Large Scale Central

A new, unorthodox, layout

Hidie ho neighbor! not sure what part of town you are but I am 91st Ave s of Bell. Nice use of the small side yardI am on a corner lot, so I have 15 ft wide area i could do the same thing on. I want to use the long back wall of my yard for longer mainline , but your idea is a really cool one for the side yard that does not get a lot of use. Gives me something to ponder.

looking through the pictures once more I see all sorts of oppertunities for expansion, around the giant office building cube, along the house and loop back or a larger dogbone shape bent around the 3 walls. The idea of having the whole thing window level for viewing from inside is also a possibility. Wow a whole new concept for us small sub-division yard types

gee when click on the vodeo to play it. i get a lable that its PRIVATE whats up with that

RE; video

I got ‘please sign in’ but wouldn’t say where…

John

Great ideas, thanks for sharing.

John Caughey said:

RE; video

I got ‘please sign in’ but wouldn’t say where…

John

It means to sign into your YouTube account. It doesn’t matter though, it’s now still private. I tried it. It won’t let you see it. It wasn’t originally marked PRIVATE. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-yell.gif)

I have a utube act?

Back when the NFL streamed a game on Yahooey, I gave up after 3 minutes of buffering and 1 minute of choppy action… DSL DurnSlowLine

Thanks Joe,

John

You guys do know that Pete revived a thread from April of last year, right?

So no big surprise that in 9 months it might have gone private. Also seems that we have not revived the OP either ha ha!

Greg

Greg Elmassian said:

You guys do know that Pete revived a thread from April of last year, right?

So no big surprise that in 9 months it might have gone private. Also seems that we have not revived the OP either ha ha!

Greg

I was kinda thinkin the same thing byt just decided to let it go. . .(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

I’d like to hear from Matt, and to “un-private” the video so I can see what’s up.

There’s a lot of thread necromancy going on lately, and it isn’t always fruitful.

Greg

-snip- “thread necromancy”

It’s a double edge sword; we send folks to the archives to learn, then a reflex to respond kicks in …

I catch 80% of the rebirths but missed this one. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

John

Yep, it’s a double-edged sword for sure.

On one hand, it makes sense to keep one thread for one topic, and add on to the knowledge in the thread.

On the other hand, if someone starts a thread long ago, and 2 years later you reply specifically to that person (not really the thread contents), like “Hi neighbor where do you live” then it’s normally a waste of time.

I know Pete is “new”, but this is not the first old thread he’s resurrected.

Greg

John Caughey said:

-snip- “thread necromancy”

It’s a double edge sword; we send folks to the archives to learn, then a reflex to respond kicks in …

I catch 80% of the rebirths but missed this one. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

John

As one of those people that has been sent to the dungeon for old knowledge the problem is often times the old knowledge isn’t there. So you end up asking the same old question anyway. Or you revive a dead thread hope to get a response and then you get reminded it is an old dead thread.

I am not picking on you Greg but your one of the ones that sent me off to google everything and that is not a bad thing to do. After all there is a wealth of information stored in these old threads. But it does tend to be frustrating as you wade through broken links or missing pictures and files. So it really is a double edge sword.

I guess we all have to take the good with the bad. Us less educated ones need to look through the archives but the old timers had better be willing to see old threads revived when we still have questions.

The nice thing about LSC is it has never really been a problem either way.

I have seen that same effect on the other forum. A question from 2, 3 or 4 years ago will be answered by someone. The problem is, the OP has faded away. As an administrator, sometimes I check to see when was the last time the OP visited the site, and then I chuckle, because the OP has been gone for so long.

And let that be a lesson to all of us. The really bad posts we have made, or will make, never really die. Gee, I hope some of my real bad blunders don’t resurface. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-embarassed.gif)

Ok so I will refrain from replying to any posts from over 2 years ago, I didn’t know it would cause problems… kidding, like Greg said I am new and trying to learn , researching different topics and just killing time on different pages. I was kinda hoping he is fairly close to me so I could see it in person. Didn’t think that would be wrong. Just trying to not ask the " its been answered 50 times in 45 different threads" questions as us FNG’s can do for hours on end.

