell off charge (charges off USB from computer) that I started yesterday. When I unplugged it, the front cover popped open. I found I couldn’t get it to close so opened it up and lo and behold, the battery was all puffed out of shape.

Certainly I didn’t use the wrong charger. And while the camera powers up, I’m a bit leary about using this (my only) pack now. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Todd, In your case, the “puffing” is likely the result of poor quality control when the chemicals were combined and or the use of inferior materials in effort to save some coin… Biggest culprit/compromise is the humidity level when said chemicals are combined. Unfortunately all batteries have some H20 in the mix, water is a contaminant. In a nut shell, any substance containing oxygen freed by electrolysis or heat will become a contaminant, so substances that are not the intended anode, cathode, or separator are contaminants that will reduce the performance of the cell and cause swelling. All batteries can suffer from the aforementioned considerations.

Lithium-Ion and Lithium Poly cells react harmoniously to contaminants, biggest consideration is the packaging, Li-Po’s Mylar soft shell envelopes expand and its noted, hard metal shell enclosures of Li-Ion can withstand far greater pressure before distorting (accordingly they have PTC pressure reliefs). Thing is you don’t even recognize there maybe an issue with Li-Ion’s until they vent.

Also not knowing the history of your camera, age, battery cycles and life within elevated temperatures (cars are ovens, direct sunlight), all contribute to premature life of lithium batteries. I’m not familiar with your camera but if its one of those all inclusive $25.00 or so offerings, the answer maybe more obvious than not.

Michael

Devon Sinsley said:

Are Li-Pos that much smaller? I could see if it is that much smaller and it is the only option. Then I would say use them but do what the car guys do and remove the battery and charge it in a safe place. I will say that the car guys said that even though they are leery they have never seen one blow up if properly stored and charged.

I wanted to do this for the little indoor micro idea I have in mind and he cautioned to make a fire proof explosion proof charging box. But he also said it was just a precaution so I don’t run any risk of burning my house down.

Li-Po’s are not necessarily smaller, but come in far greater size ranges both of capacity, discharge and voltage. And generally speaking are less expensive for our needs too.

Most of us remove batteries before charging, so in that circumstance there is no consideration IMO. Especially with the advanced features of todays balance chargers, Li-Po batteries fitted with balance pigtails are charged with more intelligent algorithms than are typically implemented of Li-Ion batteries with PCB’s.

FWIW; I don’t believe anyone with the appropriate knowledge will argue that a Li-Ion battery equipped with a typical PCB is safer to charge than a Li-Po battery utilizing a balance charger, mono, mono… Remember that the chemical matrix of these two types of batteries is nearly identical…

I have several Li-Ion batteries rigged up with balance charge pigtails, sans PCB’s, technology works great for either cell type.

If you can’t remove the battery get a metal mailbox or similar and charge on from within…

Michael