Large Scale Central

611 moves again in steam!!!

The first mainline run of the 611 since 1994.

Unfortunately, I was unable to attend.

But, judging from this video, she seems to be moving along nicely (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)

Ralph

SWEET!!!

Was that in the NEC …“Danger Train Approaching” !

Seems that they had one problem today similar to what we have in Large Scale.

While going around one leg of the Y the tender came up tight on one side and they had to stop and back out. I understand that they had to run in reverse for the trip back.

Real nice to see the 611 back in steam

Stan

Stan Ames said:

Seems that they had one problem today similar to what we have in Large Scale.

While going around one leg of the Y the tender came up tight on one side and they had to stop and back out. I understand that they had to run in reverse for the trip back.

Real nice to see the 611 back in steam

Stan

They were able to turn on the wye in Greensboro.

It was the wye in Salisbury at the end of the return trip that gave them problems.

So they had to back a couple of miles to the North Carolina Transportation Museum in Spencer.

Ralph

I volunteer to drop the pin in the longer drawbar setting.

OK guys, I think that with strong certiny, There is no “Longer drawbar”. Now the only ones that I have personally handled and seen are from the K’s at Durango and Chama, and the one off of D&RG 315. Every one that I have had my hands on looked custom forged for that engine. Not that a longer one couldn’t be made. There are some other considerations like water and air lines, and floor decking between the tender and the cab.

Here is the draw bar on 315. 2" thick and about 18" long. Those are the Pins that hold the two haves together.

If this area is to run regularly, then they just might engineer a longer bar. CAD plasma cutters could whip one out in no time at all, and about 3 hours to replace it.

I just got home via Roanoke, and they are setting things up for 611’s return next weekend. The lady at the desk at the O. Winston Link Museum proudly told us she is riding the train. There are a couple of what look like ‘private varnish’ coaches east of the Museum, and I believe the Y6 was pushed from the DOT shed down to where 611 is arriving. It’s all happenin’ in Roanoke!

I just had an interesting evening waiting to see N&W 611 on the web cam at the locations that were available on the Trains magazine web site. They had a web cam at certain places en route. I did see her and her consist go beneath a bridge located south of Lynchburg VA. But a much better view was obtained where the web cam was sited by the Lynchburg - Salem turnpike. I watched for about an hour but the wait was broken by interviews of people who had travelled to see the train. It was interesting to see and hear Jim Wrinn.

The wait was rewarding and she cruised by hauling a very long train of what I guess were heavyweights and aluminium sided cars. The vista dome mentioned in an earlier post was there as was a tail observation car.

Within a short time she was rolling through Roanoke VA to the Virginia Museum of Transportation. Roanoke managed some crowds and they even closed one or two roads - something unlikely to happen here. I guess, when all is said and done the inaugural run was a very special occasion and Roanoke is a railway town as far as I know.

I talked to Jim Wrinn last weekend at Spencer. Jim is originally from Western NC and spent many years doing volunteer work at the North Carolina Transportation Museum. I believe he is still a board member of the museum.

So Jim’s been having the time of his life. Getting to spend some time at “home”, as well as being involved with the historic N&W 611 project.

I “chased” the 611 back to Roanoke yesterday. The crowds lining the tracks in Virginia were unbelievable. I scouted some locations that I thought would be remote enough to be overlooked by the regular railfans chasing the train. Only to get there and find hundreds of locals at each location waiting to see the 611.

There were literally 10’s of thousands of people between Danville & Roanoke waiting to see the 611 return home.

I’ve done my fair share of steam locomotive chases in the last several years. I’ve never seen a local turnout like this.

Ralph

Well, I must admit it certainly has been something especial Ralph. There were lots of folks and families at the VMT today. I watched the web cam. Jim and the young woman made a couple of appearances on the cam.

