Large Scale Central

Designing for Operations

Andrè Schofield and I were talking on chat this morning and he was looking for some ideas on how he might change his railroad to be better suited for operations. Right now, his railroad looks something like this:

In a discussion in chat last night, several people suggested adding some run around tracks, which are indicated with the dark lines. He already has a nice layout room, but not all of the space is available for RR use, as he needs room for the stove and his workbench.

I made a few suggestions and one thing led to another. Pretty soon, I decided to start a forum topic here for input from the rest of the group. I’m thinking that each of us might come up with some neat ideas on how to help Andrè improve his layout. The guidelines? The room is 24’ x 36’, but one should probably limit it to the area shown above. The grid lines are 4 feet apart. There is no need for continuous running, as he can achieve that through the use of the overhead layout. This is mostly for single user operations. Switches are Aristo Wide or LGB R3. Curves are LGB 1175, which we think are just a bit smaller than 4 foot radius. You can use the existing bench work or change it to something else. Andrè has said he has been considering a liftout or folding bridge, if necessary. There is storage area under the existing benchwork. This could be used to stage trains between sessions.

One other thing. He has the following buildings:

Engine house 1 41x25.5
engine house 2 20x10 can be separated into flats
Coal tower 12x12
Farm store 13x19
Farm shed 17 x10
Passenger Platform 20x10
Elevator 14x8
Switch tower 10x7
Saloon 17x8
house 12x11
hotel 15x10
shed 8x5.5
station 24x11.5
Pass. platform 2 19.5x9
Freight depot 14x9
Pass depot 8.5x9
Pass. platform3 10x5

Not all have to be used. What is not used can go outside.

My first thought was to eliminate the continuous running and double track appearance. I also decided to eliminate one of the yards. Andrè has some engine sheds, but I dislike having non-revenue buildings on my layout. I do like town buildings where you can fit them in, but for operations, I like the idea of places to deliver and pick up goods. I thought it might be nice to minimize disruption of his current layout, so rather than try a redesign, I decided on just minor modifications. I also tried to straighten sidings, where appropriate, as I don’t like curves next to the buildings.

(http://www.jbrr.com/Pics/Design/Andre/AndreV1.jpg)

An operating session could go like this: 1. Make up train in the yard. Yes, you’ll foul the main, but you’re the only one operating. 2. Set out from the yard, headed clockwise. 3. Bypass the “Flats” for now. They will be switched on the return. 4. Take the track that goes by the freight depot and switch that. 5. Swing around to the main industrial area. There are two industries there - that used to be the engine house. There’s also a coal tower. All can be switched, plus the loco could coal up. Perhaps a water tower could be added here as well. 6. You’ll have to use the run around to switch the saloon. (I know, it’s not really an industry, but something had to go there!) 7. Now, head back to the flats and switch whatever ends up there. 8. Heading back to the yard, take the loop around and switch the farm store. 9. Looking at this, I’m not sure why I left the passenger station and platform in there - but these could be swapped out for something else. 10. Done, back into the yard. I’d say there’s at least an hours worth of operation.

Operations is many times just a state of mind. It is the need to operate the trains with a purpose, not just run trains. There are many good books that will get you into the mind set. In the last six months or so, Model Railroader has been running some last page articles that deal with Operations.

A quick look at the layout gives me the idea of an out and back style ops. Use one yard as a staging area and the other as an industrial complex. Just because you can run in a circle doesn’t mean that other railroads don’t do the same thing. Jon Radder has a balloon track turn around near his house. So the loop around the yard is not even out of the ordinary.

You can develop the car card principal of ops or go to a computer program like RailOp. There is also the easiest form of OPs which is to trade like cars for like cars. Then of course there is my favorite which turns any railroad to a point to point by simply putting a brick on the track and stopping the loop capabilities.

These are always great discussions. I hope we haven’t just answered your questions, but cause you to think about questions and with others input come up with your own answers.

Always a start is to create a history and a purpose for your railroad.

Enjoy - great way to start the year.

Just to keep it interesting I’d add another passenger station on the industry track opposite the run around track…makes you park the switcher off the main while the passenger train does it’s thing…

Ken do you mean on the track to EH1?

