Large Scale Central

A Tale of two Websites

**Jon Radder said:**But, he posted prolifically, both his own work and offering suggestions to others. He inspired many people to try things for the first time and be proud of the results even if it was beginner level stuff. He spread his enthusiasm by putting together an build challenge to encourage first time modelers to try something.

A lot of the life of a thing is in the doing of the thing.

And spreading enthusiasm nourishes life.

Companies like I work for that most communications is via email constantly deal with “attitudes” and being professional. I end up teaching an email etiquette twice a year to the 50+ members in my division. And what’s not funny is that the worst offenders are the ones who have been around for awhile and still have to be counseled outside of the training classes. Never ending. I try to keep any comments I make on sites like this and emails professional and helpful when called for. One of the things I do is write my response or input and then don’t send or post until I have read it at least 3 times (I’m anal that way) to make sure it’s “right”. Even then I goof sometimes - we all do.

Boomer K. MOGWAI said:

That’s exactly what LSC readers look like after reading my posts!!

The computer ate my homework! I’ll try writing this again!

First, Boomer, that crowd would have been great at the railway station when Rooster came to visit. I can hear him clucking!

I see no easy solution to a “problem list.”

The spirit of this list is why it has been here so long.

I emailed a lot with Mik and he always made my day.

I am legally blind and building challenged but always look forward to the challenge. That spirit is reflected in the entire list and that is why so many of us have been here so long!

OK, I just encountered the ‘inexpensive widget’ situation on Shawn’s lighting thread. This is how I answered. How’d I do?

david bunn said:

I noticed that B and M, a discount store brand over here in the UK, while in town today have a set of white miniature leds around fifty I think that run off two AA batteries for under £4.00. I bought a similar set last Christmas for the tree from another store, at greater cost, and they are really good. The leds are strung on thin bare wire and it seems to me that they would make a good cheap way to light buildings etc.

Regards

David

I’m familiar with the ones you speak of. I saw some in a shop last weekend. They would work great with a couple of things to consider. As stated above, the color will be bright white, but these are tiny LED chips so they are not overpoweringly bright. Second, plan on changing batteries regularly. You can expect to get about 24 hours at full brightness from the LEDS then perhaps a week or more of gradually dimming light as the batteries go flat. My wife uses a similar set in the bathroom as a night light. They are always on. We use really cheap Heavy Duty carbon-zinc batteries. Alkalines may last a bit longer, but I get these free or really cheap from Harbor Freight. Of course, if you switch them off when not needed the batteries will last a lot longer.

I originally planned to use some similar sets in my buildings, but decided I wanted them on all night at full brightness, so chose to plug them in.

Bob McCown said:

Bringing this back to LSC, guess what kind of complaints I get from new users about how LSC feels to new people? Guess what kind of complaints I spend my time responding to our existing members?

You should not have to respond to anything?

“This is your site” and I’m very thankful for it and try to show my appreciation for it by supporting it financially and in other ways the new widget followers don’t understand! Perhaps the new Widget followers could also contribute to the site while they bitch to you about how a widget site should be run?

Perhaps this is what happens when the other Widget sites are unresponsive to the new members? Then everyone flocks to the Widget site that is responsive to the new members with positive attitudes and welcomes them warmly.

Then what happens on the other Widget site that flames and downgrades it’s members? They eventually realize they have no members to flame and downgrade so they move to the WIDGET SITE that has new members coming in which brings down all widget fans and the hobby of widgets?

However this is a hobby whether it be widgets or trains it’s still a hobby and without promoting sites as such to the new generation the hobby will fail.

NOW this is just my opinion !

It’s also my opinion for those heavy users of the site that are thanked to give thanks as well as widget sites are becoming rare!

Ratios tell stories and if this thread continues I would personally like a Pop UP book version as they always excite the hell out of me!

I have been suckered into a couple of those pissing matches myself. Most always with the same couple of people. In the end, it accomplished nothing but upsetting others, and hacking Bob off. For that part I apologize.