On a related topic, reading and finding answers from 2 or 3 years ago help, but in some areas the tech , or the hobby in general has way passed what the standard normal was back then, so how long to wait before asking something that has been asked a lot already?

Yeah, I did see that he might be a neighbor, hint: try a private message, so he will see a message whenever he logs in.

The best advice is find the existing information, and see if it answers your question, and if not, then decide if it makes sense to add on to an existing thread (normally if it extends or follows the thread), or often it’s a lot better to start a new thread.

Often the old thread is not exactly what you want, and the subject might not be exactly right, when you start a new thread, you get to be nice and specific in the title. Not everyone reads all the threads on the site (like I do), so getting the right title will help you get the information quickly. New topics often get more responses. Again, do not be afraid to start a new thread.

Asking something that has been asked a lot, because the information comes from 2 or 3 years ago really does not make sense to me, because the technology for almost everything has not changed. Even DCC, probably the fastest moving, does not change a lot on the basic questions.

Hope this helps,

Greg

I will say this, and it is done so with the utmost respect for Greg (in my humble opinion one of the most helpful and knowledgeable people here), if you have a question ask, and who gives two s**ts if it has been asked and answered 50 times on 45 threads. By far and away most people on here A) like to talk trains, B) like to share in your enthusiasm, C) like to impart their wisdom. If new guys can’t ask the same old questions (which are new to them) then the only ones on here will be the old guys. The mentality of the knowledge is out there go find it just plan sucks. No one, old timer and newbie alike, likes to be relegated to the basement to scour threads from years ago to get a partially helpful answer. We want to talk to people, converse with people, share with people, and learn from people. So I say ask away and you will find that most people will chime in and help and one of the ways they might help is to direct you to an old thread which is just fine.

Now something Greg mentioned that I do agree with wholeheartedly is the title is important and will likely garner the most help. I don’t do this well at all, it is advice I could certainly learn from. I try to be cute with my titles and well that probably just isn’t the best plan when seeking a broad audience.

Another piece of advice is to check out Greg’s website (even though it can be a bitch to navigate, sorry Greg but it can be). He really does have a wealth of knowledge on there. And despite how hard he tries to seem like an old fuddy duddy (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)and cant be a bit blunt and short with people, Greg really is a nice guy who loves to help new guys. But he will tell you to Google it a lot.

So Pete ask away, revive dead threads, stir the pot. I do and they haven’t kicked me out yet.

I’m working on the web site Devon, but with 650 pages, it’s tough. Try the search some times, it’s on the top and bottom of every page.

I’ll get it better.

Greg

Pete Lassen said:

Ok so I will refrain from replying to any posts from over 2 years ago, I didn’t know it would cause problems… kidding, like Greg said I am new and trying to learn , researching different topics and just killing time on different pages. I was kinda hoping he is fairly close to me so I could see it in person. Didn’t think that would be wrong. Just trying to not ask the " its been answered 50 times in 45 different threads" questions as us FNG’s can do for hours on end.

On a related topic, reading and finding answers from 2 or 3 years ago help, but in some areas the tech , or the hobby in general has way passed what the standard normal was back then, so how long to wait before asking something that has been asked a lot already?

Don’t wait, there’s no time limit on when to ask questions. Some threads go on for 2 or 3 years, depends on the subject matter. And as far as I know, Bob has never set a limit on how many times a question can be asked. With most of us it’s not an issue. Neither is bringing up a subject that’s a couple years old, or couple of months or a couple of weeks. If it’s possible, we’ll direct you to the thread that has the answer for you. If not, you’ll get an answer.

And there’s no need to apologize. To most of us it’s not a problem. All of us have been “FNG’s” here at one time or another and most of us here understand it can be intimidating and time consuming wading through threads looking for a specific subject. If your looking for a particular thread, most of the time the author of the thread or someone will find it for you and post a link to it. The one thing to avoid is “not” asking a question you would like an answer too. Or feel a subject is too old to respond too. Some of us may appreciate it since we may have missed it on it’s first go-round…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)