Large Scale Central

2016 project! SR&RL RR Caboose.....

tac Foley said:

That’s the one!

Thanks for that, Gary. I’m hoping to build a version of it in 2.5" scale - that will be plenty big enough for me.

Besp

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Glad to hear that’s it! I’m pretty sure that’s the caboose David built. I’ll give him a call and see about getting a print I can scan and send over to you.

Just received a nice thick letter in the mail this morning from Mr Alan Carroll of Maine, who took time out to photocopy me a bunch of dimensioned plans for a number of Sandy River vans.

Many thanks to you, Sir, I am very much obliged to you.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Today’s mail brought me a totally fascinating little book - ‘The Maine Scenic Route’ by H. Temple Crittenden, complete with all the end papers, too. What a work of love and artifice the book is - it’s full of lore and stories about this fascinating little line, AND line drawings, too. As well, there are literally hundreds of photographs.

All for $13 including shipping…

Meanwhile, over here in UK where we actually HAVE a full-size replica of van #556 running around on a nine-mile stretch of track that looks remarkably like Maine woods. A few weeks ago, I wrote them a nice cringing/begging letter asking them for a few dimensions to get me started on some photogrammetry - even offered them MONEY :open_mouth: x 10

So far, silence - although I have to say that I met with similar level of help when I contacted the Welsh Highland Railway, the Ffestiniog Railway and the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway. Just what is it with these people?

Here, I’ve been inundated with help from many directions, and I’m really grateful, you know that, right?

Best

tac

POCRR and OML

tac Foley said:

So far, silence - although I have to say that I met with similar level of help when I contacted the Welsh Highland Railway, the Ffestiniog Railway and the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway. Just what is it with these people?

tac, I wish I knew. I thought that many of those groups stated goal was, “to preserve the old railroads to educate people”. But, when I too ask for a little bit of education, I get silence, same as you.

Well, for me it’s four out of four tries that have failed. My last building effort - the WHR SAR brake van - was made manageable by having a single end shot of the brake van in the shops, clearly parked on the 1’ - 11.75" track. I took all my calculations from that, and it turned out quite well.

Best

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

tac, one good photograph can do that.

Ah, I don’t think you’ve seen the result - it might make you change your mind!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpzWyLvlfUI

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

tac, I dunno. I looks respectable to me.

I built my Billmeyer and Small’s combine from one grainy black and white photograph.

Did I say ‘beautiful’ to that?

Beautiful. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

Thanks.