I believe in people for the most part. And I usually believe someone is trying to help, even if it doesn’t come across that way. As has been said before, there is nothing on the net that conveys the expressions the author is trying to put into a post. Therefore we must choose our words a bit more carefully. When offering help, expressions such as: “Have you tried or thought of ___" ; "Can I suggest you ______ "; or "This has worked for me in the past " are far more helpful than "Do it this way”, “You are doing it all wrong _______”. Now if you know the person a bit better, and you two have an understanding of some jabs you have going back and forth, that is different. Also, don’t badger someone, that seems to be the worse thing on some of these threads. Offer your opinion / advice and then let them form their own conclusion, don’t keep on them until they give in.

I have an good example of something that happened on this site, from a person who I consider a friend from chat on the other Widget site. He has a thread going, and someone offered a suggestion (and that is put mildly) that they sincerely believed was helpful. Now, the builder is of above average intelligence; he weighed the suggestion and expressed his desire not to do it. The post went from you should do, to you must do, to you have to do it. To the point it frustrated the builder extremely. When we were chatting one night, I inquired a 3rd party with a lot of experience on the subject. At that point, the builder became very angry at me. After the smoke settled, and he went back and read what was wrote things smoothed over. The fact is, it boiled over on to me after making the inquiry because he was badgered here so ruthlessly.

Expert is a good one. There are Experts, and the there are “Experts” When determining an Expert, you have to think of a few things. “Experts” are not weighed on how many times they post, that simply means you like to hear yourself talk. “Experts” who will argue with someone because they have a long standing feud with them, are not Experts. “Experts” who travel from thread to thread giving their advice, at the same time never showing their own work, are not Experts. “Experts” who find it necessary to publicly point out grammatical or spelling errors, are just being assholes (Put Bluntly). Publishing an article in a magazine does not make you an Expert. The fact is, nobody is an Expert. Most of of have a lot of experience, and some have more knowledge in one part of the hobby, but can’t find their way out of a wet paper bag in another aspect.

One thing I find here, on other Widget sites, and in clubs; it is very hard for a new person to feel welcome. The “old timers” have formed their little groups (sometimes unintentionally) and it leaves the new guy standing on the sidelines like a 7th grade boy at the school dance.

In the end, thanks Bob for putting up with us. I know sometimes it is like trying to heard cats around here.

Chris

" Rooster " said:

Bob McCown said:

Bringing this back to LSC, guess what kind of complaints I get from new users about how LSC feels to new people? Guess what kind of complaints I spend my time responding to our existing members?

You should not have to respond to anything?

“This is your site” and I’m very thankful for it and try to show my appreciation for it by supporting it financially and in other ways the new widget followers don’t understand! Perhaps the new Widget followers could also contribute to the site while they bitch to you about how a widget site should be run?

Perhaps this is what happens when the other Widget sites are unresponsive to the new members? Then everyone flocks to the Widget site that is responsive to the new members with positive attitudes and welcomes them warmly.

Then what happens on the other Widget site that flames and downgrades it’s members? They eventually realize they have no members to flame and downgrade so they move to the WIDGET SITE that has new members coming in which brings down all widget fans and the hobby of widgets?

However this is a hobby whether it be widgets or trains it’s still a hobby and without promoting sites as such to the new generation the hobby will fail.

NOW this is just my opinion !

It’s also my opinion for those heavy users of the site that are thanked to give thanks as well as widget sites are becoming rare!

Ratios tell stories and if this thread continues I would personally like a Pop UP book version as they always excite the hell out of me!

Dang, if I even had half a clue what you are trying to say I’d be happy. Will come back and re-read after 4-5 adult beverages when I am on the same plane (or are you riding the bus?) (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Bob, for what it’s worth, I think you have a great site here, with a bunch of friends, associates, modelers, and craftsmen as members. There’s definitely a friendly warmth around here. I’m one of those that sit on the sidelines and read, learn, and once in a while, post when I have something to add, or ask questions. I’d hate to see you close up shop because of a few bad “eggsperts”.

