Large Scale Central

Its how you do it that counts

The 4 year old grandson was here yesterday for a marathon train running session. Since getting back from the train shows of the last 2 weekends, I let the train stuff sit. It was planned that all would be put back away as part of the playing trains with the grandson. Over the day, with breaks for cookies, plowing snow at the marina with tractor (I can still remember the first time I got to ride with my grandpa on his brand new 1952 Ford tractor), watching train movies while we ate and seeing the great grandpa, it was all accomplished. I do believe the only thing that needs to be put away is Gordon and coaches on the HO layout. Nothing got broken, grandson and grandfather are both exhausted, but the tasks were accomplished.

We must have done something right. My daughter is totally upset about her son riding on a tractor and she’s very upset that he was allowed to ride in the front seat of the jeep, without his booster seat, and only the seat belt holding him in (passenger air bag turned off). I don’t know what she is upset about, I didn’t let him drive, yet. She decided that what happens in Carlyle, stays in Carlyle. Works for me. Do you know I’ve had to teach him to pee standing up and he has a father in his life? My own personal battle againsting “wuszing”. God, help this Nation. I guess we are going to have to learn to write our name in the snow. I might get in trouble for that one.

“Got any great-grandkids?”

“Naw. Got one that’s fair-to-middelin’, but not a one I’d call great.”

What a great day!

(My boys didn’t know you could sit down to pee.)

My Granpa used to take me out to the woodshed to help him cut kindlin for the kitchen stove. I learned how to use a hatchet at 5. He would drag out his pipe, fill it with wonderful smelling terbaccy, and share it with me, always admonishing me not to tell Granma. :smiley: I intend to be as good of an influence with my grandkids. I’ve already started them on trains.

There are something that only a grandfather should teach.

Ric Golding said:
My daughter is totally upset about her son riding on a tractor and she's very upset that he was allowed to ride in the front seat of the jeep, without his booster seat, and only the seat belt holding him in (passenger air bag turned off). I don't know what she is upset about, I didn't let him drive, yet. She decided that what happens in Carlyle, stays in Carlyle. Works for me. Do you know I've had to teach him to pee standing up and he has a father in his life? My own personal battle againsting "wuszing". God, help this Nation. I guess we are going to have to learn to write our name in the snow. I might get in trouble for that one.
Yep - and what happens, and stays, in Carlyle is between Grandpa and Grandson. Your daughter, though she may not admit it, would not want it any other way.

Hey Rick,

It sounds like you and your grandson had a great day. Who cares what the parents have to say, its our jobs as grandpa’s to teach them things the right way (standing is the only way to pee for a boy). I’m lookiing foward to all this snow melting so I can get the layout running, and the grandkids can come over and run the trains with me. I have a Bachmann circus train I have been saving just for them. It will be battery powered with a remote controller so they can follow it around the layout

I currently have 5 grandkids, 3 girls and 2 boys, but a 3rd boy is on his way. It will be my oldest son’s 3rd child, but his first boy; and boy is he excited. Of course, so are grandma & grandpa.

Besides, we have to remember one thing, as grandpa’s its our job to teach and spoil them. Because we love them.

Chuck

My grandkids come ofer periodically just to get deprogrammed.

grandkids are a parents reveng.

Steve Featherkile said:
My grandkids come ofer periodically just to get deprogrammed.
Chuckle! I have this vision of Steve with an electrode in each hand!

I only have hope for my No2 grandson so far…he’s three but has already realized that running his Thomas set ups in a circle is boring, and launches on a spree of setting his track up in a true point to point fashion. Now timetable operation, thats gonna take some effort…(I can;t take credit for him peeing standing up, but I can take credit for my granddaughter farting!)

Ric Golding said:
We must have done something right. My daughter is totally upset about her son riding on a tractor and she's very upset that he was allowed to ride in the front seat of the jeep, without his booster seat, and only the seat belt holding him in (passenger air bag turned off). I don't know what she is upset about, I didn't let him drive, yet. She decided that what happens in Carlyle, stays in Carlyle. Works for me. Do you know I've had to teach him to pee standing up and he has a father in his life? My own personal battle againsting "wuszing". God, help this Nation. I guess we are going to have to learn to write our name in the snow. I might get in trouble for that one.
Ah, yes, so much to teach......so little time.

Makin a skateboard from a 2x4 and old skate, ridin a bike without looking like one of the “knights in shining armor”, cobbleing together a “Tom Sawyer” raft from rope and some discarded lumber, playing dodgeball(with a vengence), playing halfball or kickball in the street, swingin upside down from the monkey bars, gettin a snowday off from school and spending all day sledding at your favorite hill (and coming home half frozen at dinnertime)…:wink:

How’d we ever survive…???

Quote:
gettin a snowday off from school and spending all day sledding at your favorite hill
hehe I didn't realize the haybail way down there would be frozen solid. The other kids said I came to the sudden stop, then just kindof rolled off the sled.

I told them I could go farthest!