Large Scale Central

5th Annual Fall Operating Session

Ric Golding said:
In the words of Jon Radder "This thread sure got hijacked", but that's okay.
Ric, how can you say that? I followed this thread quite easily, one thought to another. They were thought, wern't they?

madwolf

Steve Featherkile said:
I followed this thread quite easily, one thought to another. They were thought, weren't they? madwolf
Entirely unencumbered by the thought process, to steal somebody else's line.

Steam track is up. Batteries are being charged. First half dozen trainorders are at the ready for the crews. Weather forecast looks good. Will do another major leaf pick up on Friday and get the station and track signs out. The whole operation has been tweeked a little more since the last fling in September. So with good food, good friends and some fun anticipated - the weekend approaches.

I know the excitement mounts…:smiley: Have a great time and be sure you POST LOTS OF PICTURES!!

Warren

Knowing me, I’ll forget the camera;)

Note for Tom,

Don’t forget your camera.

For anyone else interested

Batteries are charged, weather is tolerable with minimal precipitation predicted (at least its not going to snow). Food and drink are at the ready and train orders are printed. I think we are ready. I still have to put the turntable and portable siding in place at Cat Dump, but that can be done after people arrive. I tell ya, that Canadian Invasion in September made this event a lot easier.

Well, the first day is complete and it is now Sunday morning and we are tweeking for day two. Sorry, no pictures were taken yesterday. I don’t know, 15 people here and running trains, plus the ability to run some trains myself probably took precedent over the picture taking. Will try to do better today. I did get some pictures this morning. In the Dispatcher’s Office/crew lounge/beanery and sitting at this computer the “Dispatcher’s Board” is behind you.

If you are standing at the “Dispatcher’s Board” and look at the computer you see the RailOps screen, plus a limited view of some of the railroad outside.

That’s the portable steam track immediately outside with “KV Cabins” on the hill behind. “Fiddle” our connection with the outside world and the interchange to this small branchline/tourist attraction/“coal hauler to support our hobby” is rather empty as most of the equipment is out on the line.

From the trackage outside “Fiddle” you can look across the lead to “Steam Track” toward “KV Cabins” and the lumber loading site on the top and that’s “Acorn Oil” down on the lower level.

Here’s a closer look at “KV Cabins”. This used to be a major log loading facility, it now has a “fall cutting” which amuses the guests in the old logger’s quarters, with loading the logs for a haul to the industry park at “KV Water”.

While on the north/east end of the line, you can see the passenger cars awaiting the crowd that is now touring the lighthouse at “Old State Light”. These cars will be picked up by various trains as the Sunday Ops continues.

Right now things are quiet at “Cat Dump”, but the reopening of the mine is creating some tonnage as a car or two of coal a session is hauled out and, of course, supplies are brought in.

While down in the basement, loads are being transferred and equipment is being prepped at the “Timesaver” industrial park in “J. Allen”.

We’ve got about 2 hours before things crank up again. Time to see if I can get some leaves under control.

Nice pics , thanks for shareing , raining here in SW Indiana today .

Nice pics.

Enjoy the second day.

Ric ,
That looks nice , I hope it gives a good day of operating .
As an aside , I do really like the trees , are they Bonsai , or naturally dwarf ? Do you have the name of them ?
Mike

Mike,

Most of the trees are Dwarf Alberta Spruces. Jan, the yardmaster, keeps them trimmed to look like other styles of trees.

We had a very successful second day. Ran 10 trains, transferred 56 cars and moved 1651 tons of product. At least according to RailOps.

I’ve got some more pictures to post, but the Freight Shed seems to be down. I’ll catch up tomorrow.

Ric .
I have been looking at your layout with some degree of envy , it really does look the business . One minor point , I am finding it difficult to envisage the relative levels of everything , I imagine your indoor fiddle to be at waist height . How much of a climb does this impose on the “feeder” tracks ? In turn , does this limit the train lengths to any degree ?
Pretty damn good , anyway .
Mike

Mike,

Trains are limited to about 6 or 7 cars. This is governed more by the branch line feel and the lengths of the sidings, especially the tails of the switchbacks. Always a constant dilemma for some of our visitors that desire to run long trains. Geared locos are used in the high grade areas of getting up to the logging camp at “KV Cabins” and to the mine in the basement at “Owl’s Bend”. Much of the trackage in the basement is known as the “Helix from Hell” as it kept consuming more real estate. The climb from basement benchwork to ready to go outside through the window is about 48 inches of change. We tried hard to keep the grade at 2%, but in some areas it approaches 4.5%.

Thanks for that , Ric , I can imagine that the setup makes the operations that much more interesting . The grade sounds a bit steep , but as you mention no problems , I assume that you don’t have any with the climb . I suppose it’s a case of having the right locos for the job .
Very nice .
Mike

Ric,
Sounds like you had the right weather and had a great time. Maybe one of these days Jean and I can make it. Sure looks like fun.

Mike - Ric didn’t quite answer your question, but I can :slight_smile: In the photo of the Fiddle yard in the garage, the yard lead is the track on the bottom shelf. Note the door through the wall at this level. Ric has left out the second shelf just inside the door to make lifting or setting a car on to the main a simple task (other than the bending over part).

I believe the waist high, or 3rd shelf, is more a combination workbench / car storage.

Ric - Sounds like a great time was had by all. 15 Newbies? - Fantastic. Understand you were busy being the host, etc. - hope someone got some photos of participants and operations.

JR

The “Fiddle” destination in the garage has the track running into it about shin height. The cars set on the shelves by an 0-5-0 shifter.

Jon,

It wasn’t 15 “newbies”, it was more like 15 hardcore Ops style people. We really only had 1 newbie if I remember correctly. That is what made this one so successful, just about everybody has had some experience with the Ops. We do have two young guys from town that are becoming quite accomplished.

Ric Golding said:
Jon,

It wasn’t 15 “newbies”, it was more like 15 hardcore Ops style people.

OK, a miscommunication. I read your earlier message
Ric Golding said:
I don’t know, 15 people here and running trains

and missed the comma. Took it that you had 15 newbiews, as in new to your session. Sorry :o

JR

RIC;

It’s almost that time of year…

I wish I could get there this year, but It can’t happen.
I will be there in FULL spirit though, and look forward to seeing pictures here on LSC of the Greatest of EVENTS.

The Fall "OPERATION" on your pike will always be one of the most sought after events to attend, due to TWO great friends who promote the most important aspecs of the hobby of MODEL RAILROADING.

Friendship and Fun, rule supreme at Ric and Jan's. (I have witnesses to prove it)

Fr.Fred