Large Scale Central

A boxcar and covered hopper build

Looking great, so far!!

-Kevin.

I bet these have a nice weight to them. I like my cars with a little weight, I know you can’t pull as many but they seem to track better. Looking forward to seeing the finished string!

I’ve been a little short on time for the cars, and I also had to wait on a plastics order because I ran out of the rib pieces. Putting on the ribs

And then the second piece is added

While waiting on the plastic to arrive I worked on the hoppers and glued one set on to check their appearance

Also cut the bolsters and center sills for the boxcars

It was getting late one day and I started making mistakes, so I stopped for the day and only had to repair the one cars ribs

The above was caused by not pre-bending the rib piece, and applying the glue to the bend. I had none snap when I held the rib in place without pre-bending, but applying the glue to the flat surface first.

Hollywood, Looks like one of your workers had a fatal accident working on that hopper :smiley: Hope you have Worker’s Comp :wink: Great job on those cars ! Ralph

Dave Marconi said:

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/freightcars/HPIM2689.jpg)

Any updates? It’s been a full week ya’ know!

Randy McDonald said:
What Jon said....and glad to see someone else besides me uses real wood in their builds. ;)
What about me, Randy? I thought I was using real wood...:)
David Russell said:
Any updates? It's been a full week ya' know!
Yeah, really. What's the hold-up ???? :D

Jon Radder said:

David Russell said:
Any updates? It’s been a full week ya’ know!

Yeah, really. What’s the hold-up ??? :smiley:

Yeah, a bit over a week, but that work thing is something I’m not used too. I’ve only been able to get a few hours in throughout the course of a week, but that’s better than no time. My time has been spent cutting the double pieces for the access hatches, and gluing those together.

the hatches were then grouped together and a band was applied around the edge.

half banded and the other half started

Today I was finally able to mark off the six hoppers for the access hatches and get them glued in place.

Also the plastic order came in and I have been able to finish ribbing the cars.Next is to frame out the door areas on the boxcars and work on the lids for the access hatches on the hoppers.

Looking good Hollywood. looks like you keep cutting yourself :slight_smile:

Looking good Hollywood, but have to agree with Shawn, seems to be alot of red ‘stuff’ going on. :wink:

Dave Marconi said:
My time has been spent cutting the double pieces for the access hatches, and gluing those together.

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/freightcars/HPIM2700.jpg)

Seems like there’d be an easier way, like finding some tiles the right size in that builder’s supply place you work :wink: Ralph

I hear ya on cutting all the identical parts. I needed 20 roof walk support sides. By the time I got 10 or so done I started to learn how to do it.

Time for a minor progress report. Finally got the top door tracks on the boxcars and the center rib above the tracks.

That should be the last work on these until after the show.

Back on the build with a bit more progress. Slope sheet bracing

Got the end sill in place with the top for the center sill

A end pieces in place

B end pieces set

Also decided to finish covering the bare wood

Next up is to finish the center sills to accept body mounted couplers and set the corner angles. Then I’ll need to paint the ends before i can finish the build

The pictures just don’t do it justice, Dave. I enjoyed seeing your fine work at the show. Nice work.

with a bit of time in the shop I got a bit more done. The A end.

The B end

Coupler mount pads.

The pads are a four piece sandwich. The center post on the ends are 3" scale channel, and the corner post are 3’ scale angle. I have also attached three sets of the coupler pads to cars after the pads were drilled for screws.

An update on progress as well as a thank you for the comments. Coupler mounts installed, also bolster pads.

Brake wheel supports and braces installed.

Spacer between the supports.

Brake wheel housing.

Installed.

Hopper doors started.

And getting framed.

(http://i638.photobucket.com/albums/uu101/dltrains/freightcars/HPIM27542.jpg)

Set up on trucks to see how they were looking on clearance,

I also put some time on the boxcars and got the doors ready to be placed on the cars.

That gets us up to where I am currently in the build

looking good, Hollywood… :slight_smile:

…:)…
Bout time you reviled them pictures!

Magnificent work! I admire your project, it’s looking great. Only thing is your yard crew is gonna hate you, putting those brake wheels all the way up there so they have to climb up and down to tie and release those brakes! I hate it when cars like that come thru the yard!!