I presume the two other locos either side of 611 were 1218 and 1256.

http://www.vmt.org/visit/calendar.html

It was a long day saturday. Left Woodbridge, VA around 7:15 am for the three and a half hour trip to my first spot that I scouted out on Google maps south of Lynchburg, arriving there at around 10:45. Schedule for 611 was to be in Lynchburg around noon. Only myself and three others at the spot until around noon when a few others showed up. 611 came through at 12:41. After it passed I moved on to spot #2 I had scouted. Full of people, no place to park, so I moved to spot three. Same situation. then to four and so on until I decided to just get to downtown and capture its arrival. Bridges were full, so I opted for the glass enclosed bridge that goes from downtown Market Street area to the Hotel convention complex on the other side. No breeze or air in the glass box. It was like a sauna, so those of us who stayed there for two hours waiting were really hard-core. Best T-shirt I saw was one gentleman wearing a SP GS4 Daylight. The “other” most beautiful train in the world according to the locals. :slight_smile: Left as soon as I got the last video and pics. Didn’t stay any longer as it was already past five pm and I had another three and a half drive to go. Long day for six stills and 3 minutes of video. Will do it all again this next Saturday when it comes to Manasas for the railfest.

You did good Scott! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I’ll be down in Manassas too, next weekend with Ralph Berg and Bruce Chandler catching it’s run to Front Royal. I’m gonna head down Fri and do some scouting. Know any good spots around there?

Joe Zullo said:

You did good Scott! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

Ya what Joe said!

Ken Brunt said:

Know any good spots around there?

Ken,

I’m, going to just follow up Route 55 which parallels the track for a good distance until it heads over to The Plains. I’m just going to pick them as I see them and hope I can find some good spots on the fly before they fill up like they did in Roanoke. I’m trying to find out how early it is going to arrive in Manassas so I can get some pre-boarding shots. Have a fun trip!

Scott

Scott McDonald said:

Ken Brunt said:

Know any good spots around there?

Ken,

I’m, going to just follow up Route 55 which parallels the track for a good distance until it heads over to The Plains. I’m just going to pick them as I see them and hope I can find some good spots on the fly before they fill up like they did in Roanoke. I’m trying to find out how early it is going to arrive in Manassas so I can get some pre-boarding shots. Have a fun trip!

Scott

That looked like the best route to take to me too. I’m going to be there Friday afternoon and scout out a few places along there. We’ll be staying in Manassas right around the corner from the station so that should be an easy one. Hope you have a fun trip too…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Locality Manassas City**Date(s)/Time:**Saturday, June 06, 2015 (8:00 AM-12:30 PM)Sunday, June 07, 2015 (8:00 AM-12:30 PM)Sunday, June 07, 2015 (1:30 PM-6:00 PM)

Ken,

Just found out that 611 is en route Manassas today. It will arrive at the NS facility (probably the one at the wye) as the info I received said that it would be at the Manassas NS facility and would be off limits to the general public.

Scott

Are we in a new era of steam restoration. I just watched a video of the Pere Marquette, #1225. No date was given for it’s restoration but I presume it was recent. It seems to me that the 90’s was the last great era of restoring steam locomotives. I might just be my imagination however.

The Pere Marquette has been running for several years. Hopefully I’ll see it one of these years.

The N&W 611 excursions have been great to see. So far, I’ve chased all the excursions. Plan on chasing in Roanoke over the 4th of July too.

This weekend the SOU 4501 is running excursions from Bristol. If the weather is decent, I’ll hop up there on Sunday.

Ralph

I’m really jealous of you guys that live close to where these mainline engines are running. It looks like I may finally get an opportunity this summer if I can swing it - NKP 765 is doing Buffalo to Corning, NY August 1 and 2. I have family in Buffalo so a trip there would serve two purposes.

She will also be running Allentown to Pittston PA in late August, but I will be in Denver. The last chances for me this season will be Steamtown Railfest or Scarnton to Nicholson, PA in September. NKP 765 Schedule is here: http://fortwaynerailroad.org/events-and-excursions/