Large Scale Central

1:1 Scale Track Loop

Oh, ok. I understand

Bob is right. All the coal mine’s around here have loops. Pattiki loop in Carmi has only one way in and out. The rest of the mines have wye’s.

Matt, actually, the Pattiki mine also has a Y within the mine property, but there is only one way into the mine from the EVWR mainline…

Another loop track is the old ““Inland Mine”” spur… Used to be coal, but the coal mining was abandoned, and they reworked the silos to handle crops… Switch off the EVWR mainline is at Thackery, IL and heads south across Route 14 (I think), a few miles east of McLeansboro, IL…

Andy, I had to google map that. lol. I thought you were meaning there was one further in. I was just considering the wye off the main going in as one. I guess there are 3 wye turnouts at the entrance off the evwr main.

I’m not familiar with the Inland Mine. I’ll have to look into that. There is the White Oak mine just west of Mcleansboro.

Actually, Matt, there are 2 mines just west of Mcleansboro… One just north of the highway, it has a 2-track loading loop, and one southwest of the highway, about 10 miles from the mainline… The one to the south has a “Y” connection with the EVWR mainline, just east of the mile long siding…

Have not gone down to the southwest one yet…

At the Patiki mine, when the train enters, it makes a full clockwise circle within the loop, before it runs again under the loader to start loading… That way, it gets the whole train within the mine trackage and doesn’t block the mainline…

Andy Clarke said:

Actually, Matt, there are 2 mines just west of Mcleansboro… One just north of the highway, it has a 2-track loading loop, and one southwest of the highway, about 10 miles from the mainline… The one to the south has a “Y” connection with the EVWR mainline, just east of the mile long siding…

At the Patiki mine, when the train enters, it makes a full clockwise circle within the loop, before it runs again under the loader to start loading… That way, it gets the whole train within the mine trackage and doesn’t block the mainline…

The mine just north of the highway was discovered in its infancy by us on one of our road trips. A small sign marked “Ambulance Entrance” was just to intriguing for us to pass up. Had to turn around and go see what was going on. Over the last few years, we have seen the whole thing grow to a massive facility. Fun to see from the beginning to today. Actually, you might be able to see the changes in Google History, by changing the dates at the bottom of the Google Map Screens.

Andy Clarke said:

I’m trying to picture where the one south of highway is. Are you talking about the old one that was closed for years? It’s before you get to Mcleansboro. There’s one in Galatia too. I need to get on google maps. lol.

Matt, the one south is just east of the old north-south IC line, which now is CN, I believe… It’s about a 10-12 mile run from the EVWR mainline, southwest of the “Y” at the EVWR mainline… Tracks cross Rte 142, just west of Mcleansboro… (I think it’s 142)…

Andy Clarke said:

Matt, the one south is just east of the old north-south IC line, which now is CN, I believe… It’s about a 10-12 mile run from the EVWR mainline, southwest of the “Y” at the EVWR mainline… Tracks cross Rte 142, just west of Mcleansboro… (I think it’s 142)…

Ahhhh. I know where you are talking now. Well, I don’t know where the mine is…lol, but I know where the tracks cross the highway. You’re correct. It’s 142 and it’s before you get to White Oak. I’d forgotten about that crossing.

On a side note, I’ve seen two CN Coal trains go through Carmi now.

OK, running which way??

edited to say, saw which way on the video…

I love this thread!

Here’s a loop from the Virginia & Truckee. It was made in a natural bowl next to the Carson river, for the Yerington Smelter.

Here’s how the track ran.

Andy Clarke said:

OK, running which way??

edited to say, saw which way on the video…

lol…East bound. I think that was at county road 800 east. It’s the crossing right behind Colony West where they put the new siding in a couple years ago.

Cliff, now that would make a nice place for a tourist railroad. One could run them tourists roundy roundy till they got sick. They would end up feeling like they were on Christmas tree set ups at home.

David Maynard said:

Cliff, now that would make a nice place for a tourist railroad. One could run them tourists roundy roundy till they got sick. They would end up feeling like they were on Christmas tree set ups at home.

Interesting idea Dave, especially since the area is basically a shooting range, where they aim at that last remaining wall of the smelter. That would add a nice thrill factor for the tourists on the loop.

:wink:

Hearing the sounds of gunfire on mass transportation… (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Um, ah, you can get that effect in several urban areas already. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)