Andre’

First question, because it would affect how I suggest the layout might be designed is to ask if his indoor layout is track powered or battery. If it’s battery, then the single main along the “flats” is fine. Otherwise if he’s track power I might suggest that his layout remain continuous run with it double tracked along the “flats” His current layout is essentially what I have…a folded dogbone.

In my world only one town exists on the layout…Martha’s Mills. In fact the entire visible part of the layout is the town. There is a small yard which is treated more like a pair of team tracks, a station, freight house, the mill and a logging siding. There is also a 2 track engine servicing facility that can receive fuel and sand. Instead of my switching operations originating from the yard, they originate from a way freight. As both ends of my dogbone are hidden I take advantage of this by using one loop as a hiding point for the freight. The freight arrives in town, leaves off the cars for the current session and picks up the ones that are no longer needed and trundles off scene…back to it’s hidden loop. Now it’s time to get down to “work” and switch out the industries. I use to use 3 x 5 cards but never was full satisfied with them so now it’s more done by whim…until I can figure out something I really like…and follows the KISS principle.

Track power is used on the current layout for continuous running but Battery power is used for operations.

Andre’

Andrè Schofield said:
Ken do you mean on the track to EH1? Andre’

Yea, Andre…on the outside of the run around track. And, if there’s room, move the other station to the opposite side of the yard tracks. As for a switch list, Bart came up with a rather simple one that I modified for my own use on the 0n30 layout. Keeps ya busy for about an hour…

(http://www.geocities.com/RodeoDrive/4497/SW01.gif)

On this layout I use the passenger train to remove any empties that are in town and move them to their proper destinations off scene…

(http://www.geocities.com/kenbrunt/0n30lyt.jpg)

Hehehehe I can’t take credit for it Ken…it was an article that Kevin Strong did way back there somewhere…I call it a switching matrix. Incidentally, Shop facilities are industries too…they receive parts, fuel, lubricants, paint, sand, employees…(how bout commuter service on the belt line?) One operational ‘Enhancment’ is to designate an odd ‘Bad Order’ car that requires handling back to the shops for repairs…

Darn, Bart beat me to it. The locomotive shops are indeed several industries by themselves. In addition to the ones listed by Bart, you can add delivering coal, taking away cinders, icing of reefers, RIP track (oops, Bart already got that one), MOW activities.

There is a lot to model.

Why not completely eleminate the return tracks and put in a round table on each end? By the looks of it, Andre, you are going to be running small switch engines, so it would not have to have a big footprint.

Bruce, I like your ideas.

OK, here’s what my track laying attempt to emulate Bruce’s idea looks like:

(http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/lkydvl/benchwork/benchtrackrework.jpg)

Sorry for the mayhem in the pic… I switched the EH2 and coal tower sidings and added a short track that stops near the passenger platform. Figured to use it for a caboose or a switcher spot while the yard was being filled. Whatchya think? no track is secured to the plywood yet so I can easily alter it if you come up with some changes. Next I’m on to the double track along the right wall. Will change it into two sidings there. Andre’

I like it! Operate it for a bit and see how it feels to ya…

Bart Salmons said:
I like it! Operate it for a bit and see how it feels to ya....
Thats the good part of sectional track and battery power. Nothing has to be perminent.. Run for a bit, see how you like it, and tweak to suit.

Andrè Schofield said:
OK, here’s what my track laying attempt to emulate Bruce’s idea looks like:

(http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g5/lkydvl/benchwork/benchtrackrework.jpg)

Sorry for the mayhem in the pic… I switched the EH2 and coal tower sidings and added a short track that stops near the passenger platform. Figured to use it for a caboose or a switcher spot while the yard was being filled. Whatchya think? no track is secured to the plywood yet so I can easily alter it if you come up with some changes. Next I’m on to the double track along the right wall. Will change it into two sidings there. Andre’

What was in the can?

Just a Pepsi. Fr. Fred is hording all the good stuff…:smiley:

Fred hoarding all the good stuff? When did Canada conquer America? 'Tain’t right!!!

the Patron was off in the corner near the cumputer. I need it when surfing the web or talking to Bart!

I resemble that remark…