Jon, I agree with you.

I have followed along and this seems to be an interesting thread, I guess, as I don’t really have a clue as to what most posters are referring too with all the subtle hints and innuendos.

I do think, as others have stated that building threads have fallen by the way side, with a few notable exceptions, as more people on this and other forums would rather argue and post clever comments than address the basics of building Garden Rail Roads.

I have seen the term “EXPERT” used quite a few times in this thread and all I can think of is what my Granddaddy told me years ago. An expert is nothing more than a “Has been drip under pressure” . That definition should be self explanatory.

Thanks to Bob for putting up with all us A-- H----

Have fun with your trains

Rick

Weighing in as a newbie and a member of two forums, I have to say this site - and this hobby - are pretty devoid of the eat-their-young know-it-alls that inhabit the living history / reenacting hobbies! Seriously, I am sure there are trolls and the self-proclaimed experts, and I am sure that my handful of posts have met with more than a few snickers and rollings of the eye, but, in general, I have found the forum well moderated, the advice, either given to me directly or absorbed by me as I read what was offered to others, well written, and the exchanges collegial. I think most of us, this newbie included, recognize that “cream may rise to the top, but s__t also floats” and will take the former while avoiding the latter.

To the veteran hobbyists, thanks for your work and your inspiration! New guys and gals are out here, so keep it up!

Aloha,

Eric

Vic Smith said:

Tony Walsham said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a widget?

I think its these, funny as I think these are just a massive waste of time (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Vic, but does it go around an R1 curve?

Thanks Bob for posting on this matter, and thanks all for your insights.

As a transplant from the other site (and it wasn’t for personality reasons), it did take me a bit to understand and fit into the culture here. Quite different, but sure worth the trouble. Wow, what a lot of new friends I have here! And I still have friends “over there,” so all is good.

I’d like to point out one technical difference in this “tale of two websites,” because in my mind it affects how new members are greeted. At least when I was heavily involved there, each forum section on MLS had its own moderator, and they were responsible for greeting people in their own sections, and addressing those initial posts. After Chad had to sell the site for personal reasons, and a more or less robotic company took over maintenance, I don’t know how well that moderator system is holding up today, though some here can speak to that.

A huge benefit here is that everyone knows that LSC’s “benevolent dictator” Bob is not only maintaining and upgrading the site, he is also moderating the culture here (as in this thread), and intervenes when necessary. MLS has no counterpart nowadays. But we all need to take some bit of responsibility for the character of the site, especially in making newer folks feel welcome and their efforts appreciated. (I’m preaching to myself there).

This is off topic, but another difference is that Bob is funding this site, and maintaining it, all on his own nickel. Unlike MLS, which is flooded with ads now, and has serious maintenance issues. That’s why I financially support LSC, and encourage all to do the same.

Just my 2 cents. Sincere thanks Bob for all you’re doing.

===>Cliffy

Paradise . said:

Vic Smith said:

Tony Walsham said:

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a widget?

I think its these, funny as I think these are just a massive waste of time (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Vic, but does it go around an R1 curve?

You know, if that was made entirely of stainless steel, it could and would be sold as a piece of rigging hardware for a sailboat. Many times used for adjustable back stays and double fore stays, plus all kinds of rigging options to tighten to shrouds, stays or cables equally. Sorry, a former life just showed its face.

I agree, there are many forums out there, and I’m a member of a number of them, car forums, electronics forums, etc.

As bad as some people think it is here, it is far nicer than the vast majority. Take out the forums with the “fake courtesy” where the favorites can do whatever they want and the transplants eat s**t, and that vaults this forum to pretty darn high.

One large reason in my mind, and this is not polishing his boots, is Bob. He is consistent, fair, and even handed. Forums with different moderators very rarely are consistent. Using XXX (true name edited) as an example there are some moderators that are very active, some you never hear from. Some are even handed and fair and some are evil spawn that would sell their souls to be “famous”.

So, even though that was my primary “location”, I’m migrating to a nicer, and more consistently fair web site, here.

Greg