Large Scale Central

Dcc and mtx

I am just staring. I want to run more than one train on the same track at the same time. What do I need? What should I look out for? What is the best way to do it. Who makes the best product?

THanks to all

What is “mtx”?

What are you staring at? :wink:

Now thats a can of worms. You can go a bunch of directions. Track power and DCC, onboard batteries with RC.

I wasn’t able to type for some dumb reason. I meant “starting” and I think I meant MTS. Anyway, what I’m trying to ask about is running more than one train on the same track at the same time. Does the Crest Trainmaster do that well?

Next question.
What is a Crest Trainmaster?

Aubrey, I think everyone is needing a little more information. What sort of trains do you plan to run? How do you plan to run them? Are you going with a track powered line, or batteries/radio control? I think you mean a Crest Train Engineer. In response to your question, no. Its not what you are looking for. All the TE is is a radio controlled throttle.

For multiple locomotive operation you have two options DCC or Batteries. DCC involves using track power, with all the associated wiring, track cleaning and so forth one expects with a track powered layout. The other option is rechargeable batteries with a radio control set up. Personally I went RC and batteries. I don;t know what you talents or likes and dislikes are, but a simple RC install in a locomotive isn’t too hard to execute, not really any worse than a decoder install for DCC, and in the end…thats all the wiring ya have to worry about. Of course where you are and your average weather conditions can make a big difference .

Thanks Bart - At least SOMEONE on here can ignore typos and simple mistakes and give a clear answer instead of a smart ass response.

I’ll just add that there is and on-board version of the Train Engineer that can be used for self-contained battery-R/C and some of us adapt the track side receiver for use in a trail car or large tender.

Welcome Aubrey - If you want to learn about Battery R/C this is the right place. Just ignore the the not so friendly remarks. We can be a cantankerous bunch :smiley:

Jon

Jon,

My concise reply was given off board, with the links to the information, in a reply to an email from Aubrey. :wink: :slight_smile:

Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jon,

My concise reply was given off board, with the links to the information, in a reply to an email from Aubrey. :wink: :slight_smile:

And so did I. But by answering off-line we aren’t adding anything to the content of LSC that others might learn from by simply reading the board.

I was a bit cranky when I posted earlier - hadn’t finished my first cup of coffee after a very long night.

Jon

Hell, Im cranky after my first POT of coffee… Cranky is sometimes par for the course here.

Surly to bed and surly to rise…

the original was garbled.

Jon Radder said:
Hans-Joerg Mueller said:
Jon,

And so did I. But by answering off-line we aren’t adding anything to the content of LSC that others might learn from by simply reading the board.

I was a bit cranky when I posted earlier - hadn’t finished my first cup of coffee after a very long night.

Jon

Point taken!

Here it is from Tony’s Train Exchange the DCC Primer. Recommended reading to get the feet wet!

Don’t ask what is going on in Cyber Space GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I’m always cranky…just less so after the 2nd pot of